• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Panthers Acquire Matthew Tkachuk from Flames for Jonathan Huberdeau, Mackenzie Weegar, Cole Schwindt, 1st Round Pick; Re-Sign to 8-Year/$76 Million Extension; $9.5m AAV

9 hours ago, Pete said:

They're great examples of what you do at 21 can be irrelevant. 

At 24 Matt Tkachuk just had a season better than either of them put together in their careers.

That's what being very good in the NHL at 19-21 produces before the prime years.  The prime years for Tkachuk are likely to blow away the prime years for Marchand and Wheeler.

Put another way: Marchand 246 career goals, Wheeler 351 career goals, Matt Tkachuk at 24, 152 career goals.

3 minutes ago, Br4d said:

At 24 Matt Tkachuk just had a season better than either of them put together in their careers.

I stopped reading here, because it's inaccurate. Go look at Marchand p/g over the last 5 seasons. 

Regardless, the point here isn't "is he good?", It's "is he overrated" and I'd say yes. You don't have to agree. 

11 hours ago, Pete said:

Well the thing is (especially with Brady)... There was very little progression, just went straight to explosion, which makes me kind of think it's an anomaly...

He had two identical seasons 20+ goals, 45 points, 75+ PIM the first two years as an 18/19 y/old. Then he had 17g, 36p in 56 games in the Covid season (56p/82g pace) which is improvement on the previous years and then last season as 22 y old he improved some more to 30g, 67 points in 79 games.

I don't understand the argument here. You think because he didn't improve his stats from season 1 to 2 as a 20 y old, that he won't improve ever in his career?

There's a lot of progression there and I don't see this "explosion" you're talking about. His career projection looks pretty normal to me.

And a power forward scoring 42g and 100+ points being the most overrated player in the league is an interesting take...

5 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

He had two identical seasons 20+ goals, 45 points, 75+ PIM the first two years as an 18/19 y/old. Then he had 17g, 36p in 56 games in the Covid season (56p/82g pace) which is improvement on the previous years and then last season as 22 y old he improved some more to 30g, 67 points in 79 games.

I don't understand the argument here. You think because he didn't improve his stats from season 1 to 2 as a 20 y old, that he won't improve ever in his career?

There's a lot of progression there and I don't see this "explosion" you're talking about. His career projection looks pretty normal to me.

And a power forward scoring 42g and 100+ points being the most overrated player in the league is an interesting take...

I've made my point clear, I think both of these players are overrated. I never said they aren't good. 

I also don't trust what Matthew did in a contract year playing opposite Johnny hockey in a contract year who also had a career year. 

We will see if he continues to put up 100-point seasons. 

It's okay for you not to understand, and it's okay for you not to agree. 

Edited by Pete

Just now, Pete said:

I've made my point clear, I think both of these players are overrated. I never said they aren't good. 

I also don't trust what Matthew did in a contract year playing opposite Johnny hockey in a contract year who also had a career year. 

It's okay for you not to understand, and it's okay for you not to agree. 

I just think you should have some other arguments than "contract year playing with guuud player" when you throw out he's the most overrated player in the league. Because he's clearly not lol.

Just now, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

I just think you should have some other arguments than "contract year playing with guuud player" when you throw out he's the most overrated player in the league. Because he's clearly not lol.

Well clearly you didn't pick up the sarcasm either, I was comparing the brothers over-ratedness haha. 

On 7/23/2022 at 12:04 AM, rmc51 said:

Great trade for Florida. Tkachuk is exactly what they needed.

I don't really understand it for Calgary. Bad attempt at trying to remain relevant. Huberdeau is 29 and a UFA next summer. Calgary's best path forward was to do at least a partial rebuild, and maybe even copy what the Rangers did, not double down on winning now.

This. You don't lose two 100-point players in a single summer and just say "nah, we're good."

Hell, even just pull a Bruins and suck ass for one year. Actually reset.

28 minutes ago, Phil said:

This. You don't lose two 100-point players in a single summer and just say "nah, we're good."

Hell, even just pull a Bruins and suck ass for one year. Actually reset.

I almost feel bad for these cities where guys don't wanna live and play...Calgary. Winnipeg. Edmonton. Buffalo. Arizona (whatever city they end up in).

• Phil changed the title to Panthers Acquire Matthew Tkachuk from Flames for Jonathan Huberdeau, Mackenzie Weegar, Cole Schwindt, 1st Round Pick; Re-Sign to 8-Year/$76 Million Extension; $9.5m AAV
5 hours ago, Long live the King said:

We'll see how open they are after living there for a year.

They're older and they're Canadian.  Tkachuk was a young US player and Calgary probably never felt like a real long-term option.

If Huberdeau and Weeger are planning on raising families Calgary may be just what they are looking for.

Edited by Br4d

1 hour ago, Br4d said:

They're older and they're Canadian.  Tkachuk was a young US player and Calgary probably never felt like a real long-term option.

If Huberdeau and Weeger are planning on raising families Calgary may be just what they are looking for.

Huberdeau is from a Montreal suburb.  This is like saying Fox would be happy to raise his family in Buffalo since he's from Long Island.