• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Nils Lundkvist Won't Report to Camp; Traded to DAL for 2023 1st and 4th

RichieNextel305

12 hours ago, Pete said:

Well some people claim that the city of Hartford is the issue, as if it's any better than Bridgeport or Manchester or Ontario, California. 

I mean I have never actually stayed in any of these cities but I've driven through Hartford, Bridgeport, and Ontario CA.  Both CT cities are dumps lol.  I don't remember much of Ontario except for the airport and whatever the military base was that we drove to from the airport.  Regardless, a dump with palm trees is better than a dump without them lol.

7 hours ago, CCCP said:

Like I said, they picked the best available player at the time and it is backfiring. But you can spin it any way you want 

Ehhhh not sur I agree.  Unless you have a top 5-10 pick where the player might be NHL ready, or at most a year out, you can't really draft for current need.  You have to take BPA and see where the chips fall when the time comes.

27 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Ehhhh not sur I agree.  Unless you have a top 5-10 pick where the player might be NHL ready, or at most a year out, you can't really draft for current need.  You have to take BPA and see where the chips fall when the time comes.

That scenario is playing out right now and it isnt pretty. I don't think I agree with that sentiment because now we are talking about trading for another draft pick or a random warm body with some upside. If we drafted for need, we would be seeing some kids fight out for open spots on the roster as opposed to negative press about trade requests, burying people in the minors and failing to report. We are watching drafting BPA backfire. 

2 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

That scenario is playing out right now and it isnt pretty. I don't think I agree with that sentiment because now we are talking about trading for another draft pick or a random warm body with some upside. If we drafted for need, we would be seeing some kids fight out for open spots on the roster as opposed to negative press about trade requests, burying people in the minors and failing to report. We are watching drafting BPA backfire. 

And how many times have we seen drafting for need not work out as well?  You draft a winger because you're low on wingers in the present.  3-4 years later when that winger is ready we have too many wingers due to trades/UFA signings to fill the immediate need and now D is the issue instead.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

So you're saying they shouldn't have went BPA, they should have picked based upon players they didn't know they'd have at the time of the pick? 

No. Thats not what I said. I didn’t suggest anything either.  Picking BPA is the best strategy IMO but its backfiring cause it looks to be a waste in this case. 

1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

lol…I agree. Picking BPA is the best strategy but with Lundkvist its backfiring right now.  

we all hoped that when drafting BPAs we could package them for other prospects/players we would have spots for, but thats not happening either. Not sure if its on Drury or just circumstances. 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, CCCP said:

No. Thats not what I said. I didn’t suggest anything either.  Picking BPA is the best strategy IMO but its backfiring cause it looks to be a waste in this case. 

I don't think you can trash an entire strategy because of the one time it didn't pan out. 

• Keeps it 100 1

I don’t think draft strategy has been the problem, recently. Other than maybe Lindbom and Antoine Lefleur. But there’s a reason why you take random shots at these guys (Lundqvist) 

they’ve never been able to develop high picks into consistent star players. The difference between cup winners and the rest. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Why does it seem like BPA is never a fucking center for the Rangers btw?

They don’t draft centers, other than the Andersson, Chytil, Barron draft. And based on that, maybe they shouldn’t draft centers. 

they’ll draft 2 goalies every year, but not centers. If you go BPA, that’s what happens, though. 

1 minute ago, josh said:

They don’t draft centers, other than the Andersson, Chytil, Barron draft. And based on that, maybe they shouldn’t draft centers. 

they’ll draft 2 goalies every year, but not centers. If you go BPA, that’s what happens, though. 

Barron is going to be a really good 3rd/4th line center and I wish we hung onto him to see it. BUT Chytil and Anderson are some of the worst first round draft choices. We all left that draft shaking our heads.

Seriously, with the 1st round pick it shouldn't take 3-4 years to develop the player.  Anybody with the talent to go that high should be in the NHL in a couple of seasons.  If you can't do this regularly you should be adjusting your scouting and your development teams until you can.

After the 1st round it's a different situation but with that first pick you should be getting somebody who is close to ready to go.

6 hours ago, Br4d said:

Seriously, with the 1st round pick it shouldn't take 3-4 years to develop the player.  Anybody with the talent to go that high should be in the NHL in a couple of seasons.  If you can't do this regularly you should be adjusting your scouting and your development teams until you can.

After the 1st round it's a different situation but with that first pick you should be getting somebody who is close to ready to go.

That's not how this works. 7 out of 31 first rounders in 2019 have played 82 or more NHL games. 6 of 31 from 2018 have played more than 164.

13 hours ago, CCCP said:

6 prospects from 4 years ago played full 2 seasons?  That’s actually not too bad. 

Right. But it's not as Br4d says that "Anybody with the talent to go that high should be in the NHL in a couple of seasons.  If you can't do this regularly you should be adjusting your scouting and your development teams until you can." That clearly isn't the case in the NHL, or a realistic expectation.