• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Julien Gauthier Redemption Tour?

Phil

2 hours ago, CCCP said:

no, he's not a NHL player all of a sudden just because he chocked someone for 7 seconds.  He scored a highlight reel goal but it will be another 25 or so games until he scores another one.  He was involved in a scrum but other than that i dont even remember him putting a shot on goal.  For him to become any type of offensive contributor, he has to be able to at least put some shots on goal

Exactly, it's way too early to judge Tro, this guy has been here for a couple years already and had chances to play yet still found himself on the wire and being passed on by every team in the league.  Is being waived and not claimed a motivator sure. Will it stick, way way too soon to say it will. Hopefully it does. 

• Applause 1

He's showing encouraging signs of engagement, involvement, and production. 

And I say he's showing signs of it because he came from absolutely nothing other than skating around with a jersey on and doing nothing of value. 

So there's a reason to be optimistic, but that's about it. 

Edited by Pete
  • Like 1

Angry Forget You GIF by Film Riot

He's a bit more physically engaged, but the guy has been playing this way for a while.  

Brooks had an interesting stat in an earlier article about Gauthiers hits per 60, last year:

Gauthier, of all people, was second on the team in hits per 60:00 at 11.64 to Ryan Reaves’ 22.78. Hunt was third at 9.83.

http://https:/nypost.com/2022/10/02/julien-gauthier-likely-to-fall-victim-to-rangers-roster-crunch/

He may have a bit more bite to him now that he realizes he has to impress in every game or he's gone, but he's always been hitting, he's been pretty good defensively and he generates chances. He can and was planted as a screen infront of the net last year for a few games too.   

This isn't new. Idk if the bottom 6 has just been that bad this year, that people are just glad to see someone do something/anything,  but I feel like the guy has been playing a pretty sound all around game since last year and can do more than just take the puck to the net (and not score)..

Guy needs more ice time with some better/confident linemates. How about they compliment what he does,  with players that can capitalize on what he does bring?  WTF do they have to lose in trying to go with the flow with him? Vesey has Vesey'd. Time to move on from him, hes another guy thats just kinda ... there. Hes wimpy, hes gutless, and hes not playing with any spark.. Bump Blais up or put Kravtsov with Gauthier and Chytil.   Shit call up Trivigno. Build something that isn't vanilla or a waste of ice time.

Put together a 3rd line that can put a goalie on his heels every now and then. Right now the player to do that with, is Gauthier. Go with it.  It'll be much more entertaining than watching Vesey do Vesey things. 

Edited by The Dude

44 minutes ago, Pete said:

He's showing encouraging signs of being engagement, involvement, and production. 

And I say he's showing signs of it because he came from absolutely nothing other than skating around with their Jersey on and doing nothing of value. 

So there's a reason to be optimistic, but that's about it. 

You have a way with words that entertains me daily. Thank you!

• Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Angry Forget You GIF by Film Riot

He's a bit more physically engaged, but the guy has been playing this way for a while.  

Brooks had an interesting stat in an earlier article about Gauthiers hits per 60, last year:

http://https:/nypost.com/2022/10/02/julien-gauthier-likely-to-fall-victim-to-rangers-roster-crunch/

He may have a bit more bite to him now that he realizes he has to impress in every game or he's gone, but he's always been hitting, he's been pretty good defensively and he generates chances. He can and was planted as a screen infront of the net last year for a few games too.   

This isn't new. Idk if the bottom 6 has just been that bad this year, that people are just glad to see someone do something/anything,  but I feel like the guy has been playing a pretty sound all around game since last year and can do more than just take the puck to the net (and not score)..

Guy needs more ice time with some better/confident linemates. How about they compliment what he does,  with players that can capitalize on what he does bring?  WTF do they have to lose in trying to go with the flow with him? Vesey has Vesey'd. Time to move on from him, hes another guy thats just kinda ... there. Hes wimpy, hes gutless, and hes not playing with any spark.. Bump Blais up or put Kravtsov with Gauthier and Chytil.   Shit call up Trivigno. Build something that isn't vanilla or a waste of ice time.

Put together a 3rd line that can put a goalie on his heels every now and then. Right now the player to do that with, is Gauthier. Go with it.  It'll be much more entertaining than watching Vesey do Vesey things. 

I can get behind some of the other stuff you said but what I bolded. He’s straight up terrible defensively when the other team is set up.  He can back check well due to his speed but he’s not good otherwise in that zone. I think this is the main reason he went unwanted when he was waived. He doesn’t offer enough offensively to make up for the defensive deficiencies.

2 minutes ago, Kevin said:

I can get behind some of the other stuff you said but what I bolded. He’s straight up terrible defensively when the other team is set up.  He can back check well due to his speed but he’s not good otherwise in that zone. I think this is the main reason he went unwanted when he was waived. He doesn’t offer enough offensively to make up for the defensive deficiencies.

I disagree.  He's gotten much better since Gallant got here.

He's been pretty good at creating turn overs dating back to last season.  I don't recall many plays where he is blown by, or misses his man on a goal. He's really good on the forecheck and at pressuring puck handlers if they are in the circles or in back of the net. Very underrated defensively. Two years ago? Sure. Totally agree.  Since Gallant got here? I disagree.  

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

I disagree.  He's gotten much better since Gallant got here.

He's been pretty good at creating turn overs dating back to last season.  I don't recall many plays where he is blown by, or misses his man on a goal. He's really good on the forecheck and at pressuring puck handlers if they are in the circles or in back of the net. Very underrated defensively. Two years ago? Sure. Totally agree.  Since Gallant got here? I disagree.  

I mean specifically in the d zone. He gets lost in coverage.  Chases the play constantly which ends up leaving people unmarked. 

that being said I’m still willing to give him a shot because you’re right with the vanilla of the rest of the 3rd/4th line. He offers something that’s currently lacking without Chytil.

The version of Gauthier that came back from Hartford is a guy that can play on my team. He's hitting, he's forechecking, he's making plays, and he looks like he could be a true third liner on a good team. 

We've seen this version of Gauthier in fits and spurts before, so I think it's all about consistency for him now. 

• Believe 1

13 hours ago, The Dude said:

Vesey has Vesey'd. Time to move on from him, hes another guy thats just kinda ... there. Hes wimpy, hes gutless, and hes not playing with any spark.. Bump Blais up or put Kravtsov with Gauthier and Chytil.   Shit call up Trivigno. Build something that isn't vanilla or a waste of ice time.

A state of affairs that was widely anticipated from the start.  To soon be the subject of a thread near you.

2 hours ago, LindG1000 said:

The version of Gauthier that came back from Hartford is a guy that can play on my team. He's hitting, he's forechecking, he's making plays, and he looks like he could be a true third liner on a good team. 

We've seen this version of Gauthier in fits and spurts before, so I think it's all about consistency for him now. 

i must be fucking blind...lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CCCP said:

i must be fucking blind...lol

I don't think it's even that, Simon....

I just see "eye-test" stuff.  Things that I catch that leads me to believe that he's growing as a player:

• Taking more direct routes to the puck/puck carrier
  • Finishing checks that matter, instead of chasing the player/play
  • Defensive play was an issue, he seems to be in position more often since he's come back up...again, not chasing the play

He seems to be using his speed as a advantage rather than a hindrance this time.  I haven't checked any turnover stats, but I bet they're fairly lower than before.  He's keeping his play very simple;  Get it deep, and go get it back, finishing defenseman along the way....wearing them down over the game.  That's what I would like out of him.  He lacks a scoring touch, but he can score as we've seen.  If he could make himself into somewhat of a net-front presence between now and the playoffs, who knows what this kid could have on tap!

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

I don't think it's even that, Simon....

I just see "eye-test" stuff.  Things that I catch that leads me to believe that he's growing as a player:

• Taking more direct routes to the puck/puck carrier
  • Finishing checks that matter, instead of chasing the player/play
  • Defensive play was an issue, he seems to be in position more often since he's come back up...again, not chasing the play

He seems to be using his speed as a advantage rather than a hindrance this time.  I haven't checked any turnover stats, but I bet they're fairly lower than before.  He's keeping his play very simple;  Get it deep, and go get it back, finishing defenseman along the way....wearing them down over the game.  That's what I would like out of him.  He lacks a scoring touch, but he can score as we've seen.  If he could make himself into somewhat of a net-front presence between now and the playoffs, who knows what this kid could have on tap!

$5 says you wont see any of it tonight

• LMFAO 1

Gauthier & Blais could prove pivotal to team's fortunes
https://www.thescore.com/s/23464214

I said this in preseason. 

If anything,  I don't get why they didn't send Blais down on a rehab/conditioning assignment,  if they are still admittedly waiting for him to get his shit together.  

Put the kid line back together and disperse these 2 as top 6 wingers until Kravtsov gets healthy. No Vesey. Enough Vesey.  

On 11/2/2022 at 9:30 PM, Kevin said:

I mean specifically in the d zone. He gets lost in coverage.  Chases the play constantly which ends up leaving people unmarked. 

that being said I’m still willing to give him a shot because you’re right with the vanilla of the rest of the 3rd/4th line. He offers something that’s currently lacking without Chytil.

well so does Fox but he plays half the game

1 hour ago, Sod16 said:

Drove hard to the net and took a huge hit.  See anyone else on this team doing that?

And he got right back up and the guy who hit him was shaken up instead lol. I'm hoping Gauthier continues to embrace this tough role. Crashing the net, hitting, scrumming/sticking up for teammates. If he does all these things consistently he's a great bottom 6 forward imo. If he does start finding the back of the net he could be a good top 6 forward too.