• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Johnny Gaudreau to Columbus! Signs 7-Year/$68.25M Deal; $9.75M AAV

Phil

On 7/16/2022 at 7:45 AM, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

I dont know much about US cities, but I would think that when u make 9m a year you should be able to find a nice place anyway? Or is it that big of a difference between NJ/NYI/CBJ even for the rich?

Parts/most of Newark are shitholes. It's not a good area around the arena.

But there are quite a few REALLY nice towns within a 1/2 hour.

Then again the road system of NJ is horrible.  No thought, or sense went into the designs of their highways. 

10 hours ago, The Dude said:

Parts/most of Newark are shitholes. It's not a good area around the arena.

But there are quite a few REALLY nice towns within a 1/2 hour.

Then again the road system of NJ is horrible.  No thought, or sense went into the designs of their highways. 

Do other states have these ridiculous traffic circles?

18 hours ago, Pete said:

Bad agent. 

This.

I get that when you're an RFA, your options are extremely limited, but good agents push to send clients to markets they know the player will be happier in. It's pretty clear he never wanted to go to Winnipeg in the first place.

2 hours ago, Phil said:

This.

I get that when you're an RFA, your options are extremely limited, but good agents push to send clients to markets they know the player will be happier in. It's pretty clear he never wanted to go to Winnipeg in the first place.

Wrong thread dude.

My bad, thought I was in Dubois thread.

But on this, I don't know that I blame his agent as much as I do Chuck Fletcher. Everyone knew where he wanted to go, and they did none of the work to allow for it. So he went somewhere else.

Just now, Phil said:

But on this, I don't know that I blame his agent as much as I do Chuck Fletcher. Everyone knew where he wanted to go, and they did none of the work to allow for it. So he went somewhere else.

Nah, it's his agent's fault for picking what's probably the worst choice of the 3...The Isles are close to home and have Barzal and no Trotz. The Devils are close and have Hughes.

The Jackets are...The fucking Jackets who can't afford Laine, today.

That's a bad agent to only have 3 teams lined up for your marquee client on the first day of free agency.

His agent didn't pick. He did. Gaudreau chose the Jackets over better offers. Just like how Panarin chose the Rangers over better offers.

And it was technically four teams, with Calgary wanting to keep him.

His agent was also only ever going to have a handful of teams to negotiate with by default. Gaudreau wanted to go "home" or get a lot closer to it. That likely means Pittsburgh (who couldn't afford him after re-signing all their stars), Philly (who can't afford him), New Jersey, NY Rangers (who can't afford him/can't use him), NY Isles, and I guess maybe an outside shot at a team like Carolina?

43 minutes ago, Phil said:

Yeah. All the Flyers had to do was get rid of JVR and not trade for DeAngelo. Arizona would have taken JVR for sure because the cap hit was $7M, but the real salary was only $4M.

Not to mention, it’s now clear that Gaudreau was willing to take less to go to a spot where he preferred. Just an egregious handling of the cap and roster by Fletcher.

Edited by rmc51

1 minute ago, rmc51 said:

Yeah. All the Flyers had to do was get rid of JVR and not trade for DeAngelo. Arizona would have taken JVR for sure because the cap hit was $7M, but the real salary was only $4M.

Not to mention, it’s now clear that Gaudreau was willing to take less to go to a spot where he preferred. Just an egregious handling of the cap and roster by Fletcher.

I mean, Vegas literally dumped the same player on Carolina for free. For nothing. But apparently, for Chuck Fletcher, it was "too hard."

57 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Crazy! Flyers are struggling to get their footing and make forward progress. One of the top players in the game wants to go there and they don't facilitate it. That literally could have turned the franchise around. Haha Let em struggle. I cant stand Philly.

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Phil said:

His agent didn't pick. He did. Gaudreau chose the Jackets over better offers. Just like how Panarin chose the Rangers over better offers.

And it was technically four teams, with Calgary wanting to keep him.

His agent was also only ever going to have a handful of teams to negotiate with by default. Gaudreau wanted to go "home" or get a lot closer to it. That likely means Pittsburgh (who couldn't afford him after re-signing all their stars), Philly (who can't afford him), New Jersey, NY Rangers (who can't afford him/can't use him), NY Isles, and I guess maybe an outside shot at a team like Carolina?

Go read the Athletic piece. His agent ghosted NJ and NYI. 

The New York Islanders showed interest but couldn’t create the cap room to get more seriously involved, a source suggested.

His hometown Philadelphia Flyers never really got involved, which GM Chuck Fletcher openly confirmed to his local media.

Sources confirmed that the New Jersey Devils offered a seven-year deal, with the dollar amount somewhere “in the nines’. However, the Devils didn’t really hear back for a long time from agent Lewis Gross after they made their offer.

That’s because Gross was busy working on the best offer he got on this day: seven years and a $9.75 million U.S. AAV from the Columbus Blue Jackets.

That appears to be it, as far as a market, for the top unrestricted free agent on this year’s market. It’s stunning, yet maybe not so much.

For one, there’s the flat salary cap to consider. So many teams couldn’t even get into this conversation.

Two, once Gaudreau made the difficult decision to leave Calgary on Tuesday night, wanting to go back East, that cut the field at least by half as well if not more, really.

Gaudreau knew he would lose money by not re-signing in Calgary. Sources confirmed that the Flames upped their offer this past week which ended up being at $10.5 million AAV in an eight-year deal.

The resulting signing in Columbus on Wednesday only reinforced that Flames GM Brad Treliving couldn’t have done anything else to keep Gaudreau. He made the star winger the best offer in the NHL and it wasn’t that close, considering the eighth year and therefore the total dollars.

So to sum up, how did he wind up in CBJ? His agent didn't create a market for him and he took the highest offer outside Calgary, who never had a chance. 

IMO his agent did a shitty job. 

It's not Fletcher's fault, he's not even part of the equation. If Gaudreau regrets this contract in 3 years is he gonna call Fletcher or his agent? 

Edited by Pete