• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Trade Nils Lundkvist to DAL for 2023 1st (Top-10 Protected), Conditional 4th

Scott

6 minutes ago, CCCP said:

This is a very good return but me wonders what kind of a return Drury was seeking before this became public and his hand was forced?  Was he looking for a prospect and a pick but settled for 1st rounder?

I forget where it was written but supposedly only a second rounder was offered last year pre deadline.

I suspect Lundkvist will turn out to be worth well more than that return, but this is better than I thought he'd fetch given the situation.

With Zac Jones eyeing the 3LD spot, I don't think there's any way Gallant would have been even remotely interested in another undersized defensemen on the 3rd pair, even in the event of an injury. The no-report to training camp worked out for Lundkvist, and surprisingly worked out for the Rangers.

6 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Good return given the public demand for a trade from Lundkvists camp.

Also, as others have said, have to imagine this is another major weapon Drury has at his disposal come March for a potential trade deadline add….

…..aka: patrick kane smile GIF

100%.

The only way that math starts to change is if Dallas starts looking less like a "right side of the bubble" team and more like a "holy shit we're in trouble" team. Which...isn't that crazy to think can happen, but if there's reason to think Dallas would be picking top 10 in 2024 as well, the Rangers start thinking about that asset very differently.

• Keeps it 100 1

19 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

100%.

The only way that math starts to change is if Dallas starts looking less like a "right side of the bubble" team and more like a "holy shit we're in trouble" team. Which...isn't that crazy to think can happen, but if there's reason to think Dallas would be picking top 10 in 2024 as well, the Rangers start thinking about that asset very differently.

So does Chicago…

• Bullseye 1

1 hour ago, CCCP said:

This is a very good return but me wonders what kind of a return Drury was seeking before this became public and his hand was forced?  Was he looking for a prospect and a pick but settled for 1st rounder?

Likely exactly this. He was only offered a "high second-round pick" prior to this. He was likely waiting for a first to materialize, and it did.

1 minute ago, rmc51 said:

So does Chicago…

Perhaps. Chicago will be a very interesting team to watch, and I'm almost certain that we'll be trading this pick - a mid-round 1st - to them for Kane. Or to Winnipeg for PLD before he turns tail and signs a 16 million dollar one year deal with Montreal.

That said...you look at situations like San Jose with the Karlsson deal or Ottawa with the Duchene deal - where both of those teams dealt their firsts in future drafts on the assumption that they'd be low, and it turned out they were not. Is Dallas really that much better on paper than the 2018-19 Sharks or 2017-18 Senators? Like...what's their path to taking a step forward this year? Are they even a playoff team? 

10 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

Perhaps. Chicago will be a very interesting team to watch, and I'm almost certain that we'll be trading this pick - a mid-round 1st - to them for Kane. Or to Winnipeg for PLD before he turns tail and signs a 16 million dollar one year deal with Montreal.

That said...you look at situations like San Jose with the Karlsson deal or Ottawa with the Duchene deal - where both of those teams dealt their firsts in future drafts on the assumption that they'd be low, and it turned out they were not. Is Dallas really that much better on paper than the 2018-19 Sharks or 2017-18 Senators? Like...what's their path to taking a step forward this year? Are they even a playoff team? 

There's a very good chance that their pick in 24 will be even lower than their pick in 23. 

13 minutes ago, Pete said:

There's a very good chance that their pick in 24 will be even lower than their pick in 23. 

Sure. The logic works both ways and all of that deeply affects the value of the pick relative to a market later this year.

edit - wait, do you mean lower as in closer to 1 or lower as in closer to 32? 

18 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

Yeah for sure. I mean Dallas sucking is the best case scenario, and a plausible one. They were only a 7th seed and made the playoffs by 4 points. They have a few really good younger players, but a lot of question marks for that team.

6 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Yeah for sure. I mean Dallas sucking is the best case scenario, and a plausible one. They were only a 7th seed and made the playoffs by 4 points. They have a few really good younger players, but a lot of question marks for that team.

Right, and with Vegas healthy - goalie be damned - they're probably the 8th seed. The Kings, Flames, Wild, and Predators are all probably better teams. Now they're 9th. Are the Canucks or Ducks or Kraken ready to jump? Are the Jets going to get Vezina Hellebuyck? 

This is a very, very bubbly bubble team, imo, and I think for now my big takeaway is that Drury got a pretty damn good piece for Nils that will be in some way a valuable asset toward a cup run or building our future sustained success.

2 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

I forget where it was written but supposedly only a second rounder was offered last year pre deadline.

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Likely exactly this. He was only offered a "high second-round pick" prior to this. He was likely waiting for a first to materialize, and it did.

IDK. i find it hard to believe that offers were much lower before this went public.  You'd think that the price would've went down when Drury's hand was forced

Just now, CCCP said:

IDK. i find it hard to believe that offers were much lower before this went public.  You'd think that the price would've went down when Drury's hand was forced

I mean, you can believe whatever you like. Brooks just all but confirmed this:

As The Post reported, Lemieux notified Drury that it was unlikely Lundkvist would report to camp and reiterated his desire to be traded. Sources indicate that there were a handful of teams interested, but unwilling to pay the price set by the Rangers.

That is, until Dallas offered the first-rounder, plus. The process, we are told, was amicable between Lemieux and Drury, teammates in Colorado in the late ’90s. 

https://nypost.com/2022/09/19/rangers-trading-nils-lundkvist-to-stars-for-first-round-pick/

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

I mean, you can believe whatever you like. Brooks just all but confirmed this:

https://nypost.com/2022/09/19/rangers-trading-nils-lundkvist-to-stars-for-first-round-pick/

Plus there always is the possibility that once it went public, teams that might not have been 100% in on him start making calls and that drives up the price a bit too. “Okay you’re interested? Hold on, Dallas, I have team X on the other line…..“ and go from there….