• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Nils Lundkvist Won't Report to Camp; Traded to DAL for 2023 1st and 4th

RichieNextel305

2 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Alex Turcotte

That’d be huge.

id hope it ld be a more nhl-ready guy. If they are going that route, I’d look at a big body like John Beecher but he sucked in college after getting drafted 

21 minutes ago, Phil said:

I don't think it's this at all. I think he literally sees the writing on the wall and recognizes he's completely blocked out of a meaningful role here. He wants to go somewhere he has a better shot at making it.

Sure, but Brooks notes "Top 4 and PP quarterback." That's a little more than just making the team.

2 hours ago, LindG1000 said:

This screams Ryan Poehling.

Brooks says that this is not a recurring theme(like with Andreson & Kravtsov), but it kind of sort of is. Sitting out training camp doesn't help the Rangers move him with a 4 point 25 games resume.

This is also on Drury for holding on to him for too long, as it was obvious at the trade deadline, that there was no spot for him on this roster. I thought he was trade bait. He couldn't have used Lundqvist to build a similar package for Copp, that didn't include either the condition on the 2nd rounder or Morgan Baron? It's kind of funny how they are looking for a center prospect now.

I would do Ryan Poehling(who seems similarly blocked in Montreal) straight-up for Lundkvist in a NY minute. 

Also, was he told who the 3LD would be? Why not battle for it? If he wins it, I’d think, between them, Schneider and Lundkvist could figure it out. They’ve both played a small amount on their off side, but I’d have loved to see Lundkvist shot over there as a constant threat on the left side. 

Nooo. This didn't happen. Stop. He's going to want to stay in Hartford. He LOVES Hartford. Everyone loves Hartford. Who says he can't make the roster? 

I'm assuming a better Carpenter type, whom also has played for Gallant at one time, will be the acquisition here. Gotta be a mediocre bottom 6 center out there that excelled for him. 

Someone should have saw this coming a long time ago.  

16 hours ago, Drew a Penalty said:

This is a prospect thinking he's too developed and wanting an assured roster spot elsewhere. Why? Because another Rangers prospect out developed him. But yeah "wah wah we're chasing all of the Euros away."

16 hours ago, Pete said:

There are other things that could also be true. If you looked at the depth chart and saw 10 year deal, 4 years left and awarded the C, and a mean gritty rookie more suited for the third pair anyway...Would you want to stay?

I just don't know that I'd jump directly to the entitlement issue just yet.

16 hours ago, Phil said:

I don't think it's this at all. I think he literally sees the writing on the wall and recognizes he's completely blocked out of a meaningful role here. He wants to go somewhere he has a better shot at making it.

This isn’t a whiny, entitled prospect who thinks too much of himself based on what he’s shown.

He simply sees what’s in front of him, i.e., 3 RH D that are pretty firmly entrenched in front of him, no chance to crack the top-4 and play significant minutes, a fairly long shot at any PP time, and all in an organization that has made it abundantly clear that they only play RH D on the right side.

I don’t blame him. Players want to play. 
He is fairly unlikely to do so here and he, and I’m sure his agent, see that.

As for return, we will see. The business of his stock dropping is overblown I think. Prior to last season, him and Seider were the top-2 D prospects in all of hockey. Yes, he didn’t crack NHL roster, and visibly struggled at times when up with the big club. But had a solid showing in Hartford.

What he did last year is EXCEEDINGLY common for European kids playing first season in NA pro. 

It doesn’t change his ability level. Nor his ceiling. Nor the fact that he will very likely improve quite a bit. 

They should get a decent return. 

Id like an equivalently aged and priced forward if possible. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 2

23 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

This isn’t a whiny, entitled prospect who thinks too much of himself based on what he’s shown.

He simply sees what’s in front of him, i.e., 3 RH D that are pretty firmly entrenched in front of him, no chance to crack the top-4 and play significant minutes, a fairly long shot at any PP time, and all in an organization that has made it abundantly clear that they only play RH D on the right side.

As for return, we will see. The business of his stock dropping is overblown I think. Prior to last season, him and Seider were the top-2 D prospects in all of hockey. Yes, he didn’t crack NHL roster, and visibly struggled at times when up with the big club. But had a solid showing in Hartford.

What he did last year is EXCEEDINGLY common for European kids playing first season in NA pro. 

It doesn’t change his ability level. Nor his ceiling. Nor the fact that he will very likely improve quite a bit. 

Have to assume that this leak came from Lundqvist's camp, as this will make it harder for Drury to get value if every team in the NHL knows that he wants out. Really don't see what they had to gain doing that. 

9 minutes ago, MuddyInTheMiddle said:

Have to assume that this leak came from Lundqvist's camp, as this will make it harder for Drury to get value if every team in the NHL knows that he wants out. Really don't see what they had to gain doing that. 

That’s a fair guess.

But it’s not as if his name hasn’t been out there for a year plus at this point as having been discussed as trade bait.

Obviously, this is different. But it’s not a huge issue I don’t think. 

51 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

It's pretty shitty timing. Why not be a bit quiet about it and either request a trade over the summer, or request a trade and play like a good soldier? Kravstov got shit on for not wanting to prove himself in Hartford and going home.

This is only slightly different.

There being concerns about his size and his overall game, kinda hinders his trade value if he's not going to be here on NA ice. 

I can't see them getting much value back. With Fox and Trouba here, they should have tried to move him 2 years ago. They should probably look into moving Jones too as he really doesn't have a path here either.  

If only someone thought of this a while ago.  

17 minutes ago, The Dude said:

It's pretty shitty timing. Why not be a bit quiet about it and either request a trade over the summer, or request a trade and play like a good soldier? Kravstov got shit on for not wanting to prove himself in Hartford and going home.

This is only slightly different.

There being concerns about his size and his overall game, kinda hinders his trade value if he's not going to be here on NA ice. 

I can't see them getting much value back. With Fox and Trouba here, they should have tried to move him 2 years ago. They should probably look into moving Jones too as he really doesn't have a path here either.  

If only someone thought of this a while ago.  

Well he probably did request a trade over the summer

And it didn’t happen. Camps open in days. So yeah… his camp leaked it

He's more of a shooter than a PPQB, right? No way he's getting that PP2 time over Trouba, and even still it's maybe 30 seconds each PP we get. He's not really what we need right now. Might as well try to leverage him as an asset. Unfortunately, we probably should've moved him instead of another asset last deadline, or at the draft. His value is pretty low right now. 

Seems like a good player and probably would've been good for us, unfortunately we have an epic ass load of pretty good defenseman here, and on top of that they're still young and improving.  We'd be lucky to even keep what we have without being "cap casualties"!

I just wish this guy had more value, so we could get a better return but that's the way it goes.

I hope he has a great career....just not against us (like all the others!)  LOL

30 minutes ago, Slobberknocker said:

Drury will be patient here and get good value in return i believe.  his feet are no where near the fire.  there are plenty of teams in the league that can use this guy.  

5'11 187 from what i hear is wishful thinking however.

yeah but it doesn’t look like that’s going very well for Drury 

“We did request a trade when Nils was sent down last year,” his agent Claude Lemieux said via text. “We hope something can get done in the next few weeks.”

https://www.foreverblueshirts.com/nils-lundkvist-request-trade-last-season/

I'm not sure I understand the tactic on his part. He didn't exactly shoot out the lights in Hartford. He should stay there and kick ass this year, even if he isn't traded. If he goes back to Sweden and has a strong year, it's just going to reinforce the narrative that his game doesn't translate to NA. Despite Brook's assurance, I'm feeling some Kravtsovesque petulance here.