• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Nils Lundkvist Won't Report to Camp; Traded to DAL for 2023 1st and 4th

RichieNextel305

1 minute ago, Pete said:

Stop comparing sports to office jobs. It's not equitable. 

I also have 20 years experience in my role. So don't ask me "what if you got passed over at your first job out of school"... At 22 I'd shut the fuck up and work smarter and position myself. Hence... Millennial. 

why is it not equitable. we all want to have good careers and make the most money we can. just because someone is an athlete they should just shut up and be happy with their current lot?

1 minute ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

It is fair. But then it's also fair to say that he's waited for the move to be made, presumably with the hopes he could open this season with a new franchise, and Drury hasn't (and again, its not his job to) prioritized Nils' chance at an NHL roster. It would also imply that to start, he handled it exactly how most people here are saying he should have. Report to Hartford, not make a public scene, play hockey and wait for the call.  That hasn;t worked.

Except for the part where he requested the trade right after being assigned to Hartford, and then mailed it in Hartford.

This bleeding heart liberal shit has to stop somewhere. 

Just now, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

why is it not equitable. we all want to have good careers and make the most money we can. just because someone is an athlete they should just shut up and be happy with their current lot?

I didn't think this needed to be said, but apparently it does, sports and office jobs are not the same. There's probably no bigger proving ground then sports where your performance determines your worth and nobody can hide it. 

1 hour ago, Phil said:

You know who else should/might want out? Zac Jones. Especially if he's beaten out by Matthew Robertson, or a veteran waiver claim. You know who hasn't made a huge stink and taken his ball and gone home? Zac Jones.

Be like Zac Jones. Don't be like Nils Lundkvist, Lias Andersson, or Vitali Kravtsov.

sawft.gif

Until Zach Jones askes to be traded because he sees no future with the Rangers 

4 hours ago, Pete said:

Except for the part where he requested the trade right after being assigned to Hartford, and then mailed it in Hartford.

This bleeding heart liberal shit has to stop somewhere. 

Key word. Public. When he was assigned he requested a trade but didn’t announce it publicly. He kept showing up and playing. 

bleeding heart liberal? Happy birthday Pete I’ll just leave it there lol

17 minutes ago, josh said:

and I’m like, anyone ever hear of Adam Fox? 

what a fucking soft ass pussy bitch get that mother fucker as far away from here as possible that trade requesting entitled non reporting cunt! 

I was thinking the same thing. I don't get all of the hardline stances about players always needing to put their tail between their legs and sucking up to the organization in every situation, when everyone's situation is different. 

Lundkvist's path is flat-out blocked. He requested a trade privately and still showed up. Drury essentially chose not to honor it because he apparently didn't think the offers were good enough, so he did what he thought was best for the team. Lundkvist also gets to do what he feels is best for himself. He's 22 without a real path to the NHL with this team, and that's not necessarily because he doesn't deserve a shot. He's not winning a spot over Schneider in camp and it doesn't matter how the two look in camp. Schneider's getting the spot with the leash he earned last season. Lundkvist also isn't getting moved to the left side on a Cup contending team, which means he's got to go to Hartford and hope Schneider fails so he can get a crack at the NHL. His trade value isn't going to increase that much in Hartford no matter what he does. People expecting him to hang out there until his mid 20s making $70k a year aren't really putting themselves in his shoes.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

Key word. Public. When he was assigned he requested a trade but didn’t announce it publicly. He kept showing up and playing. 

bleeding heart liberal? Happy birthday Pete I’ll just leave it there lol

Public actually isn't the key word at all. The key word is showing up, and he dogged it in Hartford last year because he was pouting and now he's refusing to report. 

Come to work, do your job, raise your value, then get traded. 

4 hours ago, rmc51 said:

I was thinking the same thing. I don't get all of the hardline stances about players always needing to put their tail between their legs and sucking up to the organization in every situation, when everyone's situation is different. 

Lundkvist's path is flat-out blocked. He requested a trade privately and still showed up. Drury essentially chose not to honor it because he apparently didn't think the offers were good enough, so he did what he thought was best for the team. Lundkvist also gets to do what he feels is best for himself. He's 22 without a real path to the NHL with this team, and that's not necessarily because he doesn't deserve a shot. He's not winning a spot over Schneider in camp and it doesn't matter how the two look in camp. Schneider's getting the spot with the leash he earned last season. Lundkvist also isn't getting moved to the left side on a Cup contending team, which means he's got to go to Hartford and hope Schneider fails so he can get a crack at the NHL. His trade value isn't going to increase that much in Hartford no matter what he does. People expecting him to hang out there until his mid 20s making $70k a year aren't really putting themselves in his shoes.

This is a really long post about something nobody disagrees with. 

The issue isn't that he asked to be traded, the issue is that he's refusing to report. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Public actually isn't the key word at all. The key word is showing up, and he dogged it in Hartford last year because he was pouting and now he's refusing to report. 

The issue isn't that he asked to be traded, the issue is that he's refusing to report. 

He is trying to force Drurys hand by not reporting. It ain't gunna work!

3 hours ago, Pete said:

Back to what I said about not really raising one’s trade value in the AHL especially at his age. Where’s an example of a player who got sent down to the A after a brief but underwhelming NHL stint, and increased their trade value without first proving they can do it at the NHL level?

He requested a trade 6+ months ago. I’m not surprised he requested one, but I also had no idea. He had been going about his business waiting for one. Now a deadline, a draft, and an entire offseason has gone by without the situation changing. The kid is supposed to just wait until his mid-twenties or some unknown amount of time for a change? I’m not surprised he chose the next step to put more pressure on the situation by not reporting. I don’t blame him.

He does have to prove he can play at the NHL level, but he hasn't proved he can play in North America at all yet either.  Playing in the AHL and tearing it up could increase his trade value.  Right now his game hasn't transcended to the North American game at all.  If it was me I would want to prove I can play here or anywhere before refusing to play.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Back to what I said about not really raising one’s trade value in the AHL especially at his age. Where’s an example of a player who got sent down to the A after a brief but underwhelming NHL stint, and increased their trade value without first proving they can do it at the NHL level?

He requested a trade 6+ months ago. I’m not surprised he requested one, but I also had no idea. He had been going about his business waiting for one. Now a deadline, a draft, and an entire offseason has gone by without the situation changing. The kid is supposed to just wait until his mid-twenties or some unknown amount of time for a change? I’m not surprised he chose the next step to put more pressure on the situation by not reporting. I don’t blame him.

He needed to prove he could play in North America, the place to do that is the AHL. He didn't do it, he was awful there. 

I completely understand the fact that he's blocked, I also completely understand the fact that he's not very good so getting traded to another team isn't really going to change the fact that he's not really getting the North American game. 

Requesting a trade puts the onus on the team, it's basically a way of saying I'm good enough to play here and you're not playing me. Fact is he's not good enough. 

Edited by Pete

39 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

I think the point that you are missing is that he is not entitled to a job in the NHL. In all fairness, he was given an opportunity to play 25 games last year and looked underwhelming as a 3rd pair defenseman. Completely empathize with the idea of doing what is best for himself long term; he is just simply going about it the wrong way and painting himself into a corner by not reporting.

13 minutes ago, Pete said:

He needed to prove he could play in North America, the place to do that is the AHL. He didn't do it, he was awful there. 

I completely understand the fact that he's blocked, I also completely understand the fact that he's not very good so getting traded to another team isn't really going to change the fact that he's not really getting the North American game. 

Requesting a trade puts the onus on the team, it's basically a way of saying I'm good enough to play here and you're not playing me. Fact is he's not good enough. 

I’d make an important distinction here. Good enough to play in the NHL, not necessarily here. Fact is he’s not good enough to supplant Fox or Trouba, and he does not play the right style of game for this team to supplant Schneider. He’d likely make the roster for plenty of other teams.

47 minutes ago, MuddyInTheMiddle said:

I think the point that you are missing is that he is not entitled to a job in the NHL. In all fairness, he was given an opportunity to play 25 games last year and looked underwhelming as a 3rd pair defenseman. Completely empathize with the idea of doing what is best for himself long term; he is just simply going about it the wrong way and painting himself into a corner by not reporting.

I’m not missing it. You’re just narrowing it down to him not being entitled to a job in the NHL, which is one I agree with but it isn’t the argument. What it’s really about is having a realistic chance at earning the job. Nobody here can say with a straight face that he has one.

Edited by rmc51
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

I’d make an important distinction here. Good enough to play in the NHL, not necessarily here. Fact is he’s not good enough to supplant Fox or Trouba, and he does not play the right style of game for this team to supplant Schneider. He’d likely make the roster for plenty of other teams.

Based on what we saw last year, that doesn't seem to be the case. That's the reason Schneider got a shot. 

I mean sure... He'd probably make the team on ASU... errrrr ... The Yotes. Or Montreal. But not "plenty". The spot was his to lose and he lost it thoroughly. 

46 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

The hilarious part is he was here last year and watched Krav sit in Russia while early season injuries opened a roster spot.  Not playing does nothing for him.  Ryan Graves played himself into an AHL all star and got himself a trade.  That's the model Lundkvist should follow.

That's exactly what I'm saying. I don't care if you don't want to play here, request trades up the yin yang. Do you.

You know what you don't do? Stay home and pout and continue to prove that you can't play on North American ice. That's exactly what VK did. That dude is still starting from scratch as far as I'm concerned because he has not proven anything on an NHL rink. 

4 hours ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

He does have to prove he can play at the NHL level, but he hasn't proved he can play in North America at all yet either.  Playing in the AHL and tearing it up could increase his trade value.  Right now his game hasn't transcended to the North American game at all.  If it was me I would want to prove I can play here or anywhere before refusing to play.

I said this a few weeks ago and still believe that this is where Lemieux and Lundquist are fucking up. If he goes back to Sweden and has a great season, he is just amplifying the perception of his weaknesses, which is that he is too small and that his game requires more space than NA rinks allow. If he doesn't have a great season, well, he can't play anywhere. Lose, lose.

10 hours ago, Long live the King said:

The hilarious part is he was here last year and watched Krav sit in Russia while early season injuries opened a roster spot.  Not playing does nothing for him.  Ryan Graves played himself into an AHL all star and got himself a trade.  That's the model Lundkvist should follow.

It's not comparable to Kravtsov. For one there were more attainable RW spots that did not require injury for Kravtsov to get a crack. It was well within reason there may be a hiccup or two that would open a spot for him, providing he was playing well in Hartford. The situation in front of him wasn't that set in stone like it is for Lundkvist. Kravtsov fucked up, and I'm thinking he knows that now or he wouldn't have even tried to come back.

Ryan Graves was a 4th round pick with no expectations. He made the 2015-16 AHL All Star and a lot of good that did because he never got called up by the Rangers and had to play 2 more seasons in Hartford before getting traded to Colorado. If you think Lundkvist, a 1st round blue chip prospect as recent as 10 months ago, should aspire to be in that boat toiling away in Hartford, then you aren't putting yourself in his shoes. This is another bad example.

Edited by rmc51
  • Like 1

Nils also wasn’t terrible while with the rangers 

not great. Rookie Dman getting third lair minutes playing with Patrick Nemeth. He’s also a more offensive Dman. That’s his style. Not one tons of teams necessarily want for the third pair. He has no path to PP time here, which will be how he gets his big contract one day. 

I might not ever agree with @rmc51in the political thread but he’s absolutely correct here. 

2 hours ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

Nils also wasn’t terrible while with the rangers 

not great. Rookie Dman getting third lair minutes playing with Patrick Nemeth. He’s also a more offensive Dman. That’s his style. Not one tons of teams necessarily want for the third pair. He has no path to PP time here, which will be how he gets his big contract one day. 

I might not ever agree with @rmc51in the political thread but he’s absolutely correct here. 

What that chart actually says is that neither player were very good. But it is correct that Schneider was the style of player they wanted. 

The issue is all you guys are arguing something that no one else is arguing. We all know his path is blocked, we all know he doesn't have a place on the team right now.

It's his behavior that's the issue. He signed a contract, he has an obligation to the team to play. On the other hand, the team is not contractually obligated to give him a place in NHL. 

And besides that is the common sense of it all... If you asked for a trade in January and you didn't get traded, do you think you're going to get traded faster by sitting home in your ass in September? 

11 hours ago, rmc51 said:

It's not comparable to Kravtsov. For one there were more attainable RW spots that did not require injury for Kravtsov to get a crack. It was well within reason there may be a hiccup or two that would open a spot for him, providing he was playing well in Hartford. The situation in front of him wasn't that set in stone like it is for Lundkvist. Kravtsov fucked up, and I'm thinking he knows that now or he wouldn't have even tried to come back.

Ryan Graves was a 4th round pick with no expectations. He made the 2015-16 AHL All Star and a lot of good that did because he never got called up by the Rangers and had to play 2 more seasons in Hartford before getting traded to Colorado. If you think Lundkvist, a 1st round blue chip prospect as recent as 10 months ago, should aspire to be in that boat toiling away in Hartford, then you aren't putting yourself in his shoes. This is another bad example.

Go back to the post in this thread where it shows players who were drafted in his position usually net out. 

Hard to call somebody drafted where he was drafted a blue chipper. 

• Like 1