• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS #6] Rangers vs. Columbus Blue Jackets — Dinnertime Hockey

Morphinity 2.0

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Or hidden option like figure out a fucking plan when you don't have the puck. 

I'm really kind of tired of hearing about how "it worked last year"... It didn't work, the reason they lost to Tampa with the same symptoms that showed up all year long. They didn't get power plays, and they couldn't score at even strength.

Now everyone's back saying how good they were, and that's great but they weren't good enough. 

GG doesn't strike me as a coach who draws up a "plan". They still don't really have a system. We gotta hope for great goaltending and being top 5 in the league with special teams.

40 minutes ago, Phil said:

It's almost like signing a 37-year-old goalie in a three+ year decline wasn't a very effective idea? I can smell the spicy pork and broccoli cooking as we speak.

Was eagerly awaiting this. Both the goaltending and the offense lost this game. Absolutely dreadful on both ends. I'm sure a date with the defending cup champ Avalanche and the return of Georgiev is what this team needs after two poor games against poor competition. Maybe they'll rise to the occasion. 

1 minute ago, Cash or Czech said:

Was eagerly awaiting this. Both the goaltending and the offense lost this game. Absolutely dreadful on both ends. I'm sure a date with the defending cup champ Avalanche and the return of Georgiev is what this team needs after two poor games against poor competition. Maybe they'll rise to the occasion. 

Or skid out in both. Avs + Geo and then a national game against the Isles, who they always play down to? Could get ugly, fast.

5 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

Aside from the obvious defensive lapses and woeful goaltending (too many low danger chances let in), feel like the team overcompensated based on Turk's rant from the last game. 

1 hour ago, Phil said:

It's almost like signing a 37-year-old goalie in a three+ year decline wasn't a very effective idea? I can smell the spicy pork and broccoli cooking as we speak.

These stats tell the accurate story imo. We've had some pretty bad luck last two games (six posts combined) and Halak was absolutely brutal against CBJ. Should we have scored more than one? Yep, we should have and didn't, so we lost, but I don't think we lost the game against CBJ because the team sucked.

We lost against SJS because the whole team played absolute garbage in the third period and OT and it took one period to beat us that game because we got unlucky on the other end again. 

Team defense is still a problem though and hopefully they will figure this one out, but I don't really think that's what happened last two games. 

• Bullseye 1

1 hour ago, Phil said:

But the team would've still lost 2-1 even if Halak didn't give up the softies that he should've saved. So obviously more issues than just him last night. No doubt he's had a pretty underwhelming start to his Rangers tenure, but not writing him off quite just yet. 

4 minutes ago, Valriera said:

These stats tell the accurate story imo. We've had some pretty bad luck last two games (six posts combined) and Halak was absolutely brutal against CBJ. Should we have scored more than one? Yep, we should have and didn't, so we lost, but I don't think we lost the game against CBJ because the team sucked.

We lost against SJS because the whole team played absolute garbage in the third period and OT and it took one period to beat us that game because we got unlucky on the other end again. 

Team defense is still a problem though and hopefully they will figure this one out, but I don't really think that's what happened last two games. 

Right on. I haven’t been too disappointed even in the losses. A couple of bad stretches in game, sure, but I’m not walking away thinking the Rangers were outplayed at all. It certainly hasn’t been hanging hopes on goaltending like large chunks of last year. I’m walking away thinking the Rangers outplayed the other team and “shit happens”. It won’t be 60 min domination every night. Move on.

3 hours ago, Pete said:

Those breaks don't often include the other team losing top line players 2 games in a row.

They don't get past Pittsburgh if Crosby isn't hurt, IMO. 

Point being, they're basically coming back with the same team so something else has to change. 

Oh I don’t disagree.

My point is, they’re down to finer details. 
Big picture is painted. 

26 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Right on. I haven’t been too disappointed even in the losses. A couple of bad stretches in game, sure, but I’m not walking away thinking the Rangers were outplayed at all. It certainly hasn’t been hanging hopes on goaltending like large chunks of last year. I’m walking away thinking the Rangers outplayed the other team and “shit happens”. It won’t be 60 min domination every night. Move on.

i certainly wouldnt say our defense outplayed their defense and "shit happened".  We outshot/outchanced them but our defense left much to be desired.  

12 minutes ago, CCCP said:

i certainly wouldnt say our defense outplayed their defense and "shit happened".  We outshot/outchanced them but our defense left much to be desired.  

The scoring chance reports were flipped and lopsided in the other direction so many times last year, including for a lot of wins. In 5 out of 6 games they have generated far more chances than the teams they are playing. San Jose was the only game they were outchanced and it was fairly close.

Just seems like the Rangers can’t appease anyone. Last year they would win but the reports looked bad, so it was fool’s gold built on Igor carrying them. This year they lose a couple of games, but the reports were either good or “got slightly outplayed”, and it’s “they are relying on Igor to carry them” which isn’t true. So far they have required an average amount of expected goals to go in combined with average goaltending. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

The scoring chance reports were flipped and lopsided in the other direction so many times last year, including for a lot of wins. In 5 out of 6 games they have generated far more chances than the teams they are playing. San Jose was the only game they were outchanced and it was fairly close.

Just seems like the Rangers can’t appease anyone. Last year they would win but the reports looked bad, so it was fool’s gold built on Igor carrying them. This year they lose a couple of games, but the reports were either good or “got slightly outplayed”, and it’s “they are relying on Igor to carry them” which isn’t true. So far they have required an average amount of expected goals to go in combined with average goaltending. 

Sorry dude, but going back to last year this team has shown that they cannot score at five on five and they cannot defend a five on five, and that story has not changed. 

28 minutes ago, Pete said:

Sorry dude, but going back to last year this team has shown that they cannot score at five on five and they cannot defend a five on five, and that story has not changed. 

The reports and numbers you looked at to say that was the case last year now say you’re wrong.

1 hour ago, rmc51 said:

its not about appeasing.  The rangers defensive game totally sucks.  You know it.  I know it. Hell, even Pete knows it.  

6 hours ago, Pete said:

He played 11:33.

How can anyone come out of watching whatever happened last night and sit there and complain about one rookies ice time? 

Well if you double the 11:33 TOI maybe he ends up with a SOG who knows?

51 minutes ago, Pete said:

No they don't, but I also understand that you will never let facts change your mind. 

At 5v5, the Rangers are 5th in CF%, 10th in HDCF%, 8th in xGF%. Last year they were 25th, 21st, 24th respectively. There isn’t anything wrong with even strength play this year. They aren’t PP reliant. They still give up chances, but they are generating significantly more than last year. That doesn’t make them reliant on their goaltender. It makes them the Florida Panthers with some grit and [usually] better goaltending.

The mantra last year was they sucked at 5v5 and the only reason they won anything is because the goalie was stopping all the additional high quality chances opposing teams were getting. They have been anything but “sucky” at 5v5 this year. They have dominated for long stretches. They are generating more chances than their opponents on average. That’s flipping the narrative from last year on its proverbial head.

Meanwhile, they are 30th in SV% and xGA is lower than GA. xGA/60 for Halak is 2.65, but he’s giving up 4.02. Shesterkin is 2.21, giving up 2.31. Our two regulation losses were with Halak in net. Shesterkin is 3-0-1 but only has a .901 SV%. The stats indicate Shesterkin has been quite average and Halak has been awful.

13 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

At 5v5, the Rangers are 5th in CF%, 10th in HDCF%, 8th in xGF%. Last year they were 25th, 21st, 24th respectively. There isn’t anything wrong with even strength play this year. They aren’t PP reliant. They still give up chances, but they are generating significantly more than last year. That doesn’t make them reliant on their goaltender. It makes them the Florida Panthers with some grit and [usually] better goaltending.

The mantra last year was they sucked at 5v5 and the only reason they won anything is because the goalie was stopping all the additional high quality chances opposing teams were getting. They have been anything but “sucky” at 5v5 this year. They have dominated for long stretches. They are generating more chances than their opponents on average. That’s flipping the narrative from last year on its proverbial head.

Meanwhile, they are 30th in SV% and xGA is lower than GA. xGA/60 for Halak is 2.65, but he’s giving up 4.02. Shesterkin is 2.21, giving up 2.31. Our two regulation losses were with Halak in net. Shesterkin is 3-0-1 but only has a .901 SV%. The stats indicate Shesterkin has been quite average and Halak has been awful.

The Rangers don't win when they don't get or score on the power play, and they don't win when they don't get highly above average goaltending. 

No matter how you try to spin that based on a small sample size, the fact remains.

The fact of the matter is they trotted out the same team except for an "upgrade" at 2C but the defensive issues persist and so does the five on five goal scoring. 

The trends are the same as last year, don't get it twisted because they played a couple of bad teams out of the gate. 

Shesty is 3-0-1 but giving up four goals to the Ducks is a joke. It just so happened the Rangers scored 6 with 3 on the PP... And then that same trend of play continued to San Jose and right on through to Columbus. They took their foot off the gas in San Jose because they just assumed another goal was coming, and they never had their foot on the gas last night.

This is clearly a coaching issue and not a talent issue. 

Edited by Pete

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

The Rangers don't win when they don't get or score on the power play, and they don't win when they don't get highly above average goaltending. 

No matter how you try to spin that based on a small sample size, the fact remains.

The fact of the matter is they trotted out the same team except for an "upgrade" at 2C but the defensive issues persist and so does the five on five goal scoring. 

The trends are the same as last year, don't get it twisted because they played a couple of bad teams out of the gate. 

Shesty is 3-0-1 but giving up four goals to the Ducks is a joke. It just so happened the Rangers scored 6 with 3 on the PP... And then that same trend of play continued to San Jose and right on through to Columbus. They took their foot off the gas in San Jose because they just assumed another goal was coming, and they never had their foot on the gas last night.

This is clearly a coaching issue and not a talent issue. 

There’s no stats here. There’s no facts here.

• Applause 1

1 minute ago, rmc51 said:

There’s no stats here. There’s no facts here.

Of course there is, go and look at the record when they don't get a power play goal and they don't get above .920 goaltending. I'll wait here. 

This shit is well documented across the Twitter sphere.Your ignorance of the facts doesn't mean there are not facts. 

Edited by Pete