• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS #13] Rangers vs Detroit Red Wings — Copp Revenge Game

Morphinity 2.0

And to think, I waited all day, and endured yet another Raiders failure to see my beloved blueshirts play a solid 20 minutes and sleep walk the rest of the way!!

Maybe it's me, but this team, and this season is starting to resemble the '92'-93 season in which the Rangers missed the playoffs entirely.

........either way, here are the Top 5 nominees for last night's “Ozzy Quote of the GDT”, sponsored by Wings and Things....Damn!!  Those things are good!!!

15 hours ago, siddious said:

Wow and I thought the rangers were bad at missing the net. Detroit has like 30 shots wide already.

14 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

Vesey looks like he is about to graduate high school. Baby Face Vesey.

14 hours ago, CBrowningPI said:

Have a burnt weenie for me!

13 hours ago, cupalife said:

Somebody making the league minimum needs to be the scapegoat

13 hours ago, jamsim1967 said:

Sorry, but they played the entire game like they hate working Sunday's

….and the winning quote for tonight’s GDT goes to @jamsim1967 Jamsim!!  A newbie finds the winner's circle!!!

Yeah boys, it may be time for me to start lowering my expectations with this crew.  That game last night, and especially the effort after the first period, is unfortunately starting to become the "norm" around these parts.

I felt bad for Halak...fucking guy gave us every chance to win, and we fucked it away...AGAIN!

SHESTY is almost lossless and Halak is winless. Rough road for Halak. He made some real key saves and then Miller decides to hug someone's stick in overtime. Bad penalty, worse PK coverage, and even worse loss. Always hoping they win even when the compete level isn't there. They couldn't do it this game. Lame.

Comes down to a lot of the same major issues this roster had when Quinn was here; no presence in front of the opposing net, and not much physicality vs. opposing forwards in front of their own net. If the PP gets a few goals and the goalie stands on his head, can still win most nights but if not, not good at all. NYR are not an especially tough night, as long as you stay out of the penalty box. 

At a loss why offensively this team thinks there's any point to cycling, spare the 4th line. They aren't built that way. Opposing defenses, who have seen it on tape,   are only too happy to watch them pass it around the perimeter until one pass goes bad. 

4 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Comes down to a lot of the same major issues this roster had when Quinn was here; no presence in front of the opposing net, and not much physicality vs. opposing forwards in front of their own net. If the PP gets a few goals and the goalie stands on his head, can still win most nights but if not, not good at all. NYR are not an especially tough night, as long as you stay out of the penalty box. 

At a loss why offensively this team thinks there's any point to cycling, spare the 4th line. They aren't built that way. Opposing defenses, who have seen it on tape,   are only too happy to watch them pass it around the perimeter until one pass goes bad. 

These problems stem from their top2 forwards. Mika and Panarin are perimeter players.  Casting our lot with them will only get us closer to 54 years again.  

I wish there was a way gallant could bench Kreider Zib Panarin Laf trochek Trouba and miller the next game because they all fucking suck.

for all his physical play Trouba has to be one of the worst defensemen in front of his own net. 

this team refuses to play any other way when the opposition starts clogging up the middle. Imagine how good Panarins numbers would be if he didn’t pass into the opposition 75% of the time. 

brutal effort 

Edited by siddious
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, siddious said:

I wish there was a way gallant could bench Kreider Zib Panarin Laf trochek Trouba and miller the next game because they all fucking suck.

for all his physical play Trouba has to be one of the worst defensemen in front of his own net. 

this team refuses to play any other way when the opposition starts clogging up the middle. Imagine how could Panarins numbers would be if he didn’t pass into the opposition 75% of the time. 

brutal effort 

I know Panarin gets a lot of flack for perimeter play and trying to pass the puck through the other team, but that said...You can only pass the puck to your teammate based on where they are. He can't hold onto it forever, no matter how good he is. The question now because why are his linemates always putting 2-3 defenders between themselves and Panarin?

He's not the guy playing 1 level down in beer league and all his bender teammates look to him to do all the work and set them up for back door tap ins. This is the NHL, getting open doesn't mean no one is near you, it means there's also a lane for the puck to get to you.

• Bullseye 1
  • Applause 1
  • Keeps it 100 2

1 hour ago, siddious said:

this team refuses to play any other way when the opposition starts clogging up the middle. Imagine how could Panarins numbers would be if he didn’t pass into the opposition 75% of the time. 

brutal effort 

Panarin's numbers are what they are because he finds seams no one else does and has the ability/talent to get the puck there. He fails plenty, but when he connects, you see the magic happen. If he's not working off the wall, passing into soft areas of the coverage, he's not going to be nearly as dynamic of a player that we have grown accustomed to.

29 minutes ago, Pete said:

I know Panarin gets a lot of flack for perimeter play and trying to pass the puck through the other team, but that said...You can only pass the puck to your teammate based on where they are. He can't hold onto it forever, no matter how good he is. The question now because why are his linemates always putting 2-3 defenders between themselves and Panarin?

He's not the guy playing 1 level down in beer league and all his bender teammates look to him to do all the work and set them up for back door tap ins. This is the NHL, getting open doesn't mean no one is near you, it means there's also a lane for the puck to get to you.

Wow you’re on fire today. Impressive too because it’s a Monday and also after a bad loss

• LMFAO 1

35 minutes ago, Pete said:

All fair points and I don’t disagree. I’m not even hating on Panarin as much as the other guys namely Zib and Kreider who have been brutal the start the year even if zibs numbers don’t look too bad. 

whatever the reason, it’s time to start different combinations. This team is not clicking at all. 

• Phil unpinned this topic

It's no hating on Panarin.  The problem is this team doesn't play the basic NHL game at all.  They don't cycle, forecheck, defend, play physical, etc.  All things that less skilled players can do, all they need is the will to do so.  That is what is infuriating.  Then you look at the top 2 lines and you know why.  The first line is focused around Mika the second around Panarin.  Neither want anything to do with forechecking or grinding out a goal.  It's all perimeter all the time.  It's not that there isn't room for some of those guys and for some of that game.  However the entire offense is predicated on that.  There are no second chance opportunities.  How about a nice rebound goal?  

@Petesometimes it's not about getting open but just going to the net and creating traffic and looking for a rebound.  Kind of hard to blame Panarin's line mates for not going there when he's never going to just throw a puck at the net and let them wack away.  It all has to be pretty and it is when it works.  When it doesn't it's ineffective and looks disinterested.  At worse it results in terrible turnovers that result in GA's.  

Bottom line is this team rolls out the majority of it's ice time and cap space to perimeter hockey.  It's a problem that didn't just come out of the blue.  Without making a drastic blockbuster trade to finally end the imbalance of this roster maybe try

Panarin Mika Kravtsov

Laf Chytil Kakko

Kreider Trocheck Gauthier

Blais Carpenter Goodrow

Let the ladies go first

5 hours ago, cupalife said:

It's no hating on Panarin.  The problem is this team doesn't play the basic NHL game at all.  They don't cycle, forecheck, defend, play physical, etc.  All things that less skilled players can do, all they need is the will to do so.  That is what is infuriating.  Then you look at the top 2 lines and you know why.  The first line is focused around Mika the second around Panarin.  Neither want anything to do with forechecking or grinding out a goal.  It's all perimeter all the time.  It's not that there isn't room for some of those guys and for some of that game.  However the entire offense is predicated on that.  There are no second chance opportunities.  How about a nice rebound goal?  

@Petesometimes it's not about getting open but just going to the net and creating traffic and looking for a rebound.  Kind of hard to blame Panarin's line mates for not going there when he's never going to just throw a puck at the net and let them wack away.  It all has to be pretty and it is when it works.  When it doesn't it's ineffective and looks disinterested.  At worse it results in terrible turnovers that result in GA's.  

Bottom line is this team rolls out the majority of it's ice time and cap space to perimeter hockey.  It's a problem that didn't just come out of the blue.  Without making a drastic blockbuster trade to finally end the imbalance of this roster maybe try

Panarin Mika Kravtsov

Laf Chytil Kakko

Kreider Trocheck Gauthier

Blais Carpenter Goodrow

Let the ladies go first

Panarin started the year as a forechecking machine and wasn't shying away from traffic. I don't know what's happened since, but I honestly think the top 6 linemates aren't good fits for their lines.

Kakko, really doesn't fit/mesh with Zibanejad and Kreider.  Hes playing really well,  but they don't click. Kakko slows down the play by controlling the puck more than either Zibanejad and Kreider are used to. It's like THEY want the puck on their sticks and don't care to adapt to the way Kakko plays.  That's fine. They are the vets who established their ways. So, change it up. Give them a bystander that takes a backseat and will be a guy that shoots and gets to the front of the net.  Like Vartano. Blais should be able to do that. I of course think Gauthier can..

Panarin and Trochek kinda butt heads. Another combination that doesn't seem to fit.  It should, because Trochek goes to the tough areas and loves to pull the trigger. Panarin should be threading passes to him all over the offensive zone. But it doesn't ever happen. Trochek keeps gaining the zone and doing his own thing. Is it a righty/righty problem? I'd think with the way Chytil plays now, maybe he fits better as Panarins center? Panarin-Chytil- Kravtsov would possibly work.  

Dropping Trochek to the 3rd line is crazy because of his salary, but if you are trying to find new combos and spread out the offense,  there are very little options.  Lafrenière-Trochek- Kakko sounds delightful and would demand more icetime, compared to the kid line and whatever variation Gallant has gone with so far this season.  Lafrenière gets a guy that he can thread his cross ice pass to the side of the net to a guy that traditionally likes to go there, yet hasn't been so far as a Ranger. Kakko could feed either of them as they both are capable of being open or in position below the hash marks. That or they can create room for him to dangle it to the net on his own. A pretty versatile line if you ask me.  A little bit of everything with similar mind set. 

4th line. Goodrow, Vesey and Blais/Gauthier. I think we have seen enough of Carpenter. Our PK is abysmal and that was supposed to be his sole purpose. He has zero effective role on this team.  He beings nothing. Seriously. I would rather have Hunt back.  

The kid line needs to be given another shot while the other 2 lines try to figure sht out with whomever gets plugged in.

In any case, ill say this - i will never buy that this team doesn't have the personnel to be very good, so if the season continues to go sour, gotta lay the blame on coaching.

On 11/6/2022 at 8:07 PM, The Dude said:

What's going on with Halaks hair?

spacer.png

No wonder he always looks upset.

Half the little shits at the rink have some version of this hair style. 

it’s funny watching all the grandmas and old moms asking “what is this? What happened to your hair?”