• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS #34] Rangers @ Pittsburgh Penguins — All Aboard the Trouba Train

Phil

1 minute ago, Karan said:

Have to give the edge to the Isles defensively and even in goal, so Rangers are gonna need to be much more opportunistic with their scoring chances than tonight. I definitely don't expect them to get blown out or embarrassed however. Not with the current run of form. 

Yes the defense has been much improved overall. The Islanders have been stingy as you mentioned. They do just enough to frustrate the Rangers with their defense and score opportunistic goals. Shesterkin has struggled mightily against them in his career also. 

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Yes the defense has been much improved overall. The Islanders have been stingy as you mentioned. They do just enough to frustrate the Rangers with their defense and score opportunistic goals. Shesterkin has struggled mightily against them in his career also. 

Shesty's seemingly in a better head space based on his current form and not playing as deep like he was in Nov, don't expect past struggles against the Piles to be a factor for him right now. It'll be a good one either way, crowd's gonna be rocking. 

1 minute ago, RangersIn7 said:

They played well tonight. And had plenty of chances. Jarry was very good for Pittsburgh. 

Yup pretty much. Really really even game between 2 good teams. The numbers confirm that pretty much, with a slight edge to the Rangers in chances, which is what we all saw.  But unfortunately Jarry made the saves when he needed to and kept the Rangers putting the game away early on. Could've been a different game if the Rangers were a bit more disciplined and similarly got the PPs they deserved.

Rangers - Corsi: 61, Fenwick: 42, Shots: 28, Scoring Chances: 37, High Danger Chances: 10, Expected Goals: 2.28
Penguins - Corsi: 44, Fenwick: 31, Shots: 24, Scoring Chances: 25, High Danger Chances: 11, Expected Goals: 2.27

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Karan said:

Shesty's seemingly in a better head space based on his current form and not playing as deep like he was in Nov, don't expect past struggles against the Piles to be a factor for him right now. It'll be a good one either way, crowd's gonna be rocking. 

Yeah, I'm expecting a fun game. They usually are, and rather unpredictable, regardless of either team's situations.

2 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Yeah, I'm expecting a fun game. They usually are, and rather unpredictable, regardless of either team's situations.

These 2 teams are likely to be battling it out for the same spot in the division all season long so it ought to be a good fight. I do worry about the Rangers defensive depth getting tested though as the Isles have been getting goals from across the entire lineup. 

2 minutes ago, Karan said:

Yup pretty much. Really really even game between 2 good teams. The numbers confirm that pretty much, with a slight edge to the Rangers in chances, which is what we all saw.  But unfortunately Jarry made the saves when he needed to and kept the Rangers putting the game away early on. Could've been a different game if the Rangers were a bit more disciplined and similarly got the PPs they deserved.

Rangers - Corsi: 61, Fenwick: 42, Shots: 28, Scoring Chances: 37, High Danger Chances: 10, Expected Goals: 2.28
Penguins - Corsi: 44, Fenwick: 31, Shots: 24, Scoring Chances: 25, High Danger Chances: 11, Expected Goals: 2.27

Yup

Thought the Rangers needed to cash one of those early PP’s. Blais took a terrible penalty. And the no-call late on Mika hurt them. I think that needs to get called. 

Special teams and Jarry. A bad penalty. A bad break.

Could’ve gone either way kind of game. 

I can't get on the boys for this one!  I thought we played a pretty solid game the first half of this one.  We got away from it for a spell, and then the refs took care of the rest!  It's Pittsburgh, nothing new under the sun here!

...And here are the Top 9 nominees for Ozzy’s Quote of the GDT, sponsored by The Bronx Zoo:  Home of the "Crooked Zebra"!

3 hours ago, Karan said:

Obvs. Officer Keirik enjoys a wham, bam, goodbye job.

3 hours ago, mbob said:

Oh god that fucking horn, I’d die happy never hearing that shit again. 

3 hours ago, rmc51 said:

Yup, and you know what happens when you don’t take convert your chances. Pain later.

3 hours ago, josh said:

BSBH fantasy hockey will use shots wide as a category next season 

2 hours ago, Pete said:

This auction is a joke...Who'd want a personalized message from Sam? So he can fuck up your name 64 times in 30 seconds?

2 hours ago, Cash or Czech said:

Yeah I agree. They’re both useless. Like a giant douche versus a turd sandwich

2 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

When you play Pittsburgh you're playing against their players, the referees and the NHL offices.

1 hour ago, VegasRanger said:

Sorry I'm late.  Just got home.  FUCK Crosby!

1 hour ago, jsrangers said:

I'm still waiting on Sam to call it a goal, sit tight.

We had this game won, I don't give a shit!  We had our chances to put this one away early, put out a damn good effort, and simply tagged iron four times!  How many goal posts can this team hit, though!!!!!  It's gotta be a record at this point!

I'm not even going to get into Zibby getting pulled down in the last minute!

…and the winning quote for tonight’s GDT goes to @Pete Pete!

I can only imagine my personalized message from Sam??  "Ozzy, stop stroking your bird....You'll go blind!" 

Isles Thursday, boys!! 

• LMFAO 3

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I can only imagine my personalized message from Sam??  "Ozzy, stop stroking your bird....You'll go blind!" 

About right, but he'll probably get your name wrong and call you "Trouba."

I'm bidding on a personalized message from Joe.  I need assurance that my back, which has been lame for 15 years, is improving and once it does my play will be excellent.

CK and VT hook up for two 5X5 goals.  If that happens with any regularity, this team is in good shape.

• LMFAO 1

6 hours ago, Sod16 said:

About right, but he'll probably get your name wrong and call you "Trouba."

I'm bidding on a personalized message from Joe.  I need assurance that my back, which has been lame for 15 years, is improving and once it does my play will be excellent.

CK and VT hook up for two 5X5 goals.  If that happens with any regularity, this team is in good shape.

You're right!  we'll be fine with efforts like that.  We got robbed on some calls/non-calls.  Cindy-factor...no worries;  been there/done it, Sod!  😃

48 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

If those post shots go in, the game is probably over in the first period. They were on a really good run and shit happens. Last night was back to what had been happening with this team prior to the winning streak.

That's bit of a stretch. If the team regressed back to what it was like prior to the winning streak, they would've rolled over and died in the 3rd and wound up losing 5-2. However, they actually managed to show some fight and outshot PIT in the 3rd. The morning after, I'm not feeling quite as bad about the loss than in the immediate aftermath. 

4 minutes ago, Karan said:

That's bit of a stretch. If the team regressed back to what it was like prior to the winning streak, they would've rolled over and died in the 3rd and wound up losing 5-2. However, they actually managed to show some fight and outshot PIT in the 3rd. The morning after, I'm not feeling quite as bad about the loss than in the immediate aftermath. 

I guess I should have been a bit more specific, but primarily referring to the lack of puck luck.