• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

How Can/Will the Rangers Keep Chytil?

Phil

13 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Pains me to say, but this might be accurate. Though I don’t think it happens if Lafreniere takes the Kakko bridge, puts in a summer of hard work to improve his awful conditioning.

I hate to agree but by the looks of it, Kakko is on the verge of breaking out. He has grown exponentially. His puck possession and shooting is soooo much better than his rookie year (eye test).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Pains me to say, but this might be accurate. Though I don’t think it happens if Lafreniere takes the Kakko bridge, puts in a summer of hard work to improve his awful conditioning.

The thing is it’s almost guaranteed to happen to who ever they move. I fully expect Laf to become a full fledged super star in Chicago. 

2 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

5 Years, $4.5Mil. Starting to love the kid. Only took him five seasons to figure it out.

*So far (adding the disclaimer for Josh)

There’s so many directions this thing can go if Chytil finishes in that 20 goal / 50 pt range. Strome got 5x5 as a UFA after 3 years of 65 pt production. Even Trocheck with years of 20-30 goals, 50-55 pt production got 5.6 long term. Do we see Chytil being within a half-mill to a mill of these guys as an RFA with only one season of good production under his belt?

On the other hand, he has a good amount of leverage as he only has two more seasons left before hitting UFA at only 25 years old because he was so young when he joined the team. If I’m him, and I see the blockages in front of him on the PP and at center in general, which has a direct impact on his point production and salary, I would probably want a short term contract and hit UFA at 25, or a trade where I’m playing top 6 minutes and PP time to increase my value.

• Like 1
  • VINNY! 1

22 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

I hate to agree but by the looks of it, Kakko is on the verge of breaking out. He has grown exponentially. His puck possession and shooting is soooo much better than his rookie year (eye test).

Kakko has done a tremendous amount of work on his first step, and I think because of that he is able to get pucks into a high danger area with some consistency now. He still has a major issue finishing.

If Lafreniere can not be gassed 15 seconds into every shift, he might be able to have a more lasting effect. I think he already has the hockey sense and IQ, he just needs his body to keep up with what his brain wants to do.

By the way, I’m shocked Lafreniere is out-producing Kakko, when the eye test says so much different. So strange. Maybe we don’t credit Lafreniere enough for knowing where to be on the ice to contribute offensively. Or maybe it’s just a coincidence and Kakko blows past him on the scoresheet in the second half of the season.

Edited by rmc51

Chytil is more valuable to the Rangers right now than anybody outside Igor, Zib, Fox, Panarin and maybe Kreider.  He plays upfront somewhere other than LW.  He's playing very well and maturing into a two way center right in front of our eyes.

Assuming he stays healthy I think he's going to be the first person the Rangers deal with at the end of the season.

Edited by Br4d

2 hours ago, siddious said:

I don’t know how the money shakes out but I think they keep Chytil and move one or kakko or Laf. My vote is for Laf. Othman will take his spot anyway. 

Isn’t it weird to discuss moving on from a prospect in a thread talking about keeping a prospect that took time to develop** 

** So far

• Like 2
  • LMFAO 1
  • Believe 1

5 minutes ago, josh said:

Isn’t it weird to discuss moving on from a prospect in a thread talking about keeping a prospect that took time to develop** 

** So far

Agreed.  Chytil wasn't very liked and considered a bust not long ago by this fanbase. Same with Kakko.  Hard to believe Hockey Canada would be so wrong about a player.  Maybe their love for Laf is more like Shane Down or Brendan Morrow love.  Always vastly overrated but loved for intangibles.  Not a generational player but a very good one and one who the Rangers could use.

16 minutes ago, josh said:

** So far

Well, no. Not all prospects are created equal.

Even going back to Chytil vs Andersson my POV was that Chytil always oozed offense. He just couldn't put it together. He had size, speed, the skill was there he just wasn't a good "hockey player". Even up until last season, just a fantastic 1:1 player but maybe not a center. Andersson never showed shit which is why he's topping out in the AHL.

Likewise, Lafreniere oozes jelly and custard. There's really no "there" there.

Edited by Pete
  • The Chyt! 1

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

Well, no. Not all prospects are created equal.

Even going back to Chytil vs Andersson my POV was that Chytil always oozed offense. He just couldn't put it together. He had size, speed, the skill was there he just wasn't a good "hockey player". Even up until last season, just a fantastic 1:1 player but maybe not a center. Andersson never showed shit which is why he's topping out in the AHL.

Likewise, Lafreniere oozes jelly and custard. There's really no "there" there.

Yea this. Chytil always looked like he has potential. I can’t say the same for Anderson or even Laf. Kakko has shown moments of brilliance which is why I rather keep him.

but time will tell I suppose. 

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, siddious said:

moments of brilliance

There's a key concept, and yes, there have always been some for Chytil and Kakko.  With LaF, in the good times, it has always been more moments of effectiveness, not moments of brilliance.

• Bullseye 1

36 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

There's a key concept, and yes, there have always been some for Chytil and Kakko.  With LaF, in the good times, it has always been more moments of effectiveness, not moments of brilliance.

Ehhhh. I think this is a bit backwards.

That’s a more brilliant and high end skill play than I can ever remember Kakko making. It might be one of a handful that Lafreniere has done, and handful might be generous, but it’s there. Kakko just looks consistently more in control of the puck and has gotten quicker, way more effective. I haven’t seen brilliance (maybe I’m just forgetting too), but I have seen consistent effectiveness this year.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

That just proves he can hang in the nhl with some seasoning. Not that he’s a star or worthy of being 1OA. Which is disappointing Any way you look at it. 

• VINNY! 1

2 hours ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Not to knock Lafreniere's one moment of skill play for the Rangers but the move was against a forward after Chytil interfered with the defenseman to get him out of the play.

And ignoring the absolutely atrocious goaltending lol.

• LMFAO 1

3 hours ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Not to knock Lafreniere's one moment of skill play for the Rangers but the move was against a forward after Chytil interfered with the defenseman to get him out of the play.

35 minutes ago, Pete said:

And ignoring the absolutely atrocious goaltending lol.

Man you guys are heartless, the ONE time the kid blows a load on the ice since he's been in the league and he gets hit with these gems.🤣

20 minutes ago, jsrangers said:

Man you guys are heartless, the ONE time the kid blows a load on the ice since he's been in the league and he gets hit with these gems.🤣

I mean, I blew mine when I saw it too, but it doesn't change either point we made haha. 

5 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

For all the bashing he’s gotten etc. over the years… it just goes to show why it pays to be patient. 

There's some wisdom here for sure, but at the same time... Every team has different dynamics. For example Anaheim can afford to be more patient than the Rangers can. 

You just can't make blanket statements like that. 

However, Drury and many of us were wrong to think that his playoff performance was a flash in the pan, so they went and signed Trocheck to a fairly bad contract instead of just giving the job to cheat codes. 

That's gonna fuck them later. 

Just now, Pete said:

There's some wisdom here for sure, but at the same time... Every team has different dynamics. For example Anaheim can afford to be more patient than the Rangers can. 

You just can't make blanket statements like that. 

However, Drury and many of us were wrong to think that his playoff performance was a flash in the pan, so they went and signed Trocheck to a fairly bad contract instead of just giving the job to cheat codes. 

That's gonna fuck them later. 

I agree with that too

That set or circumstances put twists and turns in his road of development