• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2022 World Cup

Cash or Czech

22 hours ago, fletch said:

Credit to Germany for finding the equalizer.  Work left to do but an opportunity to advance.

And on the other side of things after an emotional win against Germany, Japan likely screwed themselves out of the tournament unless they can somehow beat Spain.

Tomorrows game for the US is a pretty big game for the future of the sport in America. Need to get the formation correct. Talk of Reyn being in, possible go away from a false 9 etc. we shall see. I also personally want Josh Sergeant to get a good role in this game. 

4 hours ago, Keirik said:

Tomorrows game for the US is a pretty big game for the future of the sport in America. Need to get the formation correct. Talk of Reyn being in, possible go away from a false 9 etc. we shall see. I also personally want Josh Sergeant to get a good role in this game. 

Pretty big game for both squads, how their team is viewed in the present.  Also, as you mention, it will reflect how each team is viewed by each country in the future looking back, as well as the future trajectory of each program. I don't like that Iran can advance with a win or draw for USA chances, but that advantage was earned by the first 2 games in the group.  Ultimately, I believe that we will win.  I believe that we will win.  I believe that we will win.

• Believe 1

Really great group stage performance from the us, but lack of finishing quality has me worried. That said, they have to be amongst the top in terms of chances conceded. Looked exceptionally strong in midfield and defense against all three teams. Maybe they can make a run and win a bunch of 1-0 games. Yet to concede a goal outside of a penalty. 

Right now Poland and Mexico would be tied in the standings and the "fair-play" tiebreaker would decide, as in Poland would advance because they got less yellow cards.....

....someone please score one more goal....

edit:

Saudis score, so Mexico is out a more normal way

Edited by H-Dreamer

6 hours ago, H-Dreamer said:

Right now Poland and Mexico would be tied in the standings and the "fair-play" tiebreaker would decide, as in Poland would advance because they got less yellow cards.....

....someone please score one more goal....

edit:

Saudis score, so Mexico is out a more normal way

Yeah, the fair-play tiebreaker is terrible.  FIFA doesn't want to go to a random draw until they have to.  But pretending all referees are giving the same amount of cards in each game... I mean there's a lot of discretion in whether to give a card for a foul.   I think I would rather be eliminated by a random draw than be eliminated because my team got more cards than the other team.

For the record, it is not a 'simple system'

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/fifa-world-cup/world-cup-group-tiebreakers-2022-explaining-what-happens-if-teams-are-tied-on-points-goal-differential-and-fair-play/ar-AA14xPSK#:~:text=The sixth tiebreaker%2C disciplinary points (also known as,comes out ahead if this tiebreaker is used%3A

Disciplinary points

The sixth tiebreaker, disciplinary points (also known as 'fair play points') are a simple point system FIFA assigns to yellow and red cards to determine whether a team is playing in a safe and sporting manner.

The team that has accumulated the fewest of these over the course of the group stage comes out ahead if this tiebreaker is used:

PointsCard

1Yellow card

3Second yellow card/Indirect red card

4Straight red card

5Yellow card and straight red card

Note: A player who earns two yellow cards in a match and is therefore sent off would be docked just three total points for the second yellow card scenario, and not four points total to include the earlier yellow card.

Edited by fletch

https://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-world-cup/story/4820693/why-brazil-argentina-and-more-will-or-wont-win-world-cup

'Editor's Note: As teams officially qualify for the round of 16, we'll add them to the list, so check back Thursday night and Friday night for information and updates on the teams from Groups E, F, G and H -- though we have included Brazil (Group G) and Portugal (Group H) as their places in the last-16 are already secured -- that punch their tickets to the knockouts.'

'...United States (second place, Group B)

Title odds, per FiveThirtyEight: 1%
Round of 16 opponent: Netherlands

Why they will win it all: The midfield is relentless. Wales couldn't move the ball through the midfield, so they started booting long balls to a tall forward. Jude Bellingham had 10 touches in the first 13 minutes but only 40 thereafter as England found passing lanes through the midfield hard to come by. (Mason Mount had only 45 total touches in 90 minutes.) Iran only created 60 total touches in the attacking third until Weston McKennie went off the field in the 65th minute. (They created 64 in the final 25 minutes.)

Relentless running and pressing from the trio of McKennie (24), Yunus Musah (20) and captain Tyler Adams (23) and fullbacks Sergino Dest (22) and Antonee Robinson (25) have made advancing the ball into dangerous areas almost impossible and allowed the US to control large portions of games -- granted, without generating a large number of quality scoring opportunities -- against not only Wales and Iran but also England. And if they were able to control Bellingham and Mount, they can control most of the midfields in this competition.

Why they won't: Matches are 90 minutes long. One problem with relentless running and pressing: It wears you out, especially when some of your most important players came into the World Cup with recent injuries and fitness concerns. McKennie is only averaging 69.3 minutes per match, Dest 78.0. And as these players begin to tire, the Americans' effectiveness vanishes.

xG, first 60 min: USA 2.19, opponents 0.91 (actual score: US 2-0)

xG, last 30 min: opponents 2.23, USA 0.35 (actual score: opponent 1-0)

Fatigue has indeed limited certain key players, and manager Gregg Berhalter's substitution decisions (both timing and personnel) have been, to put it diplomatically, shaky. When things move into game management mode, the US quickly fray. The fatigue isn't going to suddenly get better as the tournament progresses....'