• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Vitali Kravtsov Day-to-Day; Won't Make Trip to Minnesota + Winnipeg

Phil

40 minutes ago, deejaid said:

I'm not calling him weak because of that play he was injured on, but just his play in general.  He doesn't look strong on his skates.   Brad Marchand is 5'9" and strong on the puck, so was Theo Fleury who was even smaller.   Kravtsov is 6'3" but doesn't play like it.    An 82 game NHL season is a grind and I applaud Kravtsov for coming over in July to start training but he was injured after just three shifts on opening night.  And that play looks like a hockey play to me, don't see what is so dirty about it.

You're not calling calling him weak because of the play...... Then proceed to call him weak because of the play. He's actually pretty strong on the puck. You should watch him play one day. Maybe check some highlight videos on YouTube. In the little I've seen from him, he's a good puck carrier and not afraid to go into traffic and doesn't shy away from contact very often. 

At what age is the "push down on a players head and neck while they are on their knees, with all your weight" taught? You know...  the hockey play.   Is that before or after slew foot/can opener 101 or punch to the back of the head class? 

• LOL 1

Rooting for him in the sense the difference between this team being good and being great is going to be whether the younger players on low price contracts-Chytil, Kravstov, Lafrenierre and Kakko-make a serious jump and contribute more than they have last year. To that end, hope this is a temporary setback. But under Drury and Gallant, "day-to-day" has been between a  black hole  and eternity. 

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

You're not calling calling him weak because of the play...... Then proceed to call him weak because of the play. He's actually pretty strong on the puck. You should watch him play one day. Maybe check some highlight videos on YouTube. In the little I've seen from him, he's a good puck carrier and not afraid to go into traffic and doesn't shy away from contact very often. 

At what age is the "push down on a players head and neck while they are on their knees, with all your weight" taught? You know...  the hockey play.   Is that before or after slew foot/can opener 101 or punch to the back of the head class? 

That particular play wasn’t why I called him weak, it was just one example.  And it’s not just physical strength, but also mental toughness and intestinal fortitude.  Why did he not play the last two preseason games?  Was it due to injury or were Gallant and/or Drury not happy with his play?  I mean, 5 days ago wasn’t there a question whether or not he was even going to be in the opening night roster after not playing in those preseason games?

And I’ve seen highlights, especially his KHL goals.  A lot of pretty goals off the rush.  He wasn’t touched by a defender on any of them.   That might work on a larger ice surface in a league where hitting isn’t as big a part of the game, but he doesn’t have the time and space to make those plays in the NHL.  He’ll need to adjust his game to this league, but is he capable of doing that and still be an offensive threat?

As for the Hedman play, are you telling me you wouldn’t want Trouba to make the same play Hedman made given the chance?  Take your man into the boards to stop his forward momentum and then tie him up to allow your teammate to take control of the puck.  That was just a good defensive play.

Again, I hope he can bring it all together and become a good top 6 right wing for us, but after all the drama surrounding him the last few years is it going to work?  I’m just not sold. 

5 hours ago, deejaid said:

That particular play wasn’t why I called him weak, it was just one example.  And it’s not just physical strength, but also mental toughness and intestinal fortitude.  Why did he not play the last two preseason games?  Was it due to injury or were Gallant and/or Drury not happy with his play?  I mean, 5 days ago wasn’t there a question whether or not he was even going to be in the opening night roster after not playing in those preseason games?

And I’ve seen highlights, especially his KHL goals.  A lot of pretty goals off the rush.  He wasn’t touched by a defender on any of them.   That might work on a larger ice surface in a league where hitting isn’t as big a part of the game, but he doesn’t have the time and space to make those plays in the NHL.  He’ll need to adjust his game to this league, but is he capable of doing that and still be an offensive threat?

As for the Hedman play, are you telling me you wouldn’t want Trouba to make the same play Hedman made given the chance?  Take your man into the boards to stop his forward momentum and then tie him up to allow your teammate to take control of the puck.  That was just a good defensive play.

Again, I hope he can bring it all together and become a good top 6 right wing for us, but after all the drama surrounding him the last few years is it going to work?  I’m just not sold. 

?? 

He didn't play the last 2 preseason games because he played in (I think) all the other games. Not many players play every preseason game. 

They wanted to get a look at the fringe players. Namely Vesey, to confirm if they should offer him a contract. A few people confused Vesey getting big minutes in preseason,  thinking it assured him a top 6 role come start of the season.  It was like I said. Just to see more of him. 

There was zero question on if Kravtsov was going to make the roster. 

Yes obviously he has to translate his KHL success into the NHL. If you look at the few NHL highlights,  you can see he plays with no fear of taking the puck to the net and has a knack for finding open ice in "hard to go to" areas of the ice.

I'm getting this vibe that  you think that he's weak and plays some kind of Euro wuss style of hockey. He's a pretty big kid and from the little I've seen,  he doesn't seem to shy away from contact and is pretty smart defensively. 

On the Hedman play. Why do you just conveniently look past the end of the play,  where Hedman (6'7 250) puts all of his weight down and literally pushes down on the kids head? The part before that, was the hockey play. The extra unnecessary roughing after it was not. That's not tying the guy up. He's down on a knee, he's pretty much not going to do anything on a knee. No need to push his head towards the ice with force. How are you missing that? Look at the pressure that is being forced down on his head by one of the biggest players in the game.   Who could walk away from that and not have some sort of strain? 

8 minutes ago, -ERIK- said:

Honestly,the play wasn't even that bad imo 

I like Kravvy a lot and want him to succeed but man he's going to take some hits like that in the NHL

I'm with you Erik.  I didn't see anything really that bad or body crushing , and I watched the play 6 times!!  I've seen a whole lot worse than that!

I really want to see this kid take off.  It would be a shot in the arm for everyone, but his past attitude, and actions have really put him behind the 8-ball here with a bunch of people.  Hopefully he gets back in the lineup quickly and gets back at it, but he's gonna take some shots here and there.

Hopefully he's got a some more toughness in him.  I still have no idea what happened, but shit!  It didn't look that bad to me!  No penalty on it either....So apparently eith er the refs didn't see anything, or it just was routine board shit that goes on.

• VINNY! 1

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I'm with you Erik.  I didn't see anything really that bad or body crushing , and I watched the play 6 times!!  I've seen a whole lot worse than that!

I really want to see this kid take off.  It would be a shot in the arm for everyone, but his past attitude, and actions have really put him behind the 8-ball here with a bunch of people.  Hopefully he gets back in the lineup quickly and gets back at it, but he's gonna take some shots here and there.

Hopefully he's got a some more toughness in him.  I still have no idea what happened, but shit!  It didn't look that bad to me!  No penalty on it either....So apparently eith er the refs didn't see anything, or it just was routine board shit that goes on.

I'm with you Oz. 

Didn't see much, did he lean on him, yes. Did he do it with all his body weight, no, didn't see anything like that. More like normal board play. 

Would I want Trouba to do it?, yes every single time while whispering welcome to the NHL bitch. 

Hoping he's back soon and turns out to be a contributor moving forward after the very abbreviated start. 

LGR! 🔥 

• VINNY! 1

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

spacer.png

How do you not see this?  His head starts above the boards. Winds up skate level. @jsrangers That's some lean on a guy Kravtsovs size. 

Edited by The Dude

Just now, Pete said:

Honestly, it's not that bad. If that gave him a conky, it's worrisome.

I'd think it's more of a shoulder/neck strain. He's down and looks ok as he tries to fight for the puck. Looks like he was hurt after that. 

Watch it in real time and it looks (to me anyway) like Hedman has to force him down pretty good, which means Kravtsov was trying to push back up. Again 6'6 250 is a bit much to try to force up with your neck from your knees. 

• Cheers 2
  • VINNY! 1

34 minutes ago, The Dude said:

spacer.png

How do you not see this?  His head starts above the boards. Winds up skate level. @jsrangers That's some lean on a guy Kravtsovs size. 

Didn't say I didn't see it in fact watched it repeatedly.  You can slow down a boat load of hits every game and it looks like guys get blown up yet the play continues on and rarely do guys leave the ice.  

I also said I hope he comes back soon and makes an impact.  

Edited by jsrangers

47 minutes ago, The Dude said:

spacer.png

This is baby shit, Dude man....this kinda stuff happens A LOT.  I used to get this shit playing against my friends in Dek Hockey!  LOL

40 minutes ago, Pete said:

Honestly, it's not that bad. If that gave him a conky, it's worrisome.

It is worrisome!  If he can't take stuff like this, what happens when someone actually "Trouba-trains" him?

1 hour ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

I'm pretty sure I was hit harder than that when I roughhoused with my 4 older brothers when I was a kid.

Dude, Keith hit me with a splash from his beer bucket harder than this at Rudi's!!  LOL

Edited by Ozzy
  • Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, jsrangers said:

Didn't say I didn't see it in fact watched it repeatedly.  You can slow down a boat load of hits every game and it looks like guys get blown up yet the play continues on and rarely do guys leave the ice.  

I also said I hope he comes back soon and makes an impact.  

This is moments after the hit.  Not the hit. He makes a play for the puck after the bump.

Ehh. I'll take the L. Guess I see it differently. It's a bit embarrassing anyway,  because it reminds me of this scene  lol.

Edited by The Dude
  • LMFAO 1

9 minutes ago, The Dude said:

This is moments after the hit.  Not the hit. He makes a play for the puck after the bump.

Ehh. I'll take the L. Guess I see it differently. It's a bit embarrassing anyway,  because it reminds me of this scene  lol.

No L, and no hill to die on here for me from my side either. Way too early to be anything other than hopeful after one game. Cheers.

5 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Uggh. It's not even the hit! AFTER THE HIT!!!

Yeah I gotcha Dude.  It's just not that bad in my opinion.  Just seems like he's pushing down on his head a little bit.  Other than a strained ovary or a bruised vagina, he should be fine.  LOL

My point is I've seen a lot worse that's all