• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Trying to Trade Gauthier and Georgiev's Rights

Phil

On 6/23/2022 at 6:10 PM, The Dude said:

Gauthier pots 20+ goals on another NHL team next year. Book it. 

Dryden Hunt plays 82 games next year and pots 1. Gets extension..  He's gotta be Gallants nephew or long lost kid. 

I'm confident that Hunt could play alongside Crosby and produce like crazy. He's that perfect mold.

1 hour ago, LindG1000 said:

None whatsoever, but Oilers are a good fit for Geo.

Haha if they want more inconsistent goaltending!

Nah, in all reality, it would be nice to see him succeed. You don't work your ass off at your craft to end up a back up when you have the ability to be a starter. Hope someone gives him a shot to start.

10 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Nah, in all reality, it would be nice to see him succeed. You don't work your ass off at your craft to end up a back up when you have the ability to be a starter. Hope someone gives him a shot to start.

Cheap and an obvious step up from either Koskinen or Smith, plus a track record of playing well when he's given the starter's net. He's a low-risk move for a team like Edmonton.

5 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

Cheap and an obvious step up from either Koskinen or Smith, plus a track record of playing well when he's given the starter's net. He's a low-risk move for a team like Edmonton.

Who aren't likely to be a choice destination for any of the big goalie free agents. It makes plenty of sense they might want Geo.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

Who aren't likely to be a choice destination for any of the big goalie free agents. It makes plenty of sense they might want Geo.

Yup. Can't afford to pay MAF or any of the other goalies.

The snag is the return if anything. The Oilers have no mid-round picks this year and my gut said we'd be fine with like...#55 or whatever they were going to have in that range.

3 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

Just remember.  Allaire made him out of nothing. 

Kinda why I say don't spend on a back up and have Allaire work with another project to be the next Georgiev, Talbot or whatever. The man is a God. 

2 hours ago, LindG1000 said:

The snag is the return if anything. The Oilers have no mid-round picks this year and my gut said we'd be fine with like...#55 or whatever they were going to have in that range.

Just throwing it out there but how about the Rangers package Geo with say Lundkvist and get RNH in return? 5.1 cap hit. Signed long term. 2 way guy. Hovers around that 60 point mark as a 2nd line guy.. Playoff performer (37 GP, 28 points). Can slot down when the time comes. 

2 hours ago, LindG1000 said:

Who is actually going to pay MAF though? I'd think that dude would take a team friendly deal to solidify the Oilers biggest hole, be a hero and contend for a cup with 2 of the best players on the roster. 

Is there a market for Fleury,  that he'd want to go to? I'd assume he wants a chance at one more cup. 

7 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Just remember.  Allaire made him out of nothing. 

Kinda why I say don't spend on a back up and have Allaire work with another project to be the next Georgiev, Talbot or whatever. The man is a God. 

How much are you gonna save by taking that risk, for example Wall and Huska's NHL cap hit was 925k last season.  Kinkaid was 825k.  The difference between a Wall/Huska typa and a guy in the 1.2ish range if not less is next to nothing.  Again nobody is going to bat for spending anything close to Geo money, at least I don't think so.

3 minutes ago, jsrangers said:

How much are you gonna save by taking that risk, for example Wall and Huska's NHL cap hit was 925k last season.  Kinkaid was 825k.  The difference between a Wall/Huska typa and a guy in the 1.2ish range if not less is next to nothing.  Again nobody is going to bat for spending anything close to Geo money, at least I don't think so.

I dunno. I'm hearing Motte at 1.4 is too much, from people around here. So, to me every penny counts.  

Also, they could build an asset out of nothing.  If they can turn another undrafted goalie into any kind of trade chip in a year or 2, that's huge. Grabbing Greiss, or Halak doesn't move a needle as far as building assets. Neither of them garnered a trade going into the playoffs,  with a couple teams needing a guy with a pulse for backup. 

It's not a deal breaker.  I wouldn't be upset if they brought in a vet. I'm just thinking a little ahead and aloud. 

7 hours ago, LindG1000 said:

i mean, galaxy braining, but Puljujarvi, then trade Kakko for center?

It'd be very productive to get a RW in the Georgiev trade.  We have no idea at this point if Kratsov is going to be able to fulfill his contract in '23.  Putin hates Panarin and probably would mess with the Rangers if he got the opportunity.

4 hours ago, The Dude said:

Just throwing it out there but how about the Rangers package Geo with say Lundkvist and get RNH in return? 5.1 cap hit. Signed long term. 2 way guy. Hovers around that 60 point mark as a 2nd line guy.. Playoff performer (37 GP, 28 points). Can slot down when the time comes. 

No chance. RNH likes it there and the Oilers won't send him off one year into his contract. That, and a full NMC.

• VINNY! 1

4 hours ago, The Dude said:

Who is actually going to pay MAF though? I'd think that dude would take a team friendly deal to solidify the Oilers biggest hole, be a hero and contend for a cup with 2 of the best players on the roster. 

Is there a market for Fleury,  that he'd want to go to? I'd assume he wants a chance at one more cup. 

I'd guess Colorado would be able to give him a pretty penny. I think a few teams will shuffle up the decks in the coming days, but I'm with you in seeing few fits for a 4M+ goalie on a higher end team.

16 minutes ago, Phil said:

i mean, galaxy braining, but Puljujarvi, then trade Kakko for center?

Maybe. I think the Oilers wouldn't be too pleased with that return, and I'd also wonder if Puljujarvi's contract demands and ultimate growth path fit what we need better than Kakko.

I'd target Ryan McLeod. Big center, good history of two-way play, and decent scoring in the minors.