• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The BSBH Unjustly Hated Rangers Power Rankings

Phil

1. Ryan Strome

2. Rick Nash

3. Michael Rozsival

4. Artemi Panerin

5. Alexander Georguev

6. Sean Avery

7. Chris Drury

8 Petr Nedved

9. Marek Malik

10. Jaime Lundmark
11. Jack Johnson

12. Kevin Shattenkirk

I introduce the addition of Kevin Shattenkirk. Life long Rangers fan that left money on the table elsewhere to fulfill a life dream here, gets hurt halfway through his first season, played one more season, then gets bought out only to win a cup with Tampa. Ain’t life grand!

• VINNY! 1

Honorable mention:

Bruce Driver

John McLean

Bobby Holik

Theo Fleury

Mike Keane

Dave Karpa

All players that were exactly what they were before they got here, but were universally hated because hey signed big money deals in the no cap era, and didn't magically turn into Hart Trophy candidates.

Edited by MuddyInTheMiddle
  • Applause 1

1. Ryan Strome

2. Rick Nash

3. Michael Rozsival

4. Artemi Panerin

5. Alexander Georguev

6. Chris Drury

7. Sean Avery -1

8 Petr Nedved

9. Marek Malik

10. Jaime Lundmark
11. Kevin Shattenkirk +1

12. Jack Johnson

6 minutes ago, MuddyInTheMiddle said:

Honorable mention:

Bruce Driver

John McLean

Bobby Holik

Theo Fleury

Mike Keane

Dave Karpa

All players that were exactly what they were before they got here, but were universally hated because hey signed big money deals in the no cap era, and didn't magically turn into Hart Trophy candidates.

I was gonna say Keane,  but I liked the guy and felt he did what he was brought in to do. Skrudland was more of a let down IMO. Both definitely got too much heat.

Did Fleury get any heat? I feel like he was a fan favorite and played his dick off here. 

The others I couldn't stand though. Fans talked up Karpa (any relation to the kid they just drafted?) for months before he was brought in. Was to br this physical defensive wizard. He was invisible  and stu k. 

Driver was just old and done, kind of a hockey dinosaur that the game was passing by. 

Holik just wasn't nasty or hard to play against. Wasn't there beef with him and Jagr? 

Maclean was also just old. 

5 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I was gonna say Keane,  but I liked the guy and felt he did what he was brought in to do. Skrudland was more of a let down IMO. Both definitely got too much heat.

Did Fleury get any heat? I feel like he was a fan favorite and played his dick off here. 

The others I couldn't stand though. Fans talked up Karpa (any relation to the kid they just drafted?) for months before he was brought in. Was to br this physical defensive wizard. He was invisible  and stu k. 

Driver was just old and done, kind of a hockey dinosaur that the game was passing by. 

Holik just wasn't nasty or hard to play against. Wasn't there beef with him and Jagr? 

Maclean was also just old. 

Definitely spot on with McLean and Driver, but did anyone think that they were actually going to improve at the end of their careers?

Fleury I guess I remember people  more having issues more with his off ice problems than his production. 

Karpa(btw, yes that is his son) was a 5-6 defenseman in Anaheim/Carolina, and was largely the same thing here. Was here during the dark ages so the awfulness that was the Ranegrs and that deal did him in.

Holik was the exact same thing , just substitute 3rd line center for 5-6 defenseman. He was never going to be able to handle the role of 1C or 2C.

Another oldie but goody that I forgot to mention as I was typing what a miscast 2C Holik was: Matt Cullen

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MuddyInTheMiddle said:

Definitely spot on with McLean and Driver, but did anyone think that they were actually going to improve at the end of their careers?

Fleury I guess I remember people  more having issues more with his off ice problems than his production. 

Karpa(btw, yes that is his son) was a 5-6 defenseman in Anaheim/Carolina, and was largely the same thing here. Was here during the dark ages so the awfulness that was the Ranegrs and that deal did him in.

Holik was the exact same thing , just substitute 3rd line center for 5-6 defenseman. He was never going to be able to handle the role of 1C or 2C.

Another oldie but goody that I forgot to mention as I was typing what a miscast 2C Holik was: Matt Cullen

Lol I mentioned him earlier. 

1. Ryan Strome

2. Rick Nash

3. Michael Rozsival

4. Artemi Panerin

5. Alexander Georguev

6. Chris Drury

7. Sean Avery

8 Petr Nedved

9. Marek Malik

10. Jaime Lundmark

11. Tony DeAngelo +2
12. Kevin Shattenkirk

13. Jack Johnson

I’ll do it since I guess everyone wants to pretend the hate was fully justified.

1 hour ago, Sod16 said:

We need some historical perspective.  Allan Stanley and Harry Howell were hounded by the gallary gods at the old MSG in the 50s and they both went on to the HOF.

Well I mean it might help if you were alive to see the guy play that you’re adding to the list lol 

45 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Well I mean it might help if you were alive to see the guy play that you’re adding to the list lol 

Yea... And no one really cares about the war stories. There are no charts or spreadsheets to prove it ever happened. 🤣

Edited by Pete
  • LMFAO 2

9 hours ago, Sod16 said:

Okay, can I add Eddie Giacomin, who was shocked by the protests when he was waived because he was being booed immediately before that.

Maybe we can do an old school one in the future for you, ozzy, me, rj, and the other 3 of us from BSBH that were born prior to the Huey Lewis and the News debut 

• LMFAO 1

I’d add Gomez to the list. He had a 70 point season where he was named to an All-Star team, and another season with down numbers on maybe the most offensively deficient Rangers team in 20 years. He was then traded in one of the most lopsided trades in recent memory. He was never really booed as a Ranger, but people look back at his time here as if it was some catastrophic failure, which it really wasn’t even close to being.

Same goes for Holik. Guy was signed here to be one thing, and then asked to play in like 15 different roles. And somehow, he still managed to sneak in a 25-goal season on the worst Rangers team in the last 20+ seasons.

13 hours ago, Sod16 said:

Okay, can I add Eddie Giacomin, who was shocked by the protests when he was waived because he was being booed immediately before that.

I went to the game against the Red Wings back in '75 when he came back wearing #31!!  I had to ask my dad..."why is Eddie on the other team??".  I remember when somebody scored, I think it was Vickers...they booed him....LOUDLY!!!  Red Wings won something like 6-4, but all I remember is the crowd chanting EDDIE all night, and JD coughed up 6.

I was I think 7 yrs old at the time....but we went to a shit load of games back then....lots more than I go now!!!  ....been going since '71-72.  😃

On 7/16/2022 at 3:49 PM, Ozzy said:

I went to the game against the Red Wings back in '75 when he came back wearing #31!!  I had to ask my dad..."why is Eddie on the other team??".  I remember when somebody scored, I think it was Vickers...they booed him....LOUDLY!!!  Red Wings won something like 6-4, but all I remember is the crowd chanting EDDIE all night, and JD coughed up 6.

I was I think 7 yrs old at the time....but we went to a shit load of games back then....lots more than I go now!!!  ....been going since '71-72.  😃

Was there with you, Oz. It was all opposite world that day.

• Cheers 1
  • VINNY! 1

The crowd not only booed goals by the Rangers but cheered goals by Detroit.  Emile said after the game, "I  hope they don't mind losing the two points in April."  It didn't end up mattering.  When Eddie arrived at his home in Manhasset after the game, the entire Ranger team was there waiting with cases of beer.

Does reaction on social media and this board count?  If so, perhaps Panarin should be on the list!

Guys, there's an actual list here you should be adding candidate names to.

1. Ryan Strome

2. Rick Nash

3. Michael Rozsival

4. Artemi Panarin

5. Chris Drury +1

6. Alexander Georgiev

7. Sean Avery

8 Petr Nedved

9. Marek Malik

10. Jaime Lundmark

11. Kevin Shattenkirk
12. Tony DeAngelo -1