• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Nils Lundkvist Won't Report to Camp; Traded to DAL for 2023 1st and 4th

RichieNextel305

11 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

He was a bluechip prospect based on overseas play and production for age.

And then he came here and was not good at all. 

And then he went to the AHL and was not good at all. 

Also, can you show me the the past five or six winners of this award and tell me where they are now? 

I'll give you a hint, the only name you'll recognize is Mattias Ekholm who won 10 years ago. 

Edited by Pete

The award hasn’t been around very long, and most of the names do have NHL experience. 

he’s the same size as Makar, his advanced stats weren’t worst that Schneider, and he had to play with Nemeth. 

still wish he went to camp and take that 3LD spot, but, as you said,  it’s not like an office job - and in this sport, this is part of the process. A 10-year career is solid, and those days are ticking away. 

32 minutes ago, josh said:

The award hasn’t been around very long, and most of the names do have NHL experience. 

And I bet you had to look up every name outside Ekholm to find that out. 

And while we're here... Define NHL experience... Cuz it isn't more than a handful of games for any of them. 

But agree with everything else. No one is gonna look great with Nemeth and he should be in camp. 

Edited by Pete

15 minutes ago, josh said:

Heed pilot Gustafson Johansson ragnarsson runblad

plus Lundkvist and Ekholm.

I don’t think Nygren did but his name floated around a lot. 

i didn’t look up the other 2

Heed 100 games. 

Gustafsson 58 games.

Johansson 45 games. 

Runblad 113 games. 

My point is winning that award does not make you a blue chip prospect and does not guarantee you will ever do anything in the NHL. 

So using that as a proof point is toilet paper thin. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pete said:

And then he came here and was not good at all. 

And then he went to the AHL and was not good at all. 

Also, can you show me the the past five or six winners of this award and tell me where they are now? 

I'll give you a hint, the only name you'll recognize is Mattias Ekholm who won 10 years ago. 

The award wasn’t the main Tweet I shared. I could careless about a no name award. The point I was making was the guy put up stats and significantly elevated his stock as a prospect, and he was already carrying late-1st round pick draft status prior. I said he was a bluechip as recent as 10 months ago to account for a decline in his value from this past season. I didn’t think he was terrible with the Rangers. I thought he was just ok. Schneider has weaknesses, but we saw what the Rangers saw in him and why they wanted to give him a shot over Lundkvist mid-season. Good for Schneider (and us), but it doesn’t mean Lundkvist played his way out of a spot or any of that. It does mean that there’s no spot for him here though. It’s simple math. If 3 spots are available and 3 have been claimed, how many spots are left? Nada.

12 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

The award wasn’t the main Tweet I shared. I could careless about a no name award. The point I was making was the guy put up stats and significantly elevated his stock as a prospect, and he was already carrying late-1st round pick draft status prior. I said he was a bluechip as recent as 10 months ago to account for a decline in his value from this past season. I didn’t think he was terrible with the Rangers. I thought he was just ok. Schneider has weaknesses, but we saw what the Rangers saw in him and why they wanted to give him a shot over Lundkvist mid-season. Good for Schneider (and us), but it doesn’t mean Lundkvist played his way out of a spot or any of that. It does mean that there’s no spot for him here though. It’s simple math. If 3 spots are available and 3 have been claimed, how many spots are left? Nada.

Again, nobody is disputing that or arguing that. 

Come to camp, don't sit home like a whiny little bitch. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pete said:

Again, nobody is disputing that or arguing that. 

Come to camp, don't sit home like a whiny little bitch. 

You did dispute it. You said he was not good at all with the Rangers or Hartford. I don't agree. I think Schneider just brought something better, filled the kind of big, heavy body role we needed, and now the spot is his.

You think coming to camp changes his situation with the team or on the trade front. I don't think it does. I think it forces Drury to either watch Lundkvist's value go to zero or trade him while he has some value left.

One common thing around here is that a lot if people think Hartford is a death sentence or an insult to suggest a player may need to go there to work on their game. 

The only way I get that point of view is that Hartford hasn't produced much for the team as far as forwards go. But the Dmen have been doing well there and slide right in when they are called up. 

People also think you can stockpile prospects through 22 or 23 years of age. Figuring they are willing to wait around for an injury or for a roster players contract to run out. 

I myself think the Rangers have been pretty bad at asset management or assessing who or when to move prospects and young players.  The writing has been on the wall for Lundkvist for 2 years. I don't know why they held on to him for so long and dealt away 1st rounders and the only center prospect they had. Obviously to make trades, another team has to want what they want. I don't understand why they haven't sold high on this kid before everyone got to see him play in NA or even at this past deadline. How did they not see this coming? 

Is interest THAT low? I know I thought he was pretty blah, but people here shat on me for such an opinion. I thought I was being too hard on him. Was told he finished well with Hartford.... but now everyone is saying he sucked??? 

The kid has to change his stance on this. You can't sit out unless you really just don't want an NHL career. You'd think some Rangers would have his ear on this. Fellow Swedes? Zibanejad, Henrik, Nemmmm..... (oh yeah, thank god)? 

• Believe 1

3 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

You did dispute it. You said he was not good at all with the Rangers or Hartford. I don't agree. I think Schneider just brought something better, filled the kind of big, heavy body role we needed, and now the spot is his.

You think coming to camp changes his situation with the team or on the trade front. I don't think it does. I think it forces Drury to either watch Lundkvist's value go to zero or trade him while he has some value left.

I do think showing up to camp absolutely does help. We just saw it with Kravtsov last season. He pouted and went home where days later injuries would have given him that exact chance he was asking for. Being in camp and going through the whole preseason still gives the chance for scouting eyes to see him, keep him in the mix if there are injuries, shows a willingness to work , and keeps him game ready for a new team or Rangers if it’s injury.

I know what has never increased trade value. Pouting. 

• Like 1

Just now, Keirik said:

I do think showing up to camp absolutely does help. We just saw it with Kravtsov last season. He pouted and went home where days later injuries would have given him that exact chance he was asking for. Being in camp and going through the whole preseason still gives the chance for scouting eyes to see him, keep him in the mix if there are injuries, shows a willingness to work , and keeps him game ready for a new team or Rangers if it’s injury.

Pouting was such a bad move that Kravtsov fired his agent after the fact. It's terrible advice to give.

Lundkvist's value is only going to go down by sitting out. Even if he ends up getting permission to play in Sweden, his output there won't mean much to other teams. He still has to prove himself in North America. Coming to camp and even trying to battle for a spot would've been something. He's blocked off, but what's to stop any of Fox, Trouba or Schneider getting injured during training camp or Schneider faltering?

Sticking around even to dominate the AHL is more useful than going back to Sweden where it's known he's good. He wants to advertise himself as a PPQB but top PPQB D prospects dominate the AHL. Scott Perunovich had 22 points in 17 games last year in the AHL. Lundkvist had 15 in 34. I don't think he's a QB, he's a trigger but even then he only scored 3 goals. There's an opportunity to improve upon that play instead of sulking. That gets him somewhere else way sooner than the BS he's pulling.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Keeps it 100 1
  • Believe 1

25 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

I don't dispute he doesn't have a spot. 

He wasn't good and frankly Schneider wasn't much better. The numbers support that. Schneider just gave them more of what they need and Nils is useless without PP time. 

He has no value right now. He's a player with no NA success who is now viewed as a whiner. You can request a trade and still play. Sitting out hurts everyone and that's a players choice. 

2 hours ago, Keirik said:

Kravtsov was at camp, though. He refused to go to Hartford. 

3 hours ago, Pete said:

Heed 100 games. 

Gustafsson 58 games.

Johansson 45 games. 

Runblad 113 games. 

My point is winning that award does not make you a blue chip prospect and does not guarantee you will ever do anything in the NHL. 

So using that as a proof point is toilet paper thin. 

No, it doesn’t. Just like playing your first 25 games in the NHL paired with Nemeth doesn’t render you incapable of playing NHL hockey. 

i still wanted Lundkvist- Schneider this season until Robertson was ready, but oh well. 

12 minutes ago, josh said:

Kravtsov was at camp, though. He refused to go to Hartford. 

Lol really?  Minutiae. We all know that but that’s not the point. The point is he pouted and went home when he realized there wasn’t a roster spot for him at the NHL level. Same as what Nils is doing now. 

3 minutes ago, josh said:

No, it doesn’t. Just like playing your first 25 games in the NHL paired with Nemeth doesn’t render you incapable of playing NHL hockey

That's a false equivalence and strawman but sure.

We agree on the core issue. 

2 hours ago, Pete said:

I don't dispute he doesn't have a spot. 

He wasn't good and frankly Schneider wasn't much better. The numbers support that. Schneider just gave them more of what they need and Nils is useless without PP time. 

He has no value right now. He's a player with no NA success who is now viewed as a whiner. You can request a trade and still play. Sitting out hurts everyone and that's a players choice. 

Agreed here. I mean, look at DeBrusk. He requested a trade a while back, but continued to play for the Bruins. 25 goals last season, rewarded with a $4mil per year contract that takes him to UFA after two more seasons and still on the block to get moved. Whether he stays or goes, he's finding NHL success by showing up and playing.

Edited by Cash or Czech

2 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Lol really?  Minutiae. We all know that but that’s not the point. The point is he pouted and went home when he realized there wasn’t a roster spot for him at the NHL level. Same as what Nils is doing now. 

He couldn’t have been called up after those injuries - they were at the roster maximum. And when they cleared a spot, they needed a center. 

21 minutes ago, josh said:

He couldn’t have been called up after those injuries - they were at the roster maximum. And when they cleared a spot, they needed a center. 

This is absolutely inaccurate.

Blais was a wing who went on LTIR almost immediately. 

Edited by Pete

15 minutes ago, Pete said:

This is absolutely inaccurate.

Blais was a wing who went on LTIR almost immediately. 

Blais was hurt immediately but missed a few and came back. It was November he was injured, and wasn’t put in LTIR for awhile. 

They needed a C after Strome got Covid early so they brought up McKegg. 
Kakko went on IR - but Gauthier, who beat of Kravtsov in camp, still hadn’t played, so was the obvious guy inserted. It was when Reaves went down a month or two later when Kravtsov might have had a chance for a call up 

5 minutes ago, josh said:

Blais was hurt immediately but missed a few and came back. It was November he was injured, and wasn’t put in LTIR for awhile. 

They needed a C after Strome got Covid early so they brought up McKegg. 
Kakko went on IR - but Gauthier, who beat of Kravtsov in camp, still hadn’t played, so was the obvious guy inserted. It was when Reaves went down a month or two later when Kravtsov might have had a chance for a call up 

Strome barley missed a week with COVID. Multiple wingers were hurt all year.

Bottom line is VK would have had multiple chances if you just stayed in Hartford. 

9 minutes ago, Keirik said:

I don’t think that’s accurate. 

They were at 23 max. Got a spot when Strome went on Covid (Tinordi, Hajek, Gauthier as extras)

looks back through my “Drury doesn’t understand waivers” posts. 

Edited by josh