• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Could Ryan Reaves Be a Victim of Rangers' Cap Crunch?

Phil

2 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

Exactly.

Its similar in fashion to putting on a bulletproof vest after you’ve been shot in the belly. 

Or you’re staring off a 200 foot cliff with a river at the bottom, worrying if you’re going to drown.

Its the fall that’s gonna kill you. 

So if you’ve been shot before, you don’t need to wear a bulletproof vest anymore? 

I think we're getting to the point where he's not even a deterrent anymore, hence the Bruins doing what they did versus what the Rangers failed to do.

He had an nice career, he was a nice story for some people last year, but it's time to move on. 

Edited by Pete

He becomes redundant when Othmann gets here.....😉

Obviously kidding but I'm pretty happy junior likes to rough it up.

Reavo will stick around for his 50 games this year then he will be a memory a year from now. Not a bad weapon to have come playoff time.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

He becomes redundant when Othmann gets here.....😉

Obviously kidding but I'm pretty happy junior likes to rough it up.

Reavo will stick around for his 50 games this year then he will be a memory a year from now. Not a bad weapon to have come playoff time.

I did snort a little when I read "weapon"

The problem is reaves not his role. I’m happy to pay his salary for someone to do the job he’s supposed to do. We need it, that’s important to the game of hockey. But Reaves isn’t doing that job so I hope we can send him packing and find someone who will. Thinking that he’s a deterrent just because we need one is a folly.

Dropping Reaves now would open up a little over $3M at the deadline, which is roughly what Andrew Copp cost last season.  Take your pick: all of the great things that Reaves might do between now and the deadline, or the things an Andrew Copp might do after the deadline.

Mind you, even if we were to get a lesser player than Copp at the deadline, we would probably need to unload Reaves at that point to do it, so we probably aren't going to have the great DJ for the stretch and playoffs, anyway.

9 hours ago, Arty said:

If Reaves goes, get ready for skilled players getting abused

Shesterkin was run a bunch last season, Reaves no where to be found.  He had more goals (5) than fighting majors (3) last season, and i'm sure the skilled players got abused more than 3 times last season.    

Lindgren got a blind side hit, Reaves no where to be found.  

Reaves is washed up, saw it late last season where he would be full of adrenaline for about 2 shifts, then he can't keep up the rest of the game.  

• Cheers 1

Yup, I think it's time, fellas.  I'm Reaves' biggest proponent, and have been since even before we got him here.  But I think he's getting to a point where he's not able to keep up with the game.  I think this is most likely going to be his last season as a Rangers player.

I would really like to see him stick around to be a coach.  I think he'd be great as an assistant coach.

• Cheers 1

I think it’s time to toss Sammy Blais’ name in the ring too as far as potential roster casualties too. Just nothing there whatsoever that warrants a spot on an NHL roster right now.

I feel bad about the injury and the work he put in to come back. But prior to the injury, he had played 14 games with no goals and 4 assists. This season? No goals and 3 assists.

0 goals, 7 assists in 28 games in a Ranger uniform.

Edited by RichieNextel305
  • Keeps it 100 1

12 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I think it’s time to toss Sammy Blais’ name in the ring too as far as potential roster casualties too. Just nothing there whatsoever that warrants a spot on an NHL roster right now.

I feel bad about the injury and the work he put in to come back. But prior to the injury, he had played 14 games with no goals and 4 assists. This season? No goals and 3 assists.

0 goals, 7 assists in 28 games in a Ranger uniform.

He's not an offensive player, though, so I wouldn't take points into consideration. Generally he just really hasn't been that great, and the team just has too many players that don't give you much anyway. That is the bigger issue. He and definitely Reaves won't be back next season anyway.

3 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

He's not an offensive player, though, so I wouldn't take points into consideration. Generally he just really hasn't been that great, and the team just has too many players that don't give you much anyway. That is the bigger issue. He and definitely Reaves won't be back next season anyway.

I get he’s not offensive. But no goals, 3 assists? What exactly is here to do? He literally has no role. Literally one of the more useless players I can recall in recent memory IMO.