• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

How Can/Will the Rangers Keep Chytil?

Phil

3 minutes ago, josh said:

That’s still a lot for Chytil, and probably low on Lafreniere, who puts up the same number of points, with a few more last season. 

I just gave Laf a slightly higher bridge deal than Kakko or Chytil. Two years, $4.5mil, put up or shut up. If Chytil puts up 50 points and goes to arbitration, he'll probably get more than that cap hit.

5 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

I just gave Laf a slightly higher bridge deal than Kakko or Chytil. Two years, $4.5mil, put up or shut up. If Chytil puts up 50 points and goes to arbitration, he'll probably get more than that cap hit.

Roslovic and Kotkaniemi both got less than that, 4 (x2) & 4.8 (long term).

still a long way to go for Chytil, this season. 

Long way to go for all of them this year, but with LaF, Chytil, Miller and Lindgren all due substantial raises, it's easy to see scenarios where they can't keep them all.  Miller would bring the biggest return, probably similar to the Stepan-Raanta deal (a seventh overall and a prospect, D'Angelo).  It would have  to be picks and a prospect.

The possible dumps among the established players just aren't there.  Forget about CK and VT and their no-trades.  Goodrow would be tough.  The teams not his no-trade list are going to have cap issues of their own, and he's not going to be that attractive to a developing team with cap space, and those teams are likely on the no-trade list.  Moreover, you have to replace his spot on the roster, and an $800K lug would be a be downgrade.

1 hour ago, josh said:

He’ll still be cost controlled, if they decide to keep him. He still hasn’t broken 23 points in a season. 

miller isn’t helping himself, either. Not much from Lafreniere, either.

but to lose Reaves, Goodrow, and probably Blais puts them back to where they were 2 years ago. 

I disagree because that's what Drury has been drafting.

Laf isn't a teenager anymore.  He's not afraid to mix it up.  Neither is Schneider.  Othmann and Cuylle aren't guys that get pushed around.  Sykora is probably at least 2 years away, but sounds like he'll be an absolute horror to play against like the evil version of Jesper Fast.

Plus they could add a Brett Ritchie type FA for under a mil to the 4th line.

Well...if you asked me after last seasons playoffs, I would've said Chytill should be given the a shot a the #2C rather than signing a free agent.

As this point, you have to prioritize him over Laf, Kakk...Miller too if he doesn't take a big step by end of season.

Then you may have 3 really good centerman you can plug in 'average' pieces around.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jdog99 said:

Well...if you asked me after last seasons playoffs, I would've said Chytill should be given the a shot a the #2C rather than signing a free agent.

As this point, you have to prioritize him over Laf, Kakk...Miller too if he doesn't take a big step by end of season.

Then you may have 3 really good centerman you can plug in 'average' pieces around.

Calling Chytil really good in any other context than has been recently is mischaracterized. Maybe he is showing up or maybe this will be an anomaly. Regardless, we have spent a lot of time developing him and if we are truly looking to grow the team than you have to keep him. 1st 2nd and 3rd lines are dictated on playing time. If you have 2 or 3 equal lines then you have a possibility to play them all semi equally depending on the hot hands for the game or stretch of games.

Othmann replaces Laf. More upside and equal tenacity possibly. We need entry level contracts and bargains  for the 4 wingers that aren't Panarin and Kreider. Who will they be? Idk.

I can't see them moving Yukon.

I think they need to unload bigger contracts that make a dent in the cap;  Guys like Kreider, and Trouba fit that bill, but I severely doubt they'll go that route.

I know they have NMC's which makes it difficult, but we have so much depth at LW on the way, that Kreider is very well expendable.  We could also get something of value back for him, since he's still under contract for a bit.

Guys like Yukon, Kakko, and to an extent K'Andre shouldn't really dent the cap too much on their bridge deals.

Edited by Ozzy

I'll go on a limb here - it's going to be Trouba moved. To Anaheim, with the Dallas 1st as the bribe. It'll be a bad trade, but that blows open the doors on the cap space we need to keep Miller, Chytil, and Laf (all undeniably more important pieces), and restructure our bottom 4 D.  They have almost no defense signed past this season (Fowler, Drysdale, Vaakanainen), they're looking to go homegrown, and even if they Brinks-truck both Terry and Zegras, they don't have an important contract coming due until 2025-26.

We're a better team with Chytil and, say, Carson Soucy and/or Erik Johnson than we are without Chytil and plus Trouba.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LindG1000 said:

I'll go on a limb here - it's going to be Trouba moved. To Anaheim, with the Dallas 1st as the bribe. It'll be a bad trade, but that blows open the doors on the cap space we need to keep Miller, Chytil, and Laf (all undeniably more important pieces), and restructure our bottom 4 D.  They have almost no defense signed past this season (Fowler, Drysdale, Vaakanainen), they're looking to go homegrown, and even if they Brinks-truck both Terry and Zegras, they don't have an important contract coming due until 2025-26.

We're a better team with Chytil and, say, Carson Soucy and/or Erik Johnson than we are without Chytil and plus Trouba.

When we fire Gallant and hire Trotz Trouba will be a stud. 

• JIMMY! 1

6 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

I'll go on a limb here - it's going to be Trouba moved. To Anaheim, with the Dallas 1st as the bribe.

Trouba's no trade lasts through next season.  His wife just started her residency in a hospital in New York.  Why would he waive his NTC to leave his wife and go to the worst team in the league?  (Spare us snarky comments about leaving his wife).

17 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

Trouba's no trade lasts through next season.  His wife just started her residency in a hospital in New York.  Why would he waive his NTC to leave his wife and go to the worst team in the league?  (Spare us snarky comments about leaving his wife).

Yea, it isn't happening. We can hope but it just isn't.

16 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

Panarin doesnt have a wife and a residency issues.  Find a way to get rid of Panarin, all else will fall into place.  

LWs:

Kreider

Laf

Oth

Cuylle

is fine by me.   look to get rid of Trouba the following season.  gotta get rid of these albatross contracts if this team is going to win anything. 

• Applause 1

2 minutes ago, CCCP said:

Panarin doesnt have a wife and a residency issues.  Find a way to get rid of Panarin, all else will fall into place.  

LWs:

Kreider

Laf

Oth

Cuylle

is fine by me.   look to get rid of Trouba the following season.  gotta get rid of these albatross contracts if this team is going to win anything. 

Panarin has a NMC for the entirety of his contract. Dude is going no where but Broadway. Kreider is gone after next year. We just need to get through this next off season.

Ok so it’s Reaves, Hunt, Blais, Goodrow, Trouba and maybe Kreider on the way out. 

again, guys, we did that. It didn’t work. That’s why they added Reaves, Blais and Goodrow in lieu of Buchnevich. 

Lafreniere isn’t muscle. Othmann isn’t MVP Corey Perry any time soon in the NHL. Cuylle is finally picking up his game in Hartford but can’t shoulder the responsibilities of the organizational overhaul of 2 offseasons ago. 

47 minutes ago, CCCP said:

LWs:

Kreider

Laf

Oth

Cuylle

You are calling points per game leader in rangers history an albatross? Nicely done. In order to succeed in playoff you first gotta get there. Who will do that? Oth? Cuylle? Have anybody seen these guys playing at nhl level? Or it’s just a fantasy? Kinda the same caliber of as if laf somehow turns into mcdavid and kak into malkin.

6 hours ago, Pete said:

The smartest and ballsiest move would be to talk to Kreider and Trouba about moving on.

But they won't.

And I'm pretty sure they will need to retain 50% on any deal for Trouba. He just gets worse and worse every game. 

Teams might want the Rangers to retain 75% on any deal for Trouba. Yeah, he's been that bad.

Have no idea what they were thinking ... 7 years/8 mil?

1 hour ago, Art20c said:

You are calling points per game leader in rangers history an albatross? Nicely done. In order to succeed in playoff you first gotta get there. Who will do that? Oth? Cuylle? Have anybody seen these guys playing at nhl level? Or it’s just a fantasy? Kinda the same caliber of as if laf somehow turns into mcdavid and kak into malkin.

Yep as if the hype train hasn't come off the tracks enough in recent years.

44 minutes ago, jamsim1967 said:

Teams might want the Rangers to retain 75% on any deal for Trouba. Yeah, he's been that bad.

Have no idea what they were thinking ... 7 years/8 mil?

its funny, because if you read any non-rangers publication discussing Trouba, they call him a “unicorn”. 

7 hours ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

5m?? That's what Strome got this summer. 0.6m less than Trocheck got.

His career high is 23 points. Yes he had a great playoff, yes he's had a really good season so far and is on pace to crush his career high, but 5m for that body of work while he's still a RFA sounds way too expensive to me.

While also not bridging him. 5m x 5 years? That's what Strome just got.

I'm thinking he tops out at 3.5, but I think the years can be had in the Rangers favor.   3.5X 3 wouldn't be terrible for both sides. 

Goodrow definitely needs to go, but I also think the team might think of  cutting bait with Lafrenière, which can save them some cap space. He's either going for a Kane + retention + youth package (looks like they have some D and Center prospects that fit Ranger needs, though I don't know how valuable they are to Chicago- Vlasic, Kaiser, Allen, Slaggert, Dach are name I brieflyread up on, so don'tkill me), at the deadline, or he's shipped off in the summer. 

I mean you have to clear space for Othmann at this point.  Unless they can unload Kreider, Goodrow or Trouba, I really see Lafrenière as the odd man out. Kakko is hanging on by a thread himself, but he at least has the only legit RW (not named Gauthier) position going for him. 

He can bring back both a current upgrade and some replenishments for the cupboard all in one trade. Maybe even a player they can plug in on the bottom . 

3 hours ago, Sod16 said:

You don't think as soon as Trouba's deal becomes a M-NTC, the team won't ask for the the trade list??

7 hours ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

This is the only logical solution.

That our trading Lindgren and hope/pray that Jones/Robertson/Hajek is a good enough left side behind Miller. I personally would never do this, but I can see it happening.

Is Robertson doing well this season?  If so, thry hould start giving him a look-see. Maybe Lindgren can be the odd man out.  

A guy like that really just needs the opportunity.  Lindgren wasn't exactly tearing up the prospect charts around the time he was called up. Infact people were writing him off. 

3 hours ago, LindG1000 said:

I'd call this fantasy, but they did name him captain, so it's moved a helluva lot closer to probable.