• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Kratzzzzoff

LeetchHOF

Kravtsov was assigned to Hartford. He refused the assignment and was given permission to seek a trade. He then left North America to return to the KHL. If you think this was all agreed upon, sanctioned by, or encouraged by the team, you're free to, but you're not going to convince me so easily. Refusing to report is quitting. Full stop.

That said, I'm glad he's back. He's saying all the right things, too, but his game is, to this point, well short of where it needs to be given the position he's seemingly being gifted, or that the team hoped to gift him. It was so bad, in fact, he played four straight scoreless preseason contests only to be a healthy scratch for the final two. He is now on the team's fifth line. The optics here are just brutal.

Regardless, if he's comfortable watching (from the press box) and working his way in, so be it. But the way I see it, the AHL would do him good. I'm a big believer that doing will teach you more than watching ever will.

• Applause 1

8 hours ago, Phil said:

Kravtsov was assigned to Hartford. He refused the assignment and was given permission to seek a trade. He then left North America to return to the KHL. If you think this was all agreed upon, sanctioned by, or encouraged by the team, you're free to, but you're not going to convince me so easily. Refusing to report is quitting. Full stop.

That said, I'm glad he's back. He's saying all the right things, too, but his game is, to this point, well short of where it needs to be given the position he's seemingly being gifted, or that the team hoped to gift him. It was so bad, in fact, he played four straight scoreless preseason contests only to be a healthy scratch for the final two. He is now on the team's fifth line. The optics here are just brutal.

Regardless, if he's comfortable watching (from the press box) and working his way in, so be it. But the way I see it, the AHL would do him good. I'm a big believer that doing will teach you more than watching ever will.

He has absolutely created a fair sized mountain of shit for himself that he now has to wade through. No argument there.

His preseason has been poor. 

I’m of the opinion that he should probably be in the AHL. He’d get playing time, probably do well, get his legs under him and gain some confidence. Unfortunately, that is not an option. 

Though there does seem to be some growth and maturity and contrition on his behalf. And in all reality, while what we’ve seen of him hasn’t looked good, there’s not exactly much of a sample to actually look at, so while I’m not optimistic, I’m not really pessimistic either. It’s just kind of meh at this point. Whatever he does, he does. 

While the first several chapters are pretty much dogshit, the book isn’t actually written yet. 

But as said, he’s created this. He has placed himself in a spot where he HAS to perform in his opportunities, whenever they may come and no matter the circumstances. I believe he’s done the right things to atone for his behavior previously. Now he needs to show something on the ice. 

• Bullseye 1

4 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

The biggest problem for Kravtsov is he needs AHL time, but he has to clear waivers to be sent down and the Rangers believe he would be claimed and don't want to lose him for nothing.

Yeah.

He would benefit greatly from playing 18 minutes a night in Hartford. But he can’t. So it’s moot. 

All these kids would have been done a service by going there.

A lot of people (I'm not gonna bother tagging everyone, but if you're in the "Krav should've went to the AHL and not quit on the team" camp, this is towards you) seems to forget that Kravtsov actually played half a season in the A. He gave it a chance for months (played 39 games).

Is it so hard for you to think him and his team (and maybe even the NYR org, although that's not as likely) figured that it wasn't a good place for him to be? The only russian (as far as I know) on the team, playing in Hartford. As a 20 year old that don't speak the language and are from a different culture, they might've figured it would be better for him in Russia.

Serious question - Who should have the most say on a players career - Himself or the team? Yes, you're a team player playing a team game so I know that the team must have a lot of power here, but at the end of the day the player must decide what he feels is best for himself.

The "quit on the team" argument is so weak. He didn't quit anything. The coach said he wasn't good enough for the team last season and he was given options. He chose the option he thought was best for HIS development - going back to Russia for the year. Now he's back. With the team he allegedly "quit on".

15 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

A lot of people (I'm not gonna bother tagging everyone, but if you're in the "Krav should've went to the AHL and not quit on the team" camp, this is towards you) seems to forget that Kravtsov actually played half a season in the A. He gave it a chance for months (played 39 games).

Is it so hard for you to think him and his team (and maybe even the NYR org, although that's not as likely) figured that it wasn't a good place for him to be? The only russian (as far as I know) on the team, playing in Hartford. As a 20 year old that don't speak the language and are from a different culture, they might've figured it would be better for him in Russia.

Serious question - Who should have the most say on a players career - Himself or the team? Yes, you're a team player playing a team game so I know that the team must have a lot of power here, but at the end of the day the player must decide what he feels is best for himself.

The "quit on the team" argument is so weak. He didn't quit anything. The coach said he wasn't good enough for the team last season and he was given options. He chose the option he thought was best for HIS development - going back to Russia for the year. Now he's back. With the team he allegedly "quit on".

I've kind of flip flopped on this. I read an article recently which was based upon the huge salary cut he took in the AHL as opposed to the NHL or KHL so he decided to go back to Russia for multiple reasons. Close to home, more $$, development playing against men in the KHL. 

Although the best thing for the Rangers would be to call him up from Hartford at will; at the end of the day, he didn't feel that was a guarantee or best for him from multiple standpoints. The media is also where we are getting this "quit on the team " narrative so take it with a grain of salt.

I'm pro "let's give this kid a shot". No grudges just expectations of a prospect who has made progress from when we saw him last.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

This all such a gross mischaracterization it's borderline fan fiction.

That season he played 39 games in the AHL, I guess you don't remember him playing less than 10 AHL games before packing up and going to Russia? Guess not. It was part of his European assignment clause which only had one year, but let's not pretend it was done because it was best for his development. If it was best for his development, he wouldn't have fled back in December of that same year because he wasn't getting minutes in Russia and had been sent down to Traktor's minors. But yeah he ended up back in the AHL and ended up playing 39 games. He hardly accepted that assignment with dignity, though. He just had to deal with what was his best option because his preferred spat him back out. So, no, that wasn't remotely the best option.

As for no Russians on that team, he was one of three on that Hartford team in particular. Shesterkin played without a fuss until December. Rykov was on the Hartford roster that entire season but battled with injuries and being shitty. Blaming his lack of development on his social acclimation is a cop out.

Yes. He quit the team last year. I don't know if you understand how contracts work, but they're an agreement. Playing in Russia last year wasn't part of Kravtsov's agreement, he didn't have a European assignment clause.  He wasn't "given options," that's straight up fantasy. He was assigned to Hartford. He declined. Their only recourse was to send him to Russia if he was going to play anywhere else. That's not being presented an option, that's coming up with a poor out-of-the-box solution. We can see how useful going back to the KHL truly was for Krav's development.

It's great that he's here and he's putting his head down. I hope that he has the dignity to work through being the 13th forward and earning the spot on the team. I will not pretend like his shortcomings are not his own doing, though. I'm done giving him credit for little things. He hasn't shown enough to warrant any credit. He shouldn't get gold stars for doing what everyone else does. He's supposed to be better than most everyone else. If he wants my fandom, my support, then he's got to earn that back like spot the he has to earn.

• Bullseye 2
  • VINNY! 1
  • JIMMY! 1
  • Keeps it 100 2

24 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

That season he played 39 games in the AHL, I guess you don't remember him playing less than 10 AHL games before packing up and going to Russia? Guess not. It was part of his European assignment clause which only had one year, but let's not pretend it was done because it was best for his development. If it was best for his development, he wouldn't have fled back in December of that same year because he wasn't getting minutes in Russia and had been sent down to Traktor's minors. But yeah he ended up back in the AHL and ended up playing 39 games. He hardly accepted that assignment with dignity, though. He just had to deal with what was his best option because his preferred spat him back out. So, no, that wasn't remotely the best option.

As for no Russians on that team, he was one of three on that Hartford team in particular. Shesterkin played without a fuss until December. Rykov was on the Hartford roster that entire season but battled with injuries and being shitty. Blaming his lack of development on his social acclimation is a cop out.

Yes. He quit the team last year. I don't know if you understand how contracts work, but they're an agreement. Playing in Russia last year wasn't part of Kravtsov's agreement, he didn't have a European assignment clause.  He wasn't "given options," that's straight up fantasy. He was assigned to Hartford. He declined. Their only recourse was to send him to Russia if he was going to play anywhere else. That's not being presented an option, that's coming up with a poor out-of-the-box solution. We can see how useful going back to the KHL truly was for Krav's development.

It's great that he's here and he's putting his head down. I hope that he has the dignity to work through being the 13th forward and earning the spot on the team. I will not pretend like his shortcomings are not his own doing, though. I'm done giving him credit for little things. He hasn't shown enough to warrant any credit. He shouldn't get gold stars for doing what everyone else does. He's supposed to be better than most everyone else. If he wants my fandom, my support, then he's got to earn that back like spot the he has to earn.

Damn dude...that sums up a metric fuck-ton of the way I see it right now!

I'm pulling for the guy, don't get me wrong, but this is fucking SPOT. ON. the way I see it.

If you don't want to follow an the path carved out by an NHL team to make the NHL, then don't enter the draft and don't sign an ELC. Plenty of Euros don't. Panarin is undrafted FFS. 

Everyone wants to "hear his side" but the fact is of he listened to the Rangers he'd (at best) been called up last year when injuries hit and be an NHL regular... And (at worst) he'd have been fully acclimated to life in NA and playing on NA rinks.

It was a lose/lose for all, but the decision was made by him. 

26 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

Exactly what was fiction, really? I was just trying to give another perspective here. Trying to say that he's a human being as well as a hockey player, and that none of us really have any idea how the situation has been for him regarding acclimating to the country. You can say it's a shit excuse, and I can agree on that, but it's still something to take into consideration. He also said himself that most of what's been said is false, so as a fan of him and the team he plays on I don't think it's fair to call him a spoiled brat and saying he "quit on the team" without knowing the situation at all.

3 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Exactly what was fiction, really?

Focusing on what's "fiction" is a waste of time because I didn't say anything was fiction — I said it was a "mischaracterization that bordered on fan fiction." Those mean different things, and I already highlighted those mischaracterizations, but I can make it easier.

seems to forget that Kravtsov actually played half a season in the A. He gave it a chance for months

Mischaracterization. He gave it a chance for a few games, went back to Russia, disliked how he was handled in Russia, came back to the AHL with his tail between his legs.

s it so hard for you to think him and his team (and maybe even the NYR org, although that's not as likely) figured that it wasn't a good place for him to be? The only russian (as far as I know) on the team, playing in Hartford. As a 20 year old that don't speak the language and are from a different culture, they might've figured it would be better for him in Russia.

Mischaracterization. He wasn't the only Russian. You can even Google something as easy as this. He speaks English better than any other Russian they've brought in. He didn't bail because he couldn't talk to his teammates.

The coach said he wasn't good enough for the team last season and he was given options. He chose the option he thought was best for HIS development - going back to Russia for the year.

Gross mischaracterization. As I said, there were no options presented, they had to come up with one that's never used. By declining Hartford, going back to Russia was literally his only opportunity to get game time. It wasn't "best for his development."

I was just trying to give another perspective here. Trying to say that he's a human being as well as a hockey player, and that none of us really have any idea how the situation has been for him regarding acclimating to the country. You can say it's a shit excuse, and I can agree on that, but it's still something to take into consideration. He also said himself that most of what's been said is false, so as a fan of him and the team he plays on I don't think it's fair to call him a spoiled brat and saying he "quit on the team" without knowing the situation at all.

Um. Okay? All hockey players are human beings. Nothing about Kravstov's situation denotes a unique situation where he's been deprived and truly wronged. I have nothing to take into consideration. I've taken it all into consideration. You're digging for excuses if you're going but "BUT HE'S A HUMAN BEING!!!!!" Cool. So don't treat him like shit, but he should deserve no special treatment despite his past desire for special treatment. 

Brooks said last year that the reported reason Kravtsov went back to Russia instead of Hartford was because he didn’t see a top 6 path with the Rangers:

Our latest information, provided by an individual with knowledge of the situation, is that Kravtsov’s reason for refusing the assignment had nothing to do with his relationship with Rangers president-general manager Chris Drury. Rather, it was entirely based on his belief he would never get a crack at a permanent spot on the Rangers’ top six because wingers Artemi Panarin, Chris Kreider, Alexis Lafreniere and Kaapo Kakko were ahead of him on the depth chart.

In his trade request, he even said he was willing to go to another franchise‘s AHL team. That negates the argument that he didn’t want to develop as a player or prove himself at a lower level. So he was willing to prove himself at that level with another franchise that could present opportunity at the NHL level. One that wouldn’t necessarily require injury for a shot at a call up. Who hopes for an injury to get a shot at the pros? That’s a bad plan based on hope, and a shitty kind of thing to have to hope for. So I don’t get why anyone would blame him for going back home to Russia in the interim.

Lundkvist just did the same thing. Refused to report, went home, and then got traded. His professional outlook and opportunity looks a million times better in Dallas than New York. The only difference is Drury found a trade package that was worth it, and obviously that did not happen for Kravtsov. Fox demanded his way off of two franchises to get where he wanted! Call it quitting on the team you want. I call it doing what you think is best for you because the team will always do what’s best for the team. That doesn’t always include what’s best for a player.

• Bullseye 1
  • Applause 1

2 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Brooks said last year that the reported reason Kravtsov went back to Russia instead of Hartford was because he didn’t see a top 6 path with the Rangers:

In his trade request, he even said he was willing to go to another franchise‘s AHL team. That negates the argument that he didn’t want to develop as a player or prove himself at a lower level. So he was willing to prove himself at that level with another franchise that could present opportunity at the NHL level. One that wouldn’t necessarily require injury for a shot at a call up. Who hopes for an injury to get a shot at the pros? That’s a bad plan based on hope, and a shitty kind of thing to have to hope for. So I don’t get why anyone would blame him for going back home to Russia in the interim.

Lundkvist just did the same thing. Refused to report, went home, and then got traded. His professional outlook and opportunity looks a million times better in Dallas than New York. The only difference is Drury found a trade package that was worth it, and obviously that did not happen for Kravtsov. Fox demanded his way off of two franchises to get where he wanted! Call it quitting on the team you want. I call it doing what you think is best for you because the team will always do what’s best for the team. That doesn’t always include what’s best for a player.

Imagine thinking you're worthy of a top 6 spot before you're even worthy of a roster spot you haven't earned.

If this all has been anything for Kravstov, I hope it's been a lesson in humility.

I’m just viewing him as a rookie at this point. 
In terms of experience in NA, that’s what he is. 

He’s 22 years old with 60 games of experience in NA professional hockey.

20 games at the NHL level.

Im rooting for him. I’ll admit I’ve always been excited by the prospect of him, Kakko, Chytil, and LaFreniere being in the lineup together.

But I’m not honestly expecting much. And he’s really painted himself into a corner.

This kid probably has till January-ish to produce, or that’s it

And that’s probably a conservative estimate. 

14 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

Imagine thinking you're worthy of a top 6 spot before you're even worthy of a roster spot you haven't earned.

If this all has been anything for Kravstov, I hope it's been a lesson in humility.

The report didn’t say he said that. It said he didn’t see a path to making top 6. That’s not the same as thinking he was worthy of top 6 at that point in time.

We have to remember too that the first year he came over here when he was 19 years old, he was told they didn’t want to play him in the bottom 6 so he didn’t make the team. He was clearly a better 3rd line option for at least a cup of coffee on a rebuilding team than converted forward Brendan Smith. So if they tell him they don’t want him in the bottom 6, then how does anyone deduce anything other than the only path to the NHL with the Rangers is via the top 6? Can’t blame him for seeing little to no opening.

Edited by rmc51

8 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

Mischaracterization. He gave it a chance for a few games, went back to Russia, disliked how he was handled in Russia, came back to the AHL with his tail between his legs.

lol. He played there for 39 games and gave it a chance. That was no mischaracterization. It was exactly what happened.

9 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

Mischaracterization. He wasn't the only Russian. You can even Google something as easy as this. He speaks English better than any other Russian they've brought in. He didn't bail because he couldn't talk to his teammates.

That's why I said "as far as I know". And how have you any idea why he didn't like it in Hartford? He finished the 19/20 season in the AHL (ended cause of Covid). He didn't bail on Hartford that season, but didn't want to go back again the season after.

10 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

Gross mischaracterization. As I said, there were no options presented, they had to come up with one that's never used. By declining Hartford, going back to Russia was literally his only opportunity to get game time. It wasn't "best for his development."

Again - it was exactly what happened. Maybe it wasn't originally an option, or even the preferred option from the org, but that's what ended up happening so it was obviously an option.

11 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

Um. Okay? All hockey players are human beings. Nothing about Kravstov's situation denotes a unique situation where he's been deprived and truly wronged. I have nothing to take into consideration. I've taken it all into consideration. You're digging for excuses if you're going but "BUT HE'S A HUMAN BEING!!!!!" Cool. So don't treat him like shit, but he should deserve no special treatment despite his past desire for special treatment. 

I think you took my initial post totally wrong. I wasn't trying to justify his behavior or say that he deserves praise or a gold star or even a starting spot on the roster. I'm trying to tell people to chill with the "spoiled shit kid" comments when he himself just recently said that most of what's been said is wrong AND Gallant recently said the kid has done everything he's been asked to do.

Just now, rmc51 said:

The report didn’t say he that. It said he didn’t see a path to making top 6. That’s not the same as thinking he was worthy of top 6 at that point in time.

He should only be truly concerned with the short-term in his situation. Prospects without leverage don't force trades because they might not have a top 6 spot in a few years. You're acting as though players are unfamiliar with the nature of their own game — spots are earned through injury, regression, trade all of the time. These are situations players are used to and some are conditioned enough to know that's how they'll break in. It sucks, but it's reality. Welcome to the mercenary game, it's far worse in sports like basketball and football with higher rates of attrition. 

We have to remember to, the first year he came over here, when he was 19 years old, he was told they didn’t want to play him in the bottom 6 so he didn’t make the team. He was clearly a better 3rd line option for at least a cup of coffee on a rebuilding team than converted forward Brendan Smith. So if they tell him they don’t want him in the bottom 6, then how does anyone deduce anything other than the only path to the NHL with the Rangers is via the top 6? Can’t blame him for seeing little to no opening.

That same team was trying to unsuccessfully develop Andersson, Chytil, and Howden in that bottom six. They weren't throwing another Euro rookie in there to flounder with them. That he didn't end up there was a blessing. Everything else that followed for his path was a disaster.

1 minute ago, Drew a Penalty said:

He should only be truly concerned with the short-term in his situation. Prospects without leverage don't force trades because they might not have a top 6 spot in a few years. You're acting as though players are unfamiliar with the nature of their own game — spots are earned through injury, regression, trade all of the time. These are situations players are used to and some are conditioned enough to know that's how they'll break in. It sucks, but it's reality. Welcome to the mercenary game, it's far worse in sports like basketball and football with higher rates of attrition. 

That same team was trying to unsuccessfully develop Andersson, Chytil, and Howden in that bottom six. They weren't throwing another Euro rookie in there to flounder with them. That he didn't end up there was a blessing. Everything else that followed for his path was a disaster.

And these are valid points, but it isn’t the only valid approach. You might think it’s a better approach, but there isn’t a one size fits all for everyone. In some instances I would agree it might make a player a quitter or a cry baby or whatever other label has been thrown out there, but not this one as there was a perfectly reasonable path B. Nobody cares anymore that Lundkvist did it. Certainly nobody on this board cares that Fox did it…twice.

4 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

lol. He played there for 39 games and gave it a chance. That was no mischaracterization. It was exactly what happened.

How is that exactly what happened when you didn't even know and are still unwilling to accept what the actual circumstances were? He didn't give it 39 games because he gave it a chance. He gave it less than 10, then hated his chosen experience to go back to Russia, and then played out the final ~30 games in the AHL from December onward. But yeah that's exactly what happened lmfao.

That's why I said "as far as I know". And how have you any idea why he didn't like it in Hartford? He finished the 19/20 season in the AHL (ended cause of Covid). He didn't bail on Hartford that season, but didn't want to go back again the season after.

He left on October 25, 2019. "Didn't bail on Hartford." Yeah, okay. He didn't go back to Hartford the following season because there wasn't a Hartford season until January and they only played two teams repeatedly. They opted instead to allow him to continue in the KHL because the season started sooner. Maybe don't make up facts to things you don't actually know the answers to.

Again - it was exactly what happened. Maybe it wasn't originally an option, or even the preferred option from the org, but that's what ended up happening so it was obviously an option.

You're floundering here. It wasn't an option. He declined an assignment. They wanted him to go to AHL, not the KHL. Why would the KHL be a good option for the Rangers who can't recall him from there? They didn't want another year of his development, they wanted a few weeks or months with the ability to recall him. Allow him to go the KHL was the best option short of trading him or having him sit out doing nothing. Stop presenting it like it was a preconceived notion. It was a backup they had to pull out their ass.

• VINNY! 1

8 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

And these are valid points, but it isn’t the only valid approach. You might think it’s a better approach, but there isn’t a one size fits all for everyone. In some instances I would agree it might make a player a quitter or a cry baby or whatever other label has been thrown out there, but not this one as there was a perfectly reasonable path B. Nobody cares anymore that Lundkvist did it. Certainly nobody on this board cares that Fox did it…twice.

People keep using the Fox option. Fox wasn't under contract. He had zero obligation to sign with the team besides the fact they owned his rights. It's still shitty, but there's not a contract to uphold. Fox could dictate his fate because he had leverage, he could literally walk away and sign with anyone if he had played another college season.

Kravtsov and Lundkvist had contracts. Kravtsov has twice gotten to use an exception extending beyond his contract. Nothing about how he's gone about his situation is normal. Sure, I guess he has a "right" to it, but that doesn't make it right. I also disagreed with Lundkvist choosing to ask for a trade. Neither earned their keep. They have the potential for the roles they're demanding, but you don't give roles solely based on potential.

3 hours ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

The biggest problem for Kravtsov is he needs AHL time, but he has to clear waivers to be sent down and the Rangers believe he would be claimed and don't want to lose him for nothing.

Nah, he has nothing to learn in the AHL game. Like Kakko and Lafreniere, they need the NHL experience to be nhl players. 

fans just need to be a little pate int and realize it takes kids a bit to adjust. 

2 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

People keep using the Fox option. Fox wasn't under contract. He had zero obligation to sign with the team besides the fact they owned his rights. It's still shitty, but there's not a contract to uphold. Fox could dictate his fate because he had leverage, he could literally walk away and sign with anyone if he had played another college season.

Kravtsov and Lundkvist had contracts. Kravtsov has twice gotten to use an exception extending beyond his contract. Nothing about how he's gone about his situation is normal. Sure, I guess he has a "right" to it, but that doesn't make it right. I also disagreed with Lundkvist choosing to ask for a trade. Neither earned their keep. They have the potential for the roles they're demanding, but you don't give roles solely based on potential.

I use Fox as an example because the logic behind spurring the franchise that owns your rights is a mindset that is cut from the same cloth - doing what's best for you knowing you might come out looking like an asshole. Kravtsov signed the contract before the Rangers won the lottery twice to draft two wingers who were immediately placed in the top 6/9. I get the hardline stance that a contract is a contract and all that, but this scenario was not something expected by a long shot - neither by the Rangers nor by Kravtsov. But of course the Rangers have no problems putting Kravtsov in Hartford making $70k a year in exchange for winning Kakko/Lafreniere in the lottery drafts.

I still take issue with the terminology again. I don't think either player demanded the role or wanted it to just be given to them. They wanted what they perceived as a valid pathway to getting or earning the role.