• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS #14] Rangers vs. New York Islanders — Breaded or Fried?

High and Wide

1 minute ago, RichieNextel305 said:

It’s not quite the dark years Rangers against Brodeur and the Devils. But we have been pretty horrible against the Islanders going all the way back to like 2015-2016.

Yeah that was the time when the Rangers were on the decline a bit, Lundqvist getting older, etc. and they were really good, consecutive Conference Final appearances. The last couple of years has just been really poor execution.

We saw this team go through a bunch of ups and downs last season so its premature to right em off...but...even if they do turn it around, its likely theyd just slump at some later time...or in the playoffs. So what other cards are there to play if not Trotz.

1 minute ago, Jdog99 said:

We saw this team go through a bunch of ups and downs last season so its premature to right em off...but...even if they do turn it around, its likely theyd just slump at some later time...or in the playoffs. So what other cards are there to play if not Trotz.

Them getting off to slow starts, even in great years, is nothing new. The big thing for me is just how listless they look most of the time and the lazy, dumb hockey they've been playing.

• Bullseye 1

1 minute ago, Sharpshooter said:

Them getting off to slow starts, even in great years, is nothing new. The big thing for me is just how listless they look most of the time and the lazy, dumb hockey they've been playing.

Word that jumps out is DUMB. There doesn't look like there's a plan. Which is how you give up a goal 14 seconds into the 3rd. 

2 minutes ago, -ERIK- said:

I'm disgusted too but it's not like they're full of unlikable players, they aren't playing well now.

Can't be like well I never liked Fox or Miller anyways .

That’s debatable, especially when the losses are piling up. What players had done in the past have not much bearing on the present, especially when they collectively look like crap. Just like they did in the third period tonight….

16 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Lindgren went down in the playoffs, and team wide, our defense went to shit while he was out. Not saying it’s a direct correlation, but it’s happening again.

Just get back to basics.

First off, put the Kid Line back together. At this point, why the fuck not? Trying to fit either of them in on either of those 2 lines hasn’t been great. They played their best hockey together. Give that a whirl.

I understand that leaves the Top 6 a bit naked. But you have 4 veteran players who should be able to figure it out a bit more than most of them have thus far. Maybe give Panarin another look with Kravtsov and give Vesey a look with 93&20?

I don’t know at this point.

I've said it fairly recently and I'll say it again. Ryan Lindgren is more important and valuable to this team than K'Andre Miller. When we talk about trading Lindgren to save a maximum of $2M in cap, so we can hand Miller a bag, it's mind boggling. Miller is bad in his own zone. He just doesn't know where to be on the ice. Just watch him on that game winner tonight.

• The Chyt! 1
  • Keeps it 100 2

24 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

I've said it fairly recently and I'll say it again. Ryan Lindgren is more important and valuable to this team than K'Andre Miller. When we talk about trading Lindgren to save a maximum of $2M in cap, so we can hand Miller a bag, it's mind boggling. Miller is bad in his own zone. He just doesn't know where to be on the ice. Just watch him on that game winner tonight.

Miller isnt physical, and for a guy who's 6'6", very disappointing. And he treats the puck like a live grenade in his own zone. So many times, he gains the puck and instead of steadying himself and making a sensible pass, he blindly throws it up the boards. Every team that plays NYR sees it and knows it's coming. He has to be better. He can make that great end to end rush but so much of the rest of his game isn't very good.

It’s really a game that was fairly even punctuated by some bad luck on both ends and obviously horrible officiating, again.

look the team played great and just hasn’t figured this whole shesty is human thing out. I’m not sure they ever will, but they played a strong game against another very good team. This is not the Detroit game. Frustrating to lose but gotta keep doing the right things and the points will come 

1 hour ago, rmc51 said:

Pretty funny because the Rangers dominated the even strength advanced stats again (unlike last year), but when it comes to what matters they are on the losing side again (also unlike last year). So, so strange. It's the various mental lapses, half-assed plays like Trouba's clearing attempt on that last NYI goal as a prime example, that are just absolute killers.

It's still only 14 games in, but tell you what...if the next 14 go the same way as the first 14 in terms of not doing some pretty basic things like protecting a 2 goal lead in the 3rd, Gallant's seat is going to get pretty warm with the expectations this team had going into the season.

This. Last year we won so many games that we shouldn’t have won and this year we are on the other end of those. 

honestly I make the coaching change with another five if these. This team is not getting blown out in games and is losing games they should be winning. Why? They have no defensive structure and that’s on the coach. He should be good enough to see that going on and fix it, not put forth this bullshit attitude. 

there have been maybe two games that I put on the players during this stretch which is Detroit and San Jose. Tonight they competed and played he’d against another good team and lost a close one. You hope your coach figures the difference of one goal out for you and it probably involves a 3-2 game tonight rather than a 4-3 game

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

We knew it was coming!  You could've turned off the TV after the goal 14 seconds into the 3rd...We fucking knew it!

After watching this franchise for over 50 years, it just seems hard-coded into the fabric.  

Ahh Fuck it!!  ....here are the Top Dirty Dozen nominees for Ozzy’s Quote of the GDT:

6 hours ago, Pete said:

Do you mean face down? 

4 hours ago, Pete said:

I wish they would have told us sooner that the key to Chytil's super powers was a tinted visor. 

3 hours ago, Bugg said:

"That was a pass" is always a bad idea 

3 hours ago, Karan said:

Still longer than Keirik, on a sober night.

2 hours ago, 4EverRangerFrank said:

Optimum sucks the biggest, hairiest, smelliest balls!

2 hours ago, rmc51 said:

@Ozzywants to know where he can find this chick named Optimum

2 hours ago, Bugg said:

Not sure what's worse;the missed call or Miller and Trouba AGAIN standing around like 2 grandmas waiting for the bus. 

2 hours ago, Rangers said:

First time in my life I no longer want to watch hockey.

2 hours ago, Flynn said:

I remember being so excited for the start of the season. Not sure why. These fucks are going through the motions. 

2 hours ago, 4EverRangerFrank said:

Isles come back. 
Us?

NYR with their backs cummed! This team bends over in the third. 

2 hours ago, Arty said:

The broadcast out-shined the Rangers effort

1 hour ago, siddious said:

Sooo… this Bedard kid is supposed to be pretty good, huh?! 

…and the winning quote for tonight’s GDT goes to the Big Guy, @4EverRangerFrank!! 

Absolutely infuriating to watch, and I'm glad to see the MSG feed coincided with the Rangers outcome...They both sucked dirty, rabid platypus balls!!

This shit keeps up, and in 6 weeks we're gonna be looking at lottery picks, and salary dumps for the deadline.

Edited by Ozzy
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Bugg said:

Drury's trade options are really restrained by the contracts and the cap. 

This is why so many coaches in the NHL have short tenures these days.

Barry Trotz may be hanging out in Winnipeg, but he's tanned, rested and ready.

Not really surprised by anything this season, other than Igor being so "bad" at 2.41, .916 which IIRC isn't far off of league average. I may be wrong there. 

We knew regression was coming as last year's trends that carried the team weren't sustainable. 

Story remains the same, even if some fancy stats moved, you can easily use other fancy stats to prove out the same key issues:

1. Team can only score on the PP. Their east west style doesn't work 5v5
  2. Team is utter chaos when they don't have the puck
  3. Their depth isn't change of pace, it's more of the same just not as good as top 6.
  4. Kids not scoring enough, there are no moral victories anymore. 

This is the team they're stuck with. Too many big contracts with trade protection to move in-season. 

They need a real heavy handed coach. GG ain't it for this team. 

• Bullseye 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

Yeah Turk's post game comments really annoyed me for some reason. Usually I don't mind his pragmatic approach. But he kept blaming the last 2 goals solely on missed calls. Kept insisting the team played well throughout. Just seemed like a coach that didn't want to accept any blame or admit areas of concern.

Even if you take aside those 2 missed calls, it's an obvious growing theme this season. And even though I'm not in the locker room, it makes me wonder if his mentality is permeating onto the players too. Where they're actually starting to think they're doing just fine and don't need to be pissed at their performance. They're at a point where they should absolutely be critical of their game because if you don't find fault within your weaknesses, then how are you supposed to iron them out? Just being okay with being average isn't going to get this team where it needs to be.

Hopefully it's just a rut and the team looks much more competitive down the stretch, but man do they have a ways to go. 

• Bullseye 1

10 hours ago, rmc51 said:

Let's be clear, there is nobody on the Rangers defense who knows what to do inside their own zone when they don't have the puck. This isn't a player issue, it's a systemic issue. I love Lindgren but he has the luxury of playing with Fox while Miller is stuck with the defensive nightmare that is their captain.

That said, it's not about who's more valuable or important today, it's about who's more valuable at the time Lindgren is due a new contract. You can trade Miller for picks and prospects, which I think would be stupid, but if you pay Lindgren you're still going to have trouble paying others. At this point you could probably bridge Miller for $4M rather than paying Lindgren upwards of 5M.

It's not always who you'd rather have, it's about how the puzzle pieces fit together. 

• Bullseye 1

@Ozzy - I was so pissed last night and that line just came out like a vomit rush. After being up 3-1, that "14 seconds" goal was a kick to the gut and balls and ass all at the same time.

Changes? Coach is the easiest to replace, right? It's only 1 guy and hopefully gets the team to take notice. Here with NYR though, I'm thinking Drury needs to do the unthinkable and move a big piece - one of our untradable guys like Kreider. He won his Powerball last season with  a fun and much needed goal-breakout. Now, this season? Back to the Casper outfit and Halloween is over! Drury should pull this trigger while at the same time putting Gallant in a non-medallion cab.*

Trotz wouldn't accept this BS NYR play night in and night out. C'mon Drury, swallow that shot of bourbon and pick up the phone.

*After we win 5 of 6 and start gelling into last year's team again, I'll be posting "love these guys - so much fun to watch!" LOL It's so hard being a NYR fan. We should all get a voucher for counseling or micro-dosing psychedelics. Possibly both.

• Keeps it 100 1

12 minutes ago, 4EverRangerFrank said:

@Ozzy - I was so pissed last night and that line just came out like a vomit rush. After being up 3-1, that "14 seconds" goal was a kick to the gut and balls and ass all at the same time.

Changes? Coach is the easiest to replace, right? It's only 1 guy and hopefully gets the team to take notice. Here with NYR though, I'm thinking Drury needs to do the unthinkable and move a big piece - one of our untradable guys like Kreider. He won his Powerball last season with  a fun and much needed goal-breakout. Now, this season? Back to the Casper outfit and Halloween is over! Drury should pull this trigger while at the same time putting Gallant in a non-medallion cab.*

Trotz wouldn't accept this BS NYR play night in and night out. C'mon Drury, swallow that shot of bourbon and pick up the phone.

*After we win 5 of 6 and start gelling into last year's team again, I'll be posting "love these guys - so much fun to watch!" LOL It's so hard being a NYR fan. We should all get a voucher for counseling or micro-dosing psychedelics. Possibly both.

I feel your pain, Big Guy!  Believe me!!  I was so aggravated watching that 3rd period last night....just pissed me off to no end.  The fucking funny part was once they scored that goal 14 seconds into the 3rd, I absolutely knew we were fucked!  How many times have we seen this shit???

It's getting old....

I will say this...I didn't think this was gonna be the case this year, but @Pete called this shit from even before day one, and @Keirik, said the same thing;  These fucking guys got it done with smoke and mirrors last year.  And this year the league has caught on to the whole "stay outta the box" and beat the Rangers at 5 on 5 thing.

This whole "we played a solid 40 minutes" shit ain't working for me, and I feel like every game is a fucking repeat.  Hopefully this shit will change, but I just don't see how we just don't keep reverting back to this.  This is who we are this season....and it's making me wanna hurl my cookies on a nightly basis.

This is what I looked forward to????

By the way, if they're gonna get rid of Gallant, there's only one guy out there I think I'd take: 

Quenneville....gimme him!!

I’m on the west coast so I don’t get to share in the misery at the same time as all of you as I watch the game later, but last night gave me flashbacks of two seasons ago where we’d go into the 3rd period with the lead and you’d just pray they could onto it. 

I just don’t understand how you come out at the start of the 3rd with a two goal lead and give up a goal 14 seconds in.  That is on leadership to have the team ready to come out for the start of the period, whether player leadership or coaching leadership.  The fact that it was Mika’s line makes it worse, as it wasn’t some youthful mistake.

As for the blaming the refs, what a bunch of horseshit.  Yeah, the ref missed the trip on Kakko, but the ref wasn’t responsible for the team coming out flat to start the third and the passive “hopefully run out the clock” mentality.

The big names need to step up but I’d love to see Trivigno called up to play on the 4th line.  Carpenter is just a warm body out there doing nothing.  We need some energy on the fourth line.  I made my case in the off-season for keeping Tyler Motte and god I wish we had him now.  With a 2 goal lead in the third you need to tilt the ice with a relentless forecheck and suffocate the opponent in their own end.   

• Applause 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

13 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Lindgren went down in the playoffs, and team wide, our defense went to shit while he was out. Not saying it’s a direct correlation, but it’s happening again.

Just get back to basics.

First off, put the Kid Line back together. At this point, why the fuck not? Trying to fit either of them in on either of those 2 lines hasn’t been great. They played their best hockey together. Give that a whirl.

I understand that leaves the Top 6 a bit naked. But you have 4 veteran players who should be able to figure it out a bit more than most of them have thus far. Maybe give Panarin another look with Kravtsov and give Vesey a look with 93&20?

I don’t know at this point.

Yes - put the kid line back together. Never mind the top 6 plug ins...thats on those vets to figure shit out.