• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS #12] Rangers vs Boston Bruins — Carb Loading

Drew a Penalty

3 minutes ago, josh said:

What were the hit stats after the fights? They seemed to back right off after that, or shortly after 

I think that had less to do specifically with the fight itself and more to do with rolling 4 d for 5 minutes. 

Whole team looks very gassed right now.

Welcome back once again, folks!!  Seems like we just weren't on the same level in that 3rd period.  Losing Lindgren didn't exactly help matters but we were in it until the 3rd.

It was good measuring stick to see where we stand...Needless to say we have some work to do!!

....And here are the Top 10 nominees for Ozzy’s Quote of the GDT:

4 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Torts should pay for his Hairclub for Men treatment.

3 hours ago, Keirik said:

Someone tell that masshole in the stands to sit the fuck down and stop putting his arm up like he’s a referee 

3 hours ago, Pete said:

This cunt Pastrnak is smiling. 

What are the Rangers gonna do about it? 

3 hours ago, Valriera said:

It will cost him one hooker I’m sure he cares 

3 hours ago, siddious said:

🤣🤣🤣

im 4 bourbons in and typing as I watch the game give me a break. Oh! And fat fingers. 

2 hours ago, CCCP said:

I'm gonna start drinking. 

2 hours ago, josh said:

Keirik typo - drink! 

2 hours ago, Keirik said:

I really have to get one of those smart phones. Mine isn't all that bright. 

2 hours ago, Dem said:

Clear that crease you lazy bastard

2 hours ago, NY Chief said:

I hear Charlie “Coyle” and immediately think “distributor, points, plugs…”

…and the winning quote for tonight’s GDT goes to @Keirik, who's "smart" phone may not be the brightest, but even a dumb phone knows that Trouba can't shit the bed, and let Coyle get position on him to score that goal!  

...and that first goal???  Why don't we ever get one like that???  Oh that's right...we don't shoot!

Never mind!

Edited by Ozzy
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Karan said:

Best team in the league beats an average team. Shouldn't come to anyone as a surprise. Rangers actually did well to stay competitive that long into the game. They'll get there but definitely not on the Bruins' level at the moment. 

There's very little that's different, from a lineup perspective, than last season. In fact, we've upgraded our 2C to "another level".

Kinda reinforces that last year was pretty much all Igor and a couple of guys having career years. The team, as a full roster, isn't that good when everyone is playing to what the back of their hockey card says they are because same as last year... No depth. 

20 hours ago, Pete said:

Biggest test of the season so far. 

And they failed. Miserably. 

47 minutes ago, Pete said:

There's very little that's different, from a lineup perspective, than last season. In fact, we've upgraded our 2C to "another level".

Kinda reinforces that last year was pretty much all Igor and a couple of guys having career years. The team, as a full roster, isn't that good when everyone is playing to what the back of their hockey card says they are because same as last year... No depth. 

Even, if your gloomy assessment of the Rangers is spot on...

In all fairness, so did nine other teams ("failed miserably") against the best team in the league early in the season.

Edited by Cr00zng

7 minutes ago, Cr00zng said:

Even, if your gloomy assessment of the Rangers is spot on...

In all fairness, so did nine other teams ("failed miserably") against the best team in the league early in the season.

Okay, what does that have to do with anything? I don't root for those 9 other teams LOL. 

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Hard to really have an honest conversation about depth from last night’s game when missing two 3rd liners who are expected to contribute a fair share, and then Lindgren early in game to injury. Of course the bottom 6 will look like trash. Of course a mini-pairing of Jones/Fox isn’t a good look against one of the strongest forechecking teams in the league.

A few of the problems we have with depth are we were (are) relying on Kravtsov to give us something, anything. But he literally cannot figure out a way to stay on the ice long enough to do so. And Sammy Blais. I feel bad targeting him considering he is coming off a major injury. He looked good prior to his injury last season. He was able to create plays. He was physical. The scoring wasn’t there, but he was at least noticeable. Now? I mean, I forget he’s even in the lineup most nights. He’s brought absolutely nothing to the table this season outside of the 1st game where I think adrenaline took over and he was physical. Factor in missing Chytil, and that’s 3 rather large pieces we are currently without: Chytil due to injury, Kravtsov due to injuries that just won’t stop, and Blais due to being beyond bland.

1 minute ago, rmc51 said:

Hard to really have an honest conversation about depth from last night’s game when missing two 3rd liners who are expected to contribute a fair share, and then Lindgren early in game to injury. Of course the bottom 6 will look like trash. Of course a mini-pairing of Jones/Fox isn’t a good look against one of the strongest forechecking teams in the league.

It's not that hard though.

When losing your 20 point 3C who has a history of injury (hence, they should be used to playing without him) throws your team into disarray...That's a lack of depth in an of itself. 

This isn't about last night, these are issues that go back to last year and were covered by Kreider and Igor who have both returned to normalcy (so much for "counting on .940 Igor" as a plan, eh?).

Look, they traded for Copp and Vatrano because they had no depth and then had to move both players into the top 6 because RW was a black hole. Not much has changed, but I will admit Lafreniere and Kakko look much better than last year. They just need the boxcar stats to start matching the fancy ones.

2 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

A few of the problems we have with depth are we were (are) relying on Kravtsov to give us something, anything. But he literally cannot figure out a way to stay on the ice long enough to do so. And Sammy Blais. I feel bad targeting him considering he is coming off a major injury. He looked good prior to his injury last season. He was able to create plays. He was physical. The scoring wasn’t there, but he was at least noticeable. Now? I mean, I forget he’s even in the lineup most nights. He’s brought absolutely nothing to the table this season outside of the 1st game where I think adrenaline took over and he was physical. Factor in missing Chytil, and that’s 3 rather large pieces we are currently without: Chytil due to injury, Kravtsov due to injuries that just won’t stop, and Blais due to being beyond bland.

It takes almost a full season to come back from Blais' kind of injury. I wouldn't expect him to round into form until Jan/Feb, earliest. I wouldn't cut bait on him yet.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

It's not that hard though.

When losing your 20 point 3C who has a history of injury (hence, they should be used to playing without him) throws your team into disarray...That's a lack of depth in an of itself. 

This isn't about last night, these are issues that go back to last year and were covered by Kreider and Igor who have both returned to normalcy (so much for "counting on .940 Igor" as a plan, eh?).

Look, they traded for Copp and Vatrano because they had no depth and then had to move both players into the top 6 because RW was a black hole. Not much has changed, but I will admit Lafreniere and Kakko look much better than last year. They just need the boxcar stats to start matching the fancy ones.

You’re right. It’s not hard. It’s just disingenuous to push last year’s narrative when all the fancy stats you used to support your points have been reversed this year outside of two or three games (last night included).

They have been on the other side of dominating way more often than not this year, but that’s not as edgy as pushing last year’s narrative after a game against a team on a torrid start to the year. Your data is outdated.

• Keeps it 100 2

I don't want to overreact to the worst game we played all season against the best team we played all season, but I think the depth issue is rearing its head pretty quickly. Our 4th line can't be out there getting worked over when we're down a goal or two. Our third line has to be better. Our 3rd D pairing has to be better.

I'm not asking for worldbeating. I'm asking for competent enough to not get caved in or break when the big guns need to cool off. I'm willing to give Blais a bit of a pass here - Pete is right that the injury he's recovering from usually takes half a season of games to get back to form - but Reaves, Carpenter, Vesey, Gauthier, and to an extent Goodrow are just not cutting it right now.

2 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

You’re right. It’s not hard. It’s just disingenuous to push last year’s narrative when all the fancy stats you used to support your points have been reversed this year outside of two or three games (last night included).

They have been on the other side of dominating way more often than not this year, but that’s not as edgy as pushing last year’s narrative after a game against a team on a torrid start to the year. Your data is outdated.

Please stop. "It's not as edgy..." Give me a break. It wasn't one problem last year. It was 3-4 issues. Production from only a handful of guys, that was only coming on the PP, giving up too many HDCA and generally being porous defensively.

There are things they have not fixed. They are better at generating chances 5v5 but still not getting scoring from more than a few guys. They are 23rd in the league in HDCA and xGA.

When do they excuses stop? Boston was having a torrid start, who cares? Why aren't the Rangers having a torrid start? Because they're missing 20 points from Chytil and Kravtsov can't stay healthy? If those guys are the keys to success, they're more fucked than I thought.

53 minutes ago, Pete said:

Please stop. "It's not as edgy..." Give me a break. It wasn't one problem last year. It was 3-4 issues. Production from only a handful of guys, that was only coming on the PP, giving up too many HDCA and generally being porous defensively.

There are things they have not fixed. They are better at generating chances 5v5 but still not getting scoring from more than a few guys. They are 23rd in the league in HDCA and xGA.

When do they excuses stop? Boston was having a torrid start, who cares? Why aren't the Rangers having a torrid start? Because they're missing 20 points from Chytil and Kravtsov can't stay healthy? If those guys are the keys to success, they're more fucked than I thought.

HDCA and xGA is only half the picture from last year. The major issue on top of that was that they weren’t generating as many chances as their opponent. Hence all of the xGF%, Corsi, HDCF% were trash last year. They were bottom 8-12 in each of those last year and we heard about it relentlessly. Their conversion of their fewer scoring chances was very high though so they were winning games. This year it’s the reverse. They are top 5-9 in all of those categories yet bottom 10 in actual GF%.

They should be easily outscoring their opponents in most games regardless of chances given up. They haven’t converted, and just like you harped on last year about the underlying data catching up to them and they weren’t as good as the record, it’s the same here except the underlying data says it should be resulting in a lot more goals and wins right now. Their record should be better, and their play warrants it. They’ll start converting at some point and outscoring teams rather than your presumed expectation that they should be outdefending them instead. That’s not how the team is built.

I said it in another thread somewhere, but they are the Florida Panthers/Edmonton Oilers with Igor in net. Excellent scoring chances that should be going in just haven’t. They have to stick to their game and it will start to show.

Edited by rmc51
  • Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1