• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

NHL Preparing Teams for Sharp Salary Cap Increase Over Next Three Seasons

Phil

27 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

It wouldn't surprise me. Although honestly, before Kane, this team had done a pretty good job at not doing that. At least for ones that were past their prime anyway. They still overpaid for some players, but the "same old Rangers" people go on about would sign all the old ones like it was going out of style. Drury just went out and got Kane because he didn't cost a ton, although you could argue it did more harm than good to the chemistry and everything in the long run.

Sure, they'll overpay for someone, but I'd still like to be able to keep some of these guys together for the long haul going forward.

They haven’t really done what they used to do before the salary cap but they still do over pay. Trouba, Panarin, Goodrow contracts all suck. In the case of Panarin and Goodrow they were UFA signings so they didn’t really set the price I guess. Trouba contract was plain stupid. 

19 hours ago, CCCP said:

Does it matter? Rangers will still sign someone and overpay tremendously, and then we’ll again be sitting here waiting for the cap to go up

The last time they grossly overpaid someone, it was Trouba. I think Drury will do a much better job with the contracts then Gorton did. When you think about it, he was a pretty shitty GM. 

• Keeps it 100 1

2 minutes ago, siddious said:

They haven’t really done what they used to do before the salary cap but they still do over pay. Trouba, Panarin, Goodrow contracts all suck. In the case of Panarin and Goodrow they were UFA signings so they didn’t really set the price I guess. Trouba contract was plain stupid. 

This is the only bad contract of the one you listed. The other two are completely fair deals in free agency.

Whether or not you think the Rangers should be paying those guys is a different story, but they are certainly paid their worth. 

27 minutes ago, Pete said:

The last time they grossly overpaid someone, it was Trouba. I think Drury will do a much better job with the contracts then Gorton did. When you think about it, he was a pretty shitty GM. 

Fox—too much too soon. 

• Bullseye 1

53 minutes ago, Pete said:

This is the only bad contract of the one you listed. The other two are completely fair deals in free agency.

Whether or not you think the Rangers should be paying those guys is a different story, but they are certainly paid their worth. 

Fair enough.

1 hour ago, CCCP said:

The GM is the sucker here. Fox only wanted to play for the Rangers. A discount should’ve came with it. Same with Trouba. 

Trouba yes, Fox no. You have Subban making 9M at the time, You could argue that they already got a discount on Fox. He was coming off of Norris. 

17 minutes ago, Pete said:

Trouba yes, Fox no. You have Subban making 9M at the time, You could argue that they already got a discount on Fox. He was coming off of Norris. 

Subban was a vet and an ex UFA. Fox was on his second contract. Norris could’ve been an anomaly. Why not see if he is truly is who he showed in that one season before giving him the bank

2 hours ago, CCCP said:

Subban was a vet and an ex UFA. Fox was on his second contract. Norris could’ve been an anomaly. Why not see if he is truly is who he showed in that one season before giving him the bank

Because there's a chance they would have had to pay him $14M. Turns out he's a Norris finalist again.

Why would you not just pay your players who are performing and treat them right? I'd rather overpay a little (early in the deal, later it'll be a steal) for a player in their prime than one approaching UFA.

5 hours ago, Pete said:

Because there's a chance they would have had to pay him $14M. Turns out he's a Norris finalist again.

Why would you not just pay your players who are performing and treat them right? I'd rather overpay a little (early in the deal, later it'll be a steal) for a player in their prime than one approaching UFA.

I guess, but it feels like $9M in his second contract is too much

but Keirik agrees with me, and he has a gun, so eff off

Edited by CCCP
  • LOL 1

All of the other major sports saw significant bumps in the cap and luxury tax threshold over the last few years. Yet we sit yet another season with a flat cap. It sucks, nothing more nothing less. And it’s not fair to parameters to work through for these teams.

Edited by RichieNextel305

4 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

All of the other major sports saw significant bumps in the cap and luxury tax threshold over the last few years. Yet we sit yet another season with a flat cap. It sucks, nothing more nothing less. And it’s not fair to parameters to work through for these teams.

teams shouldnt sign contracts they would immediately regret.  Cap increase only benefits the players.  While the cap increase gives some relief from bad or expensive contracts, the GMs will not spend the additional cap room wisely, but sign another player to a overinflated price.  Its a vicious circle