• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS #18] Rangers at Seattle Kraken — Sleep Endurance Test # 1

Drew a Penalty

Just now, mbob said:

Starting to feel like ground hog day 

unfortunately this statement is spot on, you pretty much are what you are soon in the season and we aren’t good. Damn cap makes it hard to shake things up with a move too. 

Yeah and with limited cap space going in, they were depending on Lafreniere, Kakko and Cythil to really step up. It's happened to a degree, but the results simply are not there. Add to that a porous defense, led by a dreadful Trouba and a more human Shesterkin, and here we are.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sharpshooter said:

Yeah and with limited cap space going in, they were depending on Lafreniere, Kakko and Cythil to really step up. It's happened to a degree, but the results simply are not there. Add to that a porous defense, led by a dreadful Trouba and a more human Shesterkin, and here we are.

Not one of those guys got a sniff in OT. 

I think the most annoying thing about them is the lack of urgency. They float along a good chunk of games. There just is no push. The shot totals are there. But they’ve been there all year.

There is so much elite talent here. So much. But, I just don’t know. I don’t know how this is going to shake out here.

I know the space is tight, but we’re approaching the point where Drury may need to get involved and do something to rattle the room up a bit. Because you can’t go much longer slushing along alternating wins, losses and OTL’s.

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1

2 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I think the most annoying thing about them is the lack of urgency. They float along a good chunk of games. There just is no push. The shot totals are there. But they’ve been there all year.

There is so much elite talent here. So much. But, I just don’t know. I don’t know how this is going to shake out here.

I know the space is tight, but we’re approaching the point where Drury may need to get involved and do something to rattle the room up a bit. Because you can’t go much longer slushing along alternating wins, losses and OTL’s.

I feel like this team is just a hodge podge right now. They're the vision of two different General Managers and there's no rhyme or reason. It's been a huge drop off from this year to the next.

Edited by Sharpshooter

I think it’s absolutely absurd that Kakko and Lafreniere got no sniffs in OT, as others have said.

BUT…..

I have been defending them from the jump, both of them. And while the eye test is certainly positive (especially in Kakko’s case), this is a results driven business. We walked into this season knowing we needed more production from them and we just haven’t gotten it. Playing in the Top-6, and then merging together on the Kid Line, the goals just aren’t there. I’m not insinuating white flag waving here, but for us to have any chance, that’s going to have to change. And fast.

• VINNY! 1
  • Keeps it 100 3

Just now, RichieNextel305 said:

I think it’s absolutely absurd that Kakko and Lafreniere got no sniffs in OT, as others have said.

BUT…..

I have been defending them from the jump, both of them. And while the eye test is certainly positive (especially in Kakko’s case), this is a results driven business. We walked into this season knowing we needed more production from them and we just haven’t gotten it. Playing in the Top-6, and then merging together on the Kid Line, the goals just aren’t there. I’m not insinuating white flag waving here, but for us to have any chance, that’s going to have to change. And fast.

Yeah, honestly Vesey has been quite good in his role. I don't blame coaching necessarily for Lafreniere or Chytil getting time. Lafreniere hasn't done a whole lot and Chytil had a bad turnover that led to a goal against.

1 minute ago, Sharpshooter said:

Yeah, honestly Vesey has been quite good in his role. I don't blame coaching necessarily for Lafreniere or Chytil getting time. Lafreniere hasn't done a whole lot and Chytil had a bad turnover that led to a goal against.

I do, when your team is not scoring 5 on 5, its coaches job to break down the game and teach no matter how much talent you have. 

By the way, I’m just about over Sammy Blais. There just is nothing he does even remotely close to good. Blame the injury, don’t blame the injury. I don’t care. But we’re talking about Reaves bringing nothing to the lineup, and then we dress this slog every single night? Personally, I believe he should see some time in street clothes too. Maybe it’s just me? But I don’t really see a place for him on this roster. And regardless of where this season sails off to, I would be pretty shocked if he was still on the boat come crunch time. I don’t see him really lasting here. 

Just now, RichieNextel305 said:

By the way, I’m just about over Sammy Blais. There just is nothing he does even remotely close to good. Blame the injury, don’t blame the injury. I don’t care. But we’re talking about Reaves bringing nothing to the lineup, and then we dress this slog every single night? Personally, I believe he should see some time in street clothes too. Maybe it’s just me? But I don’t really see a place for him on this roster. And regardless of where this season sails off to, I would be pretty shocked if he was still on the boat come crunch time. I don’t see him really lasting here. 

What a disastrous trade.

Each of the top two lines is playing with a plug on it now. The third line hasn't lived up to the hype based on the 5-6 game Chytil heater stretch in last year's playoffs points wise. Kakko and Laf both had shots on the top lines and didn't stick/produce. What's his name had 3 decent shifts and 4 injuries. The D isn't good, the backup is 0-fer. 

Like @RichieNextel305

said it's gotten late early.  What we have here isn't good enough. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Least of your problems, I’m more concerned with Laff, Kakka, Chytil not taking the next step. 

That’s 3 first round picks

Just now, Rangers said:

Least of your problems, I’m more concerned with Laff, Kakka, Chytil not taking the next step. 

That’s 3 first round picks

I already covered those 3. They’re issues.

The effort and chances are there. But at some point, it has to stop being “oooh so close” and more of pucks in the back of the net. Enough is enough.

Let’s call it what it is: walking into the year, we were relying on Lafreniere and Kakko stepping up, along with guys like Kravtsov and Blais go make up for losing depth guys like Vatrano and Copp.

Lafreniere, Kakko, Kravtsov and Blais have combined for 5 goals. It’s mid-November. 5. Goals.

And 2 of them have none.

Something needs to be fixed.

12 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Is Trouba growing one too? They all look terrible.

They're god awful but it's for a good cause every year. At least they're getting that right. 

ABOUT MOVEMBER:

Movember is the leading charity changing the face of men's health on a global scale, focusing on mental health and suicide prevention, prostate cancer and testicular cancer. The charity raises funds to deliver innovative, breakthrough research and support programs that enable men to live happier, healthier and longer lives. Committed to disrupting the status quo, millions have joined the movement, helping fund over 1,250 projects around the world. In addition to tackling key health issues faced by men, Movember is working to encourage men to stay healthy in all areas of their life, with a focus on men staying socially connected and becoming more open to discussing their health and significant moments in their lives. The charity's vision is to have an everlasting impact on the face of men's health. To donate or learn more, please visit Movember.com.

1 minute ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Let’s call it what it is: walking into the year, we were relying on Lafreniere and Kakko stepping up, along with guys like Kravtsov and Blais go make up for losing depth guys like Vatrano and Copp.

Lafreniere, Kakko, Kravtsov and Blais have combined for 5 goals. It’s mid-November. 5. Goals.

And 2 of them have none.

Something needs to be fixed.

It's a dual problem. Poor coaching and poor roster construction. I know those guys you mentioned have been disappointing, but some of the moves Drury has made make you scratch your head. Is this a year where you just have to wait for contracts to be over and make some deals? This is an average team at its best right now.