• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Could Ryan Reaves Be a Victim of Rangers' Cap Crunch?

Phil

9 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I think it’s time to toss Sammy Blais’ name in the ring too as far as potential roster casualties too. Just nothing there whatsoever that warrants a spot on an NHL roster right now.

I feel bad about the injury and the work he put in to come back. But prior to the injury, he had played 14 games with no goals and 4 assists. This season? No goals and 3 assists.

0 goals, 7 assists in 28 games in a Ranger uniform.

If it were anyone else we'd be all over the guy. He hasn't gotten back to where he was before his injury and I don't see much there this season.  From what I remember of his few games last season, he was a power forward who hit everything in sight and had the ability to carry/dangle the puck. 

Besides a blocked shot the other night, the guy hasn't really impressed at all.

It's pretty fucked up when you can consider Gauthier as the better player over 3 other forwards (Reaves, Carpenter, Blais), yet he's still managing to get the least amount of icetime.  

Blais should have been put on a conditioning assignment at the start of the season. It would have gotten him the work he needs and he'd hopefully be confident AF, when he returned.  They could have gauged Gauthier, Hunt and Vesey more accurately than they did and perhaps they all look a bit better than they currently do. 

Perhaps not.  

6 minutes ago, The Dude said:

If it were anyone else we'd be all over the guy. He hasn't gotten back to where he was before his injury and I don't see much there this season.  From what I remember of his few games last season, he was a power forward who hit everything in sight and had the ability to carry/dangle the puck. 

Besides a blocked shot the other night, the guy hasn't really impressed at all.

It's pretty fucked up when you can consider Gauthier as the better player over 3 other forwards (Reaves, Carpenter, Blais), yet he's still managing to get the least amount of icetime.  

Blais should have been put on a conditioning assignment at the start of the season. It would have gotten him the work he needs and he'd hopefully be confident AF, when he returned.  They could have gauged Gauthier, Hunt and Vesey more accurately than they did and perhaps they all look a bit better than they currently do. 

Perhaps not.  

Did you just advocate for Hunt?  

7 hours ago, CCCP said:

Did you just advocate for Hunt?  

I have been. I can't stand Carpenter and I'm not happy about Vesey being an everyday player,  much less an everyday top 6 player. As useless as Hunt was, they won with him here. Abandoning him for garbage like Carpenter and Vesey was kind of shitty IMO.

I'd be fine if Hunt was replaced with Gauthier as a top 6 experiment, because the guy just never GOT the chance and IMO has been deserving of it for a while now. Hes part of this group that had chemistry last season.  I'd even be ok with a kid like Trivigno, or Rydahl get an opportunity.  Instead we see Vesey crawl out from under a rock and is automatically leapfroging everyone. It's shitty and I wonder if such moves echo in the locker room.  

Vesey has looked okay of late, but he's a stop gap measure, especially on the top 6, and I'd rather get on with it and play guys who might actually have a future there.  Given that Gauthier is one of the few guys who has had energy of late, I'd like to try a line with CK and Goat on the flanks for a speed line.  It couldn't hurt for a few games and might even charge up CK.

• Like 1

2. So if head coach Gerard Gallant maintained his line combinations from Thursday’s 3-2 overtime defeat in Seattle to Saturday’s victory over San Jose, there is no reason to expect a change in LA on Tuesday.

Which means Vitali Kravtsov will sit in favor of Ryan Carpenter again, which is bizarre. It also means that Ryan Reaves will sit for the seventh time in eight games, which could indicate that a roster move is coming relating to No. 75.

https://nypost.com/2022/11/20/igor-shesterkins-return-to-form-is-reason-for-rangers-optimism/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site buttons&utm_campaign=site buttons

1 minute ago, Phil said:

Not happening. Gauthier pretty much has to get on the scoresheet every single game from here out to warrant a spot (in typical Gallant fashion). Though I believe he no longer has to clear waivers to be sent down. Gauthier is getting moved, while Carpenter should be sent to Hartford.  Making Goodrow the full time 4C, where he belongs. 

“Well he’s on the list because he’s been a healthy scratch for Gerard Gallant and the New York Rangers. Four out of the last five games, that certainly grabbed the attention of some teams around the league that are looking for a bit of size, a bit of bite.

Also, Reaves, an extremely well liked guy in just about every locker room that he’s been in, that $1.75 million cap hit, as much as the Rangers like the idea of having him in their lineup at varying points, and clearly someone like Gallant believes in what Reaves brings to the team, in this case, I think the Rangers would just also be fully excited to potentially move on from that type of cap hit where they have $1.75 million in space moving forward.

For someone who’s been on the outside looking in, I think this is one of those trades given how tight everyone is to the cap, where it might just be for future considerations or something like that. But I think the Rangers are open to the idea, and I think there’s a number of teams out there that have been sort of looking at it saying ‘Hmm, Ryan Reaves might be an interesting guy’ given where they’re at with their teams and lacking some of the elements that he provides.”

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/ice-breakers-trade-looming-for-florida-panthers-as-anthony-duclair-gets-closer-to-returning/

You deal Reaves, you may as well deal Goodrow too. These guys were to be the backbone and Oomph that was much needed. They had an impact last season. The Rangers had a bit of swagger most of the season. That's not there anymore. 

They need spark. Energy. Guts. Lindgren can't carry all that weight.

With all this (deserved) dismay of Lafrenière around here, I'm predicting he starts traveling down this road. Though I don't think he's cut out for it, I think we see him start playing more physical for a few games. Maybe even dropping the gloves or taking some stupid roughing penalties. It's going to be awkward. IMO, it's not really in his nature, but he's going to try to deliver what's needed. Something Blais should be providing. Not sure why he is playing every day. 

Lemieux will show them how it's done. - edit- doh. He's on IR. 

Edited by The Dude

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

You deal Reaves, you may as well deal Goodrow too. These guys were to be the backbone and Oomph that was much needed. They had an impact last season. The Rangers had a bit of swagger most of the season. That's not there anymore. 

With all this (deserved) dismay of Lafrenière around here, I'm predicting he starts traveling down this road. Though I don't think he's cut out for it, I think we see him start playing more physical for a few games. Maybe even dropping the gloves or taking some stupid roughing penalties. It's going to be awkward. IMO, it's not really in his nature, but he's going to try to deliver what's needed. Something Blais should be providing. Not sure why he is playing every day. 

Blais

9 hours ago, The Dude said:

In no world are Goodrow and Reaves the same player, or even the same role. There's no reason to deal Goodrow simply because you trade Reaves.

• Bullseye 1
  • VINNY! 1

10 minutes ago, Phil said:

In no world are Goodrow and Reaves the same player, or even the same role. There's no reason to deal Goodrow simply because you trade Reaves.

Goodrow’s cap hit is too high and his contract too long.

But… he’s a hugely important and valuable player on this team. 

If and when you need to move him, perhaps in year 5 of his deal, it’s a very movable contract. This isn’t something you worry about now. You worry about this when his play declines and you can’t have him on your roster at that price point.

But that is not now. 

6 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Goodrow’s cap hit is too high and his contract too long.

But… he’s a hugely important and valuable player on this team. 

If and when you need to move him, perhaps in year 5 of his deal, it’s a very movable contract. This isn’t something you worry about now. You worry about this when his play declines and you can’t have him on your roster at that price point.

But that is not now. 

He's making 3.6, and he's giving you 35 to 40 points (based on what he did last year and his pace right now)... Can play up and down your lineup in any situation... I don't really see how he's overpaid anymore. 

What I will say is his advanced stats (CF, mainly) are brutal at 5v5, 5v5 close, and 5v5 tied. He hasn't really lived up to his reputation based on those numbers. I suspect a player like him is never going to be an analytics darling but may always pass the eyeball test. 

• Keeps it 100 2

He's probably overpaid by around $250K a year. But that's not even my point. Goodrow is an everyday player and a staple in your playoffs lineup. Reaves isn't. I love Reaves to death, but he's not an NHL player for much longer. The writing is on the wall.

It's just wild to me to draw the conclusion that trading a non-NHL caliber enforcer means you now need to unilaterally disarm your entire team. 

35 minutes ago, Pete said:

He's making 3.6, and he's giving you 35 to 40 points (based on what he did last year and his pace right now)... Can play up and down your lineup in any situation... I don't really see how he's overpaid anymore. 

What I will say is his advanced stats (CF, mainly) are brutal at 5v5, 5v5 close, and 5v5 tied. He hasn't really lived up to his reputation based on those numbers. I suspect a player like him is never going to be an analytics darling but may always pass the eyeball test. 

Without getting into semantics, I said hit was too high and contract is too long. Not that he was overpaid.

What I mean specifically Pete, is simply that his real value came more from previously when he was giving you what he gives you at a much lower price point. 

That was all

i don’t think he’s overpaid. Not at all. And for all the reasons you mentioned. 

He’s extremely important to this team. They absolutely need him. 

13 minutes ago, Phil said:

He's probably overpaid by around $250K a year. But that's not even my point. Goodrow is an everyday player and a staple in your playoffs lineup. Reaves isn't. I love Reaves to death, but he's not an NHL player for much longer. The writing is on the wall.

It's just wild to me to draw the conclusion that trading a non-NHL caliber enforcer means you now need to unilaterally disarm your entire team. 

The enforcer role is dying. And while I still feel he’s a feared heavyweight, there have been several instances where that hasn’t actually manifested into what it’s supposed to. 

And again. For what it’s worth….

Including postseason, 99 games as a Ranger.

Averaging UNDER 10 minutes per night.

Hes a -19.

Bad. 

1 minute ago, RangersIn7 said:

Without getting into semantics, I said hit was too high and contract is too long. Not that he was overpaid.

What I mean specifically Pete, is simply that his real value came more from previously when he was giving you what he gives you at a much lower price point. 

That was all

i don’t think he’s overpaid. Not at all. And for all the reasons you mentioned. 

He’s extremely important to this team. They absolutely need him. 

I guess I just don't see the difference between the comment "his cap is is too high" and "overpaid".

I don't comment much in term anymore. They all got a few more years than they should have... Kreider, Trouba, Goodrow, Trochek. It's the cost of doing business. 

On 11/18/2022 at 10:03 AM, CCCP said:

I liked the how the fourth line looked in the past couple of games. They forchecked well, scored, and had other chances.  Blais forchecks well and keeps the other team’s defensemen on their toes. They are definitely aware when he’s out there 

Blais is a good player. He is just getting his legs back cause he didn’t play for a year and he’s only getting 10 and a half per night.

Be patient 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

I guess I just don't see the difference between the comment "his cap is is too high" and "overpaid".

I don't comment much in term anymore. They all got a few more years than they should have... Kreider, Trouba, Goodrow, Trochek. It's the cost of doing business. 

I meant in terms of value. Players like him, you get the best value when you’re paying them less vs paying them when they’re a known commodity that teams want and you place the premium 

Its the old cost vs worth debate. 
Either way, he’s an asset.

But what does the asset cost you vs what the asset is worth?

He costs you $3.6 million annually against the cap and $21.6 total over 6 years.

Hes probably worth about 2.5-3 million annually and roughly $18 million over 6 years. In actuality 

Its misleading and convoluted in a way. 

But yes… it’s totally the cost of doing business. Especially in NY.

People miss that point.

In many instances, you have to duke guys more to get them to come here. Cause of cost of living being the highest in North America and 2nd highest in the world behind London. And the 3 tiered tax system.

Other places do have the 3 tiers of City, State, and Federal taxes. But NY carries the highest burden there. Especially if you’re talking about people who make tons of money like these guys do. 

Edited by RangersIn7
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, CCCP said:

Imagine goodrow getting $5M?  That would’ve been a disaster contract. At $3.5M it’s tolerable. What isn’t tolerable is Trouba’s $8M 

This, I agree with. If you're looking at this roster for overpayment candidates, it's Trouba by miles. He makes, easily, $2M more than he should. Maybe more.

23 minutes ago, Phil said:

This, I agree with. If you're looking at this roster for overpayment candidates, it's Trouba by miles. He makes, easily, $2M more than he should. Maybe more.

Lindgren is an equivalent player, and maybe even better. Whatever he gets on his next contract is what Trouba should be making.