• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Panthers Acquire Matthew Tkachuk from Flames for Jonathan Huberdeau, Mackenzie Weegar, Cole Schwindt, 1st Round Pick; Re-Sign to 8-Year/$76 Million Extension; $9.5m AAV

What the fuuuuuck?!?! Wow. 

Florida really took that sweep to heart. They win this deal and zip right back into serious contender territory. They are going to be a smash mouth,  mean team. They may need to add a RW and some better D.  Maybe they move a center to someone for that. 

Tkachuk before this past season wasn’t even a point per game player.  Did he finally come into his own or was this past season a career year?  Only time will tell.  Huberdeau might be the best player in the trade when all is said and done.   This trade will be a wait and see to see who won the trade.  But I think Florida takes a step back this upcoming season. 

Just now, RJWantsTheCup said:

Tkachuk before this past season wasn’t even a point per game player.  Did he finally come into his own or was this past season a career year?  Only time will tell.  Huberdeau might be the best player in the trade when all is said and done.   This trade will be a wait and see to see who won the trade.  But I think Florida takes a step back this upcoming season. 

The only player more overrated that Brady Tkachuk is Matthew Tkachuk. 

• Bullseye 1
  • Applause 1

2 hours ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Johnny Hockey. 

8 hours ago, Pete said:

The only player more overrated that Brady Tkachuk is Matthew Tkachuk. 

I’ll bite because I’m genuinely curious. I kind of view Matthew T as a unicorn but I’ll listen to what makes him overrated. 

thoughts? 

6 hours ago, Keirik said:

I’ll bite because I’m genuinely curious. I kind of view Matthew T as a unicorn but I’ll listen to what makes him overrated. 

thoughts? 

They bring a lot of different dimensions for sure, but the production is not commensurate with the way people talk about these players. 

Up until this year Brady was a 40ish point player. He finally kind of broke out this season. Same thing with Matthew, always been a 70ish point player and scored 100 points this year but is that worth what Florida gave up to get him?

It's a gamble IMO that he could keep putting up those numbers. 

• Cheers 1
  • Applause 1

4 hours ago, Pete said:

They bring a lot of different dimensions for sure, but the production is not commensurate with the way people talk about these players. 

Up until this year Brady was a 40ish point player. He finally kind of broke out this season. Same thing with Matthew, always been a 70ish point player and scored 100 points this year but is that worth what Florida gave up to get him?

Yea, Florida needed some tweaks but this was a HUGE overhauling. 

This will be akin to the over reaction contract that Kadri will sign this off season at some point. 

Calgary just made good on losing two of their best. Good for them.

4 hours ago, Pete said:

I definitely agree that Florida gave up a hail but both of those guys are ufa at thr end and we now really see how difficult it is for Calgary to retain expiring contracts.

I think witg Matthew Tkachuk, je gets valued this high because his ceiling was always projected to ne around what he did this year so it's more of a realization for his potential rather than exceeding it. 

41 minutes ago, Keirik said:

I definitely agree that Florida gave up a hail but both of those guys are ufa at thr end and we now really see how difficult it is for Calgary to retain expiring contracts.

I think witg Matthew Tkachuk, je gets valued this high because his ceiling was always projected to ne around what he did this year so it's more of a realization for his potential rather than exceeding it. 

I miss these classic Keirik posts.

• LOL 1
  • LMFAO 1
  • JIMMY! 1

5 hours ago, Pete said:

I hear you about the Tkachuk brothers being a tad overrated around the league like they're some kind of generational players, which they're not.

But it's not like we're talking about a pair of 30+ year olds putting up a career year out of the blue. Up until this year? Brady only had 3 seasons prior to this and Matthew 5 lol I mean what you're describing there is exactly what teams expect to happen and not something abnormal i.e. a younger player puts up a big season after steadily improving through his developmental years and earns a big contract as he's just about to enter his prime years (24 to 29) which is exactly what the teams are banking on when they sign them to those terms. 

Edited by Karan

6 hours ago, rmc51 said:

I’d love to see this guy’s incident reports.

”The msle was approcimatly 6’1 wearong kjaki shorts and a brihgt ysllow shit”

They don't get typed up on a smart phone with a tiny keyboard lol 

I'm deadly with a real keyboard 🙂

8 hours ago, Karan said:

I hear you about the Tkachuk brothers being a tad overrated around the league like they're some kind of generational players, which they're not.

But it's not like we're talking about a pair of 30+ year olds putting up a career year out of the blue. Up until this year? Brady only had 3 seasons prior to this and Matthew 5 lol I mean what you're describing there is exactly what teams expect to happen and not something abnormal i.e. a younger player puts up a big season after steadily improving through his developmental years and earns a big contract as he's just about to enter his prime years (24 to 29) which is exactly what the teams are banking on when they sign them to those terms. 

Well the thing is (especially with Brady)... There was very little progression, just went straight to explosion, which makes me kind of think it's an anomaly... And with Matthew, to your point his career year just happened to coincide with Johnny hockey's career year. Both in the contract year, strange how that happens... 

Matthew put up 34 and 77 pts as a 21 year old in his 3rd season.  Generally speaking that's a sign that his prime is going to be great.  It's not guaranteed superstar HoF numbers but in the modern NHL it's pretty good, maybe a step below that if he gets lucky and is on the right teams.

Then we had the two seasons touched by Covid and his numbers fell just a bit, as many players did.

Then we get to a "normal season" at 24 and he picks up the pace again and looks to be headed for that great prime again.  Yes, it was a contract year, however it was exactly the season you'd have thought he'd have at 24 given what he did at 21.  The two seasons in between were just weird and in truth he looked pretty good in them also, just not quite as good as you'd have expected given his 21 season.

I'm really sorry the Panthers got their claws on him.  It's not as bad as him winding up on the Hurricanes but it's still not good from a Rangers perspective.  He's still likely to be a top 5 two-way LW from 25 to 27 and those are years we really want to compete.

8 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Matthew put up 34 and 77 pts as a 21 year old in his 3rd season.  Generally speaking that's a sign that his prime is going to be great.  It's not guaranteed superstar HoF numbers but in the modern NHL it's pretty good, maybe a step below that if he gets lucky and is on the right teams.

Then we had the two seasons touched by Covid and his numbers fell just a bit, as many players did.

Then we get to a "normal season" at 24 and he picks up the pace again and looks to be headed for that great prime again.  Yes, it was a contract year, however it was exactly the season you'd have thought he'd have at 24 given what he did at 21.  The two seasons in between were just weird and in truth he looked pretty good in them also, just not quite as good as you'd have expected given his 21 season.

I'm really sorry the Panthers got their claws on him.  It's not as bad as him winding up on the Hurricanes but it's still not good from a Rangers perspective.  He's still likely to be a top 5 two-way LW from 25 to 27 and those are years we really want to compete.

I think you put too much stock into player X did Y by Z year therefore... things. 

37 minutes ago, Pete said:

I think you put too much stock into player X did Y by Z year therefore... things. 

At certain ages you see things out of players that bode well even if they aren't necessarily the hot phenom who is taking the world by storm.

Matt Tkachuk put up 45+ pt seasons at 19 and 20.  He had 37 goals between the two seasons.  Then he had a kick-ass season at 21.  That is exactly what you would expect out of a guy who was going to be a very good player down the road.  Then we had the Covid seasons and he did well although not quite up to the standards of the 21 season they were clear 2L borderline 1L seasons.  Then at 24 All-Star, MVP consideration, Selke consideration.  104 pts.  42 goals.  +57.

That's a progression that makes his prime likely to be very strong.

1 minute ago, Br4d said:

At certain ages you see things out of players that bode well even if they aren't necessarily the hot phenom who is taking the world by storm.

Matt Tkachuk put up 45+ pt seasons at 19 and 20.  He had 37 goals between the two seasons.  Then he had a kick-ass season at 21.  That is exactly what you would expect out of a guy who was going to be a very good player down the road.  Then we had the Covid seasons and he did well although not quite up to the standards of the 21 season they were clear 2L borderline 1L seasons.  Then at 24 All-Star, MVP consideration, Selke consideration.  104 pts.  42 goals.  +57.

That's a progression that makes his prime likely to be very strong.

And Blake Wheeler and Brad Marchand and say hi. 

Edited by Pete

28 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Bad examples due to age.  They weren't even in the NHL until after that 21 season that marked Matthew as a likely star.

They're great examples of what you do at 21 can be irrelevant.