• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Julien Gauthier Redemption Tour?

Phil

6 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

What it is, I think, is that people don't care to notice it if it's not resulting in points.

It's nice having Gauthier give some respectability to the 4th line, but he's deserving of more.

Yeah, I guess.

I've always been of the opinion that if a guy keeps getting scoring chances, it's always a positive outcome. Sustaining pressure on the other team and making them work is all you can ask for from your 4th line.

Eventually those chances will convert to goals. More so than when your 4th line gets absolutely nothing going and puts zero pressure on the opposition. They are there to wear down the other team and make them work for that shift. Pressure is just as valuable as energy plays,  like hitting and agitating. If you can have a 4th line that can keep the puck in the offensive zone for most of its shift and gain scoring chances. You have a good 4th line. 

• Bullseye 1

54 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Or he's finally getting a chance. He has a good shot. He just doesn't play and has/had flaws to other parts of his game that coaches seemed to focus more on, instead of using him in a way that suites his strong points. They like his size and speed along with how he takes the puck to the net. But want him to be a checking forward....  Not like they couldn't use a size/ speed guy who hoes to the net in the top 6....

The guy is either an idiot or has some kind of attitude/chip on his shoulder, that makes coaches not want to put him in a position to succeed.

He's gotten maybe 8 shifts in the top 6 in 3 years. Dryden Hunt spent 3/4 of a season with Panarin. Jimmy Vesey gets top 6 minutes over this guy. It's gotta be the players  attitude or mental capacity.  I don't understand why he hasn't gotten more looks in a scoring role. 

I don’t disagree with your analysis. 

I just don’t know what to make of him.

Carolina is a good organization and they gave up on him after what,??? 5 NHL games with them? And that’s after 3 nice seasons in the AHL.

Maybe it was maturity or attitude as has been mentioned. 

Do I see the talent?

Yes.

Do I see maybe late bloomer?

Yes.

Do I see a scorers shot?

No- with the caveat that he shoots hard, but not well and not enough. 
Do I see a scorers hands?

Maybe????

We won’t know unless he plays more. But he’s earning some minutes now.

Remember, he might be 6-7 years removed from his draft class, but only 25, and he’s played 120 NHL games at about 10 minutes a night 

7 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Carolina is a good organization and they gave up on him after what,??? 5 NHL games with them? And that’s after 3 nice seasons in the AHL.

Do I see the talent?

Yes.

Yes.

Do I see a scorers shot?

Maybe????

Remember, he might be 6-7 years removed from his draft class, but only 25, and he’s played 120 NHL games at about 10 minutes a night 

Kreider doesn’t have a scorer’s shot either.

If Gallant wanted Chytil to watch Zibanejad and mold his game after Zib, then he should be telling Gauthier to look at Kreider.

• Keeps it 100 2

21 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Kreider doesn’t have a scorer’s shot either.

If Gallant wanted Chytil to watch Zibanejad and mold his game after Zib, then he should be telling Gauthier to look at Kreider.

You’re right. He doesn’t. Probably part of the reason he was never above 30 prior to last year. 

But Kreider has developed a scorers hands around the net. 

Kreider is a guy as you said that Gauthier could model himself after.

3 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

Do I see the talent?

Yes.

Yes.

Do I see a scorers shot?

Maybe????

Look at the bright sight ,he has a lot of hockey left in him

5 hours ago, The Dude said:

I swear I watch different games. That's all he does. And he does it consistently. More so than any player on the team. Who else cuts to the net on this team? Why aren't his linemates going there with him to mop up on what is likely going to be a rebound? Crash the net! Everyone! Good things happen when you go to the net... So, why is only one guy doing it? 

Yes, he does that… but consistently? Come on, that’s a joke. He disappears for months at a time because he has one, and only one play.

yes, I agree that there’s more there. He was a guy I mentioned acquiring before they got him. But he doesn’t do those things he’s best at, consistently enough, to make up for the rest of the game of hockey, in which he’s a no show 

8 minutes ago, josh said:

Yes, he does that… but consistently? Come on, that’s a joke. He disappears for months at a time because he has one, and only one play.

yes, I agree that there’s more there. He was a guy I mentioned acquiring before they got him. But he doesn’t do those things he’s best at, consistently enough, to make up for the rest of the game of hockey, in which he’s a no show 

Months or games? You're exaggerating quite a bit here. Check out his game log. If he's not getting shots (which generally come from the same area), he's making up for it in hits.  He never really disappears. I'd imagine his corsi and fancy stats are pretty good too. 

22 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Months or games? You're exaggerating quite a bit here. Check out his game log. If he's not getting shots (which generally come from the same area), he's making up for it in hits.  He never really disappears. I'd imagine his corsi and fancy stats are pretty good too. 

yeah, sorry, we obviously can’t have an honest discussion

25 minutes ago, The Dude said:

His fancy stats are all over the place, but they aren't very good. Low CF% of 45... Insanely high PDO of 105. Not enough of a sample size.

However his career fancy stats are not great. 

50 minutes ago, Pete said:

His fancy stats are all over the place, but they aren't very good. Low CF% of 45... Insanely high PDO of 105. Not enough of a sample size.

However his career fancy stats are not great. 

Wow. I thought they'd be better.  You never really see his line pinned in their own zone. Quite the opposite. But I'd guess the numbers really aren't favoring him due to semi low icetimes. Typically when he's on the ice, the Rangers possess the puck more. But I guess they are being outshot (blocks and all) more than I care to notice. 

Honest mistake.  Gauthier glasses I guess. 

4 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Wow. I thought they'd be better.  You never really see his line pinned in their own zone. Quite the opposite. But I'd guess the numbers really aren't favoring him due to semi low icetimes. Typically when he's on the ice, the Rangers possess the puck more. But I guess they are being outshot (blocks and all) more than I care to notice. 

Advanced stats aren’t everything. Gauthier’s are basically the same as Goodrow’s and Schneider’s. I personally think all 3 affect the game in a positive way more than a negative way, regardless of the advanced stats.

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Blais.  Better fancy stats, more shots/60, twice the hits.

1 hour ago, josh said:

yeah, sorry, we obviously can’t have an honest discussion

Well, yeah. You're still not over Hunt. 

Like I said. Look at his game log. He's literally putting up points every 3-5 games. And throwing the body (only 3 games of his 23, he had a zero for hits) while taking a lot of shots. All on garbage icetime 

Months? Days. You can't get on the scoresheet every 3-5 games and disappear for months. 

14 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I just think it's not enough of a sample size, you don't often see such a low CF with such a high PDO.

Basically it's just too hard to make a determination.

@Drew a Penalty maybe can help. 

5 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Advanced stats aren’t everything. Gauthier’s are basically the same as Goodrow’s and Schneider’s. I personally think all 3 affect the game in a positive way more than a negative way, regardless of the advanced stats.

Yeah, but I thought I'd have them to back me. I was wrong.  I should have checked before opening my mouth.

I'm really loving the 3 names you brought up lately though and I agree that they seem to have a positive effect when out there. More than negative. 

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Well, yeah. You're still not over Hunt. 

Like I said. Look at his game log. He's literally putting up points every 3-5 games. And throwing the body (only 3 games of his 23, he had a zero for hits) while taking a lot of shots. All on garbage icetime 

Months? Days. You can't get on the scoresheet every 3-5 games and disappear for months. 

Gamelog says 1 assist and 3 shots in 9 games before last night.

8 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Blais.  Better fancy stats, more shots/60, twice the hits.

Totally.  How many goals does Blais have again? Do you remember any of Blais' hits? 

Zero.

Me neither.

Zero impact. 

Edited by The Dude

3 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Gamelog says 1 assist and 3 shots in 9 games before last night.

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Totally.  How many goals does Blais have again? Do you remember any of Blais' hits? 

Zero.

Me neither.

Zero impact. 

Guys you're arguing over the 12th and 13th forward. 

This conversation is slated for August and September, not December and January. 

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

Guys you're arguing over the 12th and 13th forward. 

This conversation is slated for August and September, not December and January. 

It's a Gauthier thread. What should we be talking about here? LOL, I get it.

I myself think more of this player, than just being thev12th/13th forward.