• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

NHL 23 Reveal Coming August 23

Phil

3 hours ago, Pete said:

This is fucking moronic. Change the name of the game if you want to put a woman on the cover. Simply because women do not play in the NHL.

As a few have hinted at, this isn’t directed at hockey fans, it’s for gamers. And those dorks would buy this for a woman on the cover.

id rather have it be only a woman, if this is the route they want to go. But go poulin. But that’d go against my first point, lol 

Very disappointed again in what I've see so far,  and they added More fudge plays and now it'll be more impossible to knock opponent off puck with this new last chance puck movement.

Can't wait to play online and opponents constantly pull the Michigan off and the flip from behind net.

Been buying since 93, should be time to let someone else take over reigns of NHL gaming.

31 minutes ago, -ERIK- said:

Very disappointed again in what I've see so far,  and they added More fudge plays and now it'll be more impossible to knock opponent off puck with this new last chance puck movement.

Can't wait to play online and opponents constantly pull the Michigan off and the flip from behind net.

Been buying since 93, should be time to let someone else take over reigns of NHL gaming.

its just such a shit show. You can’t hold on to the puck if you have it and you can’t knock it off someone if you don’t. 

I tried out the beta pretty extensively last night. It's not bad, but it's not good either.

The game feels much closer to how it did at NHL 22's launch with some of the advertised changes for 23 thrown in — That's not entirely bad because NHL 22 at launch was better balanced than NHL 22 currently is. The downside is that some of the changes do feel a bit too significant.

Positives

Skating - Back to feeling more distinct with different ratings like at the start of 22. Edges and balance seem to make more of a difference. My only negative would be the boost in puck carrier speed and decrease in speed for players using defensive skill stick, they need to reduce both.

Puck control - Handling the puck feels smoother because of better stick handling and skating. Any time the puck has gotten knocked loose it's been from reasonable contact. Incidental contact and checks from weak hitters don't knock the puck loose as aggressively as before — I do like this as it forces players to not use themselves as missiles. I also think the overall better balance and puck control limits the stumble animations. I've seen only seen two in a number of games.

Shot variety - They didn't advertise a change in shooting but pucks do feel like they come off the stick differently, backhands especially. It just feels looser and more authentic.

Poke check - The change to accuracy while poke checking from behind only really affects those who spam poke check or have no manual accuracy.

Michigan and Zegras Flip - They're no more present than last year, so practically nonexistent. 

Negatives

Goalies - They move nicely with their new animations, but they're garbage right now.

Passing - They upped the auto-assist because I guess passing was too hard for people despite two abilities players could combo for auto-assist. Now there's far too much. Passes get through the slot far too easily. Seems like they're penalizing defensemen for forwards not knowing how to pass well.

Bugs - Lots of the same bugs from NHL 22 that you think would have been fixed, and some even worse visual ones. The faceoff time skip is still around. I got three distinct instances where sections of the ice just started flashing randomly in different shapes.

I'd weigh my experience as slightly more positive than negative, although I can't really say I enjoyed myself. Most of my grievances could be adjusted by launch to make it an enjoyable game like how launch 22 was for me. My expectations are very low, though.

• Applause 2

• 3 months later...