• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS #8] Rangers @ New York Islanders — Here We Go Again

Phil

13 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I actually disagree.

The Rangers we’re playing run and gun, loosey goosey hockey against Anaheim, for example, and once we had numbers up, they got off their game defensively and Anaheim scored some goals when, not that the game was over, but the game was somewhat in hand. I feel like, and Gallant has said it, that the team got a bit way from its identity there and they want to play a full 60. And since then, the offense has gone MIA.

I'm not sure what part you are disagreeing with, at least based on what you are saying. That's not really refuting that the offense has stopped converting, or that the goaltending has been well below average. Are you saying the defense hasn't had shoddy stretches?

9 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

I'm not sure what part you are disagreeing with, at least based on what you are saying. That's not really refuting that the offense has stopped converting, or that the goaltending has been well below average. Are you saying the defense hasn't had shoddy stretches?

I’m saying that the defense has let the goaltenders down; not the goaltenders letting the team down.

The only stinker of the bunch was Halak against CBJ. And really, he sucked but the whole team sucked. And still, knowing we had the back to backs coming up, I don’t get Gallants logic for throwing Igor in to only 1 of the 3 games. Still makes no sense.

Edited by RichieNextel305

Like water torture wasn't it???  I'd rather get hit by a bus in both directions than lose to this, or any Islanders team!

Probably 41 of the quietest shots you'll ever see!

....And here are the Top 9 nominees for Ozzy’s Quote of the GDT:

4 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

@Keirik stop texting me wiener pics.  I'm working and can't check my phone.  Just post them here so we can all enjoy them...or DM me lol 

4 hours ago, Abe Froman said:

Keith Jones needs to lay off the pasta.

3 hours ago, Karan said:

Laffy dude you left enough time for Sorokin to check his Twitter mentions. 

3 hours ago, Pete said:

Because his wrist shot wouldn't break toilet paper. 

2 hours ago, Keirik said:

I have a better chance of scoring tonight with Ozzy who's right next to me than the Rangers do thus far tonight 

2 hours ago, 4EverRangerFrank said:

At this point I don’t think the Rangers can score on Halak. 

1 hour ago, josh said:

At least I’m getting a bunch of bikini/bra ads on the thread.

but most the bitches at flat, just like the rangers. 

1 hour ago, josh said:

Haven’t you seen enough shit tonight?

1 hour ago, 4EverRangerFrank said:

The only shit worse than this is the Hallmark Channel and their ‘Christmas in Summer’ movies. 

…and the winning quote for tonight’s GDT goes to: @SaveByRichter35...one of our Bar Room crew who was unable to make it last night. 

You missed quite a few buckets of brew, and the three of us basically sitting there waiting for us to generate a ....what's that thing they score in hockey??  ....oh yeah, a goal!!  Haven't seen one of those in quite some time!

I know it's early yet, but that was fucking putrid!

• Like 2
  • Bullseye 2
  • Cheers 1

Can't win if you don't score goals. Is this a bump in the road or the start of an insurmountable incline for this year?

Should've kept Copp or Stromer to keep that mojo flowing from last year. This team is so disjointed, it looks like a shell of itself from the post season last year.

Gallant has another week or so to fix this or may as well post the Gallant Watch up top.

9 hours ago, jsrangers said:

I do think they have to adjust their urgency level. All that big dick energy and swag they grew over the summer after the deep playoff run lasted 2 games. It's been a struggle since. 

Exactly this! Team is playing with less intensity and speed. The PP in particular has slowed too much - we were whipping the puck around, now it’s a tap game. And yes, swagger has left the building. 

They've had bad Octobers before, but I can't really remember the last time they looked this discombobulated. This is still a good team and hopefully it doesn't take that much longer for them to readjust. As others have said some good talent and character players are no longer here. It's amazing how much they looked like world beaters the first few two or three games and now just look like a total mess.

It's rough going right now. If we believe in the xG model, we created a ton of chances yet again and our finishing let us down. Can't win if you don't score. Forwards need to figure out why the puck isn't going in the net. The PP looks predictable too. I think opponents have adjusted how they kill for us. 

They're looking very much like they did under Quinn right now, which kind of makes me think it wasn't as much Quinn as everybody wanted it to be, and last year was pretty much about four or five players and the best goalie in the world. 

• Bullseye 1

2 hours ago, Pete said:

They're looking very much like they did under Quinn right now, which kind of makes me think it wasn't as much Quinn as everybody wanted it to be, and last year was pretty much about four or five players and the best goalie in the world. 

This kind of feels like the polar opposite of last year. We're no longer getting worked over on 5v5, we're no longer begging for a powerplay and a big stop to keep us alive. We're winning the possession battle, we're winning the fancystats game, we're winning faceoffs, of all things. We're hitting, skating, keeping zone pressure on - we're doing everything "right" and getting no reward for it. The point Hank made in the intermissions about needing to adapt play when it isn't going your way is correct, and that inability/lack of desire to adapt is a flaw in the roster that should be addressed at the TDL. 

Aside from a few select moments (third period against San Jose, first period against the Avs, maybe the third against the Jets too), they've been the better team on the ice most nights.   

16 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

This kind of feels like the polar opposite of last year. We're no longer getting worked over on 5v5, we're no longer begging for a powerplay and a big stop to keep us alive. We're winning the possession battle, we're winning the fancystats game, we're winning faceoffs, of all things. We're hitting, skating, keeping zone pressure on - we're doing everything "right" and getting no reward for it. The point Hank made in the intermissions about needing to adapt play when it isn't going your way is correct, and that inability/lack of desire to adapt is a flaw in the roster that should be addressed at the TDL. 

Aside from a few select moments (third period against San Jose, first period against the Avs, maybe the third against the Jets too), they've been the better team on the ice most nights.   

This is exactly right. The team fixed all the stats from last year and has not maintained the swagger they had where they were figuring out ways to win. We can't whine all last year when they were winning and getting worked 5v5/statistically and then continue to whine this year when we're not winning but have drastically improved in the stats department. 

This is a team that is frustrated because despite all their chances the puck is not going in. We hit eight posts during this four game stretch and lost two games because of awful goaltending. It's still a flawed team but a much, much better one than last year. If they keep playing like this they will win many games, but there's no doubt that it's a rut right now. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

That’s mostly how I feel. They look better in some situations than they did last year but it seems to me l that an 5 v 5 they are just waiting around for a PP to get them going. Plus, they’ve made zero adjustments on said PP from last year while the rest of the league has scouted it and made adjustments. 

• Phil unpinned this topic
1 hour ago, LindG1000 said:

Agree, it's also the polar opposite of the games we won, where we weren't good 5v5 if I recall, and were still living mostly on PP.

Really can't put the whole package together, and the team defesne still ain't great.

Edited by Pete

4 hours ago, Pete said:

I don’t think I go this far.

under Quinn, they were disinterested in playing. Now, they came out too cocky after the first few games, hit a rough patch and lost all confidence. They are practically going into games thinking they live already won, while opponents are coming out and playing their best games against a perceived cup contender. 

6 minutes ago, josh said:

under Quinn, they were disinterested in playing. Now, they came out too cocky after the first few games, hit a rough patch and lost all confidence. They are practically going into games thinking they live already won, while opponents are coming out and playing their best games against a perceived cup contender. 

Yeah the Rangers found a formula for success that worked for them in the playoffs. The thing is that formula was backed up by intensity and desperation. Both of which are obviously lacking at this early stage of the regular season, and that's fine you don't expect the same level of fire as in the playoffs. The problem is that formula has been scouted by several teams now and they've employed methods to neutralize it. And as you said, the Rangers are walking into games thinking all they need to do is rinse and repeat that formula and the goals will come. Since that obviously hasn't happened, they've started to lose confidence to deviate from that. There's little to no creativity or adaptability in their game right now. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, josh said:

I agree with that, I was saying before in another thread that I think they let good get to them and they forgot they have to play 82 games to get back to the playoffs. 

14 minutes ago, Keirik said:

I’m still a little confused as to why Halak played last night considering he played Sunday. Two out of our last 3 was with the backup. 

Maybe to try to get the guys to play?

renney and torts would randomly go with a backup to try to get the boys to move