• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Dryden Hunt on Waivers; Claimed by Avs

Phil

5 hours ago, Phil said:

I'd imagine he will be. He's a dirt cheap reliable fourth-line forward who never complains. Colorado, maybe? Lando is out long-term, so they're reshuffling the decks, and have Jayson Megna on their NHL roster at the moment.

reppppp

This WOULD happen. Lmao. 

For as much as I shit all over that guy (relentlessly) I feel icky that they chose Carpenter and PTO Vesey over a guy that was an (ahhemm) every day player last year and was playing ok. 

On the other hand it puts a dent in my suggestion that he was a Gallant guy,  who would get more undeserved chances. Then again Carpenter is here. So, we know who gave better head. 

This is all a little weird. Having no depth is uncomfortable.  Hunt is Hunt, but they really have nothing to fail back on in case if injury or for when Vesey Veseys. Unless they finally realize the untapped potential of Gauthier. Yeah... That's probably it. 

6 hours ago, Sod16 said:

Wow, this means 31 teams passed on him and the 32nd, the defending champions, took him.

Yes, that means the defending champs think he's good enough to have on their team yet somehow some fans believe he's not good enough to play on the Rangers... 🤔

I'm sure he'll be on waivers, again, this season.

Need the roster flexibility to be able to send people up and down in a tight cap situation. Jones and Schneider the only kids that can get sent down.

Edited by josh

7 hours ago, Sod16 said:

Wow, this means 31 teams passed on him and the 32nd, the defending champions, took him.

No, it means 31 other teams likely didn't have the roster room to add him without subtracting a contract. The Avs did because they just lost Lando and Darren Helm for like half the year or more.

He's a good, reliable fourth-line forward who never complains. Coaches dream.

It means that 30 teams passed on him and one bit.  By contrast, if all 31 teams put in a claim, he would have gone to Arizona and you would not know that any other team put in a claim.  What happened was unusual, because you could tell exactly who put in claims or not, which you can't do when a player gets taken by anyone but No. 32.

11 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

It means that 30 teams passed on him and one bit.  By contrast, if all 31 teams put in a claim, he would have gone to Arizona and you would not know that any other team put in a claim.  What happened was unusual, because you could tell exactly who put in claims or not, which you can't do when a player gets taken by anyone but No. 32.

Isn’t waivers order based off standings? Colorado isn’t in first so technically someone else could have claimed him. No? 

1 hour ago, Sod16 said:

It means 31 teams already have a Dryden Hunt and didn't see the point in waiving one to get another.

I don't give too much credit to marginal players for not complaining.  I sure wouldn't.

Yes, 31 teams passed on him, for reasons we can't actually know. I just don't agree with your assertion, or insinuation, that it's because he's worthless. Specifically because the defending Cup champs put in a claim.

6 minutes ago, Phil said:

Yes, 31 teams passed on him, for reasons we can't actually know. I just don't agree with your assertion, or insinuation, that it's because he's worthless. Specifically because the defending Cup champs put in a claim.

This.

"Wow, 30 teams passed on him!"

Yes, but the best team in the NHL put in a claim, so maybe they see something that forum users don't.

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

This.

Yes, but the best team in the NHL put in a claim, so maybe they see something that forum users don't.

Yup. And it's like I said before, the Avs were in a unique position having just lost Lando for half the year after having lost Helm for who the hell knows how long with an abdominal tear. They had the room that those other 31 teams probably didn't without needing to expose one of their current roster players to waivers to make room for Hunt.

I just don't buy the face argument that he's worthless.

1 hour ago, siddious said:

Isn’t waivers order based off standings? Colorado isn’t in first so technically someone else could have claimed him. No? 

I thought its like a rolling basis where it resets. like to start training camp they wouldve been last priority but any team that has since claimed a player off waivers gets bumped to the back of the line and so on and so forth

5 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

I thought its like a rolling basis where it resets. like to start training camp they wouldve been last priority but any team that has since claimed a player off waivers gets bumped to the back of the line and so on and so forth

It's based on last year's standing for players waived before Nov 1.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pete said:

This.

Well, look who they picked to get their starting goalie.  Not all their decisions are gems.

They needed a warm body, with some experience and they picked up a guy who played with Panarin for 3/4 of the year and managed an amazing 6 goals..  Yeah its his talent that they saw and jumped on the opportunity to pick up this amazing player. 

I'm sure he'll see the waiver wire again.  Probably landing back with the Rangers.