• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Devils Sign Ondrej Palat to 5-Year/$30m Deal; $6m AAV

Phil

Devils are enroute to being a contender for the playoffs again. If they get goaltending we better keep an eye on em.

Imagine, the Devils forwent Hughes for Kakko a few years ago like Montreal did with Wright. Damn, how this would look different.....

12 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Devils are enroute to being a contender for the playoffs again. If they get goaltending we better keep an eye on em.

Imagine, the Devils forwent Hughes for Kakko a few years ago like Montreal did with Wright. Damn, how this would look different.....

Big if, considering they have a current tandem of Blackwood and Vanacek.

They're also gonna run out of cap room real quick.  They already have $30 million tied up in J. Hughes, Hischier, Palat, and Hamilton.   Bratt is going to arb this summer coming off a ppg season.  How much can they pay Sharangovich next summer?  Mercer the summer after that.  In 3/4 years they'll have to pay Nemec, L. Hughes and Holtz. 

They are destined to be in the same cap boat we are, except they'll never have a goalie as good as Shesty for $5.6 million.

If and when they get an NHL starter, sure, maybe, but also, kinda not really, because they're still not great. They remind me of the "scrappy Sens" from a few years back. Kinda good-ish, or like on the way to good, but it's been ten plus years of this mediocrity.

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

If and when they get an NHL starter, sure, maybe, but also, kinda not really, because they're still not great. They remind me of the "scrappy Sens" from a few years back. Kinda good-ish, or like on the way to good, but it's been ten plus years of this mediocrity.

im looking more like 5 years from now. 

2 minutes ago, CCCP said:

im looking more like 5 years from now. 

Oh, I guess, sure. They have a good long-term projection, but I still base everything on having a starting goalie, which they don't. They have, at best, a fringe starter in Blackwood, and a mediocre career backup, and have nothing coming to remedy either. Nico Daws got lit up like a Christmas tree. .893 in 20-something games. That's not even good enough to be a backup.

23 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

They're also gonna run out of cap room real quick.  They already have $30 million tied up in J. Hughes, Hischier, Palat, and Hamilton.   Bratt is going to arb this summer coming off a ppg season.  How much can they pay Sharangovich next summer?  Mercer the summer after that.  In 3/4 years they'll have to pay Nemec, L. Hughes and Holtz. 

They are destined to be in the same cap boat we are, except they'll never have a goalie as good as Shesty for $5.6 million.

Tatar ($4.5mil), Severson ($4.16mil), Johnsson ($3.4mil), and Graves ($3.16mil) all UFAs after this season and all replaceable with guys like Nemec and expanded roles from their prospects. 

I still don’t really get this deal for the Devils. They gave a long term $6M per contract to a 31 year old player. And while Palat was a 50ish point player with Tampa, he might only be a 40ish point player on a team not named Tampa. Are the Devils really that close to contending, or are they a few years away? Wouldn’t the back half of this deal hamstring the team’s cap when they are actually competing?

They could have found decent veteran experience at a much shorter term with less risk.

Edited by rmc51

8 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

Tatar ($4.5mil), Severson ($4.16mil), Johnsson ($3.4mil), and Graves ($3.16mil) all UFAs after this season and all replaceable with guys like Nemec and expanded roles from their prospects. 

I'm aware, but Bratt is a ppg player, it's gonna take 2 of those expiring contracts to pay him.  Sharangovich has a shot to sore 30+ goals in a contract year.  They won't be able to afford quality depth.

2 hours ago, rmc51 said:

I still don’t really get this deal for the Devils. They gave a long term $6M per contract to a 31 year old player. And while Palat was a 50ish point player with Tampa, he might only be a 40ish point player on a team not named Tampa. Are the Devils really that close to contending, or are they a few years away? Wouldn’t the back half of this deal hamstring the team’s cap when they are actually competing?

They could have found decent veteran experience at a much shorter term with less risk.

I agree. This deal to me strikes of what Namestnikov was once he left Tampa until he figured out how to adjust his game. 

Palat next year is a 15g 22a guy in my opinion. 

12 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

The Devils defense stinks. Vanecek, behind that defense, isn’t that great. They can score, that isn’t a problem. But they can’t keep pucks out of the net. 

Palat is a good playoff player. But I still don’t see the Devils as a playoff team. 

Incredibly enough the Rangers and Devils give up the same amount of shots against per game played, yet everybody loves our defense haha.

I'm willing to bet the Rangers also gave up more high danger chances against.