• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Julien Gauthier Redemption Tour?

Phil

3 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

Cause my autocorrect capitalized the F???

Ironically it does the same with the F in Lafreniere  

Noooo I would be the last to make fun of something like that unless it's Keith because I'm the worst offender. I thought it was kinda funny we were bringing up Lafleur comparing his early struggles with Laf when Lafleur was drafted 51 years ago. 

• Cheers 2

On 12/24/2022 at 10:12 PM, Drew a Penalty said:

It's a combination of both. CF% (Goals + Shots + Missed Shots + Blocked Shots),  FF% (Goals + Shots + Missed Shots), and SF% (Goals + Shots) all account for shooting attempts against without making note of quality. HDCF% (High Danger Chances), MDCF% (Mid Danger Chances), and LDCF% (Low Danger Chances) account for quality of chances. 

As mentioned before, Gauthier, regardless of linemates, had a 44.87 HDCF%, 42.86 MDCF%, 45.21 LDCF%. That means he's been outchanced on shots of any quality for all 5v5 minutes he's played. I didn't break down the MDCF% and LDCF% for the different line combinations, just HDCF%, but I'll do those now that I've got a moment.

Blais-Carpenter-Gauthier

56:58 TOI, (7 for/12 against) 36.84 HDCF%, (18 for/23 against) 43.90 MDCF%,  (21 for/19 against) 52.50 LDCF%

Blais-Brodzinski-Gauthier

29:19 TOI, (4 for/3 against) 57.14 HDCF%, (5 for/10 against) 33.33 MDCF%, (11 for/11 against) 50.0 LDCF%

Vesey-Goodrow-Gauthier

32:13 TOI, (8 for/8 against) 50.0 HDCF%, (8 for/6 against) 57.4 MDCF%, (6 for/14 against) 30.0 LDCF%

Blais-Goodrow-Gauthier

25:34 TOI, (5 for/4 against) 55.56 HDCF%, (8 for/7 against), (6 for/10 against) 37.50 LDCF%

Brodzinski-Goodrow-Gauthier

5:31 TOI, (2 for/0 against) 100.0 HDCF%, (2 for/2 against) 50.0 MDCF%, (2 for/0 against) 100.0 LDCF%

Vesey-Goodrow-Gauthier and Blais-Goodrow-Gauthier support your theory of giving up mostly low danger chances while getting more high and medium danger chances than the opposition. But you can see they're not decisively in their favor either, considering they only have at most 2 more chances than the opposition. It's kind of a neutral impact, really.

Blais-Carpenter-Gauthier and Blais-Brodzinksi-Gauthier don't, however, support that. But you can definitely say that there's a shift towards higher quality chances without Carpenter.

Unless taken in the High Danger Zone, what you've first described is a shot attempt. You'd measure that in either Corsi (Shots + Missed Shots + Blocked Shots) or Fenwick (Goals + Shots + Missed Shots). In order for a shot attempt to be considered a scoring chance it needs to meet certain criteria.

War-on-Ice defines scoring chances as

The zones look like the following:

image.png

Rebounds and rush shots are weighed more heavily as described here:

http://blog.war-on-ice.com/new-defining-scoring-chances/index.html

OK. It makes sense to me now.  I don't believe it (lol), but that's what the stat people say. Guess I watch with Gauthier glasses on. 

I'll pipe down a bit on talking him up. Those numbers aren't very good.  It's not what I'm seeing when he's out there, but it is what it is. 

He's probably a scratch next game anyway. 

On 12/24/2022 at 5:03 PM, Keirik said:

I don't care how many of exactly the same goals he has right now as Laf. He's not Laf and the franchise values laf as part of their future more than Gauthier. What gets me in a curfuffle is that you acknowledge Alf likely gets a healthy pay raise this coming ofaeason but want Gauthier taking his minutes? Huh? Cant go both ways on that one.  A

You also csnt ignore how one players pedigree alone pits him above Gaut and did nearly score 20 goals a year before. You don't just ignore all of that. 

Back on subject.

Maybe you should care that Lafreniere has the same amount of goals as a part time 4th liner. It's a contract year. He should be talked about as being locked up because he's doing so well. Instead he's being talked about as needing a change of scenery or just not being as advertised.

The fact that you don't expect more from him is worrisome. You can talk about his pedigree all you want. He's along for the ride so far this season. 

Why not compare him to the 4th liner? He's not producing enough to really warrant being a staple for the future. Just like Gauthier.. Do the Rangers lock up a guy who can't produce when given tons of chances?

The guy has legit had many opportunities to play with every top player on the team. But he has 5 goals. His numbers from last year have no bearing on what the player is today. He didn't even look good last year, but wound up potting 19 goals. He looks worse this year. 5. 5. 5! 

I say he's going to want a big raise on his next deal and I've given reason why. That 1OA  carries weight and its a weight that favors him. He's been mishandled here. Yet not terribly. He's had a pretty easy role to play with favorable match ups,  yet he still isn't showing any kind of dominance.  Ever. But on any other team he'd be plugged in on a 1st line and be given the keys. Maybe he'd have a different outcome if that were his path. That will always be in question and it will be a part of that 1OA weight. It almost guarantees he gets 3+ mill. He could get 4-5 on an offer sheet. 

I honestly don't believe Lafrenière is happy here. Why would he be? His "pedigree " has been dragged through the mud and he can't force his way up the lineup. Why would he want to stay here? This summer,  I think we  see this relationship between he and the Rangers fall apart. He's going to want more than a 2.5 bridge deal. As a former 1OA. He has that leverage.  I don't blame him. IMO, he has a leg to stand on. He's just not going to stand on it here. Which is why I'm FOR trading him by the deadline. It would be best for both the player and the team.

This uncomfortable "you're a huge part of this team's future, but we aren't really going to use you, until we have our backs against the wall and our stars begin to decline in a couple more years..... sorry..." way of using him, certainly will have its repercussions.  No 1OA is going to want to be a part of that. 

5 goals man. 

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

Back on subject.

Maybe you should care that Lafreniere has the same amount of goals as a part time 4th liner. It's a contract year. He should be talked about as being locked up because he's doing so well. Instead he's being talked about as needing a change of scenery or just not being as advertised.

The fact that you don't expect more from him is worrisome. You can talk about his pedigree all you want. He's along for the ride so far this season. 

Why not compare him to the 4th liner? He's not producing enough to really warrant being a staple for the future. Just like Gauthier.. Do the Rangers lock up a guy who can't produce when given tons of chances?

The guy has legit had many opportunities to play with every top player on the team. But he has 5 goals. His numbers from last year have no bearing on what the player is today. He didn't even look good last year, but wound up potting 19 goals. He looks worse this year. 5. 5. 5! 

I say he's going to want a big raise on his next deal and I've given reason why. That 1OA  carries weight and its a weight that favors him. He's been mishandled here. Yet not terribly. He's had a pretty easy role to play with favorable match ups,  yet he still isn't showing any kind of dominance.  Ever. But on any other team he'd be plugged in on a 1st line and be given the keys. Maybe he'd have a different outcome if that were his path. That will always be in question and it will be a part of that 1OA weight. It almost guarantees he gets 3+ mill. He could get 4-5 on an offer sheet. 

I honestly don't believe Lafrenière is happy here. Why would he be? His "pedigree " has been dragged through the mud and he can't force his way up the lineup. Why would he want to stay here? This summer,  I think we  see this relationship between he and the Rangers fall apart. He's going to want more than a 2.5 bridge deal. As a former 1OA. He has that leverage.  I don't blame him. IMO, he has a leg to stand on. He's just not going to stand on it here. Which is why I'm FOR trading him by the deadline. It would be best for both the player and the team.

This uncomfortable "you're a huge part of this team's future, but we aren't really going to use you, until we have our backs against the wall and our stars begin to decline in a couple more years..... sorry..." way of using him, certainly will have its repercussions.  No 1OA is going to want to be a part of that. 

5 goals man. 

I’m not sure what there is to discuss with you’re “back on subject.” It’s just a giant post of assumptions and contradictions.  

Alf turned 21 two months ago. Gauthier tuned 25 two months ago, ALF and Gauthier have nothing to do with each other.  

12 hours ago, The Dude said:

Back on subject.

5 goals man. 

Im cool with keeping Laf at a decent cost to us. To me he has potential to be Callahan or Goodrow esque as in a good spark plug with a little offensive flair. I'd pay him no more than Kakko, that's for sure, on a bridge deal (2.1 mil / 2 years) maybe 2.5. He has shown that he has some tools. Laf just turned 21 and could blossom this year or next. I'd rather keep him till 25 like Gauthier is now and see if he is Gauthier or is he more.

However,  I'm also okay with sending him somewhere else in the right deal to complete this roster for a decent run for a few years. Whether that be Kane with an extension looming upon the end of the season or another top tier right wing; I think using that 1 OA pedigree is more useful to us than him at this point while trying to complete this roster.

Back to Gauthier; I like the guy, but he isn't more than we see on the ice. Might get lucky a few times per year, might pot a couple goals, skates hard and is fast with no real hands to compliment his skating. I like him on the fourth line for sure but I don't expect him to be anything more than we've seen this far.