• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Gerard Gallant, Sigh

goondman

The coach has to go, for sure, but you also can't have the highest paid player in the league no show because he's flat out afraid for 27 straight playoff games. He's an embarrassment to the jersey, and needs to go. It's over. He got his second chance and failed spectacularly. 

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

15 minutes ago, Dunny said:

The coach has to go, for sure, but you also can't have the highest paid player in the league no show because he's flat out afraid for 27 straight playoff games. He's an embarrassment to the jersey, and needs to go. It's over. He got his second chance and failed spectacularly. 

When ur teams overall speed is severely dragging the opponent, no individual player can overcome that.

And panarin certainly did not play any slower than the rest.

Put him in the middle of a fast puck moving/skating team and hell be fine.

20 minutes ago, Dunny said:

25 minutes ago, Pete said:

Seems pretty simple to me that you can try to change the team, which would be really hard, or you could look at the obvious problem and stop making excuses for this atrocious coach. 

You’re both right 

Galant didn’t do shit. They never had a system to fall back on.. EVER. Gord Murphy is another fraud. Can’t remember the last time their defense looked that clueless. GG was just fortunate to come into a room where multiple players were trending up and rode the wave as long as he could. 

The problems were already there from last season. The PP magic flamed out and their lack of 5v5 production finally did them in. Add multiple gutless efforts to that list and here we are. Galant and Co. are just not going to get anything else from this roster. 

Bring in someone who can actually implement a system and we’ll get a much better idea of what they have. As for their lack of motivation/intensity during this series? I have no answers. I watched multiple moments in complete disbelief. 

Too many mental midgets. 

If you’re firing Gallant for mistakes, then you’re investigating the market for some of the clumsy mental midgets on the roster.

Artemi Panarin may be playful. He may be a personality. He may be a 90 point guy and hey, he may wind up biting us in the ass like Gaborik did one day.

But I am not, under any circumstances, going into battle ever again with this guy at the front of my firing squad. I’m just not. This falls more at the feet of #10, who put on a performance for the ages (the wrong way) than Gallant, who I too admit is not free of be ripped.

I have confidence Zibanejad will turn this around. I have none that Panarin, who pulled the same shit last year, will.

And whoever is the coach needs to get the ear of Adam Fox and inform him that the playoffs are different than game in November.

Drury’s first decision is what to do with Gerard Gallant. It’s believed the GM and coach have not seen eye to eye much of this season, Gallant’s second behind the bench. It would be a surprise to see the Rangers make a change after two successful regular seasons and one Eastern Conference final run, but a firing would certainly show how different the expectations were this season after last season’s surprise final-four trip.

https://theathletic.com/4479534/2023/05/01/rangers-game-7-loss-devils/?source=user_shared_article

5 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Gallant did a good job here if this is it for him. I’m sorry, but if a team of professionals with this type of experience can’t motivate themselves to play against a rivals backup goalie, then more than the coach should be in jeopardy.

It has less to do with experience and motivation, you're not giving the devil's any credit for the absolutely stifling system they deployed against this team. A system that was not there in games 1 and 2, until their coach made an adjustment.

If you expected the Rangers to win just by showing up, then you're just as guilty of it as Gallant. There needs to be a system in place. It's just so obvious. 

Every profession, no matter how long you're in it, you get a boss. And that boss tells you this is what we're trying to do, this is your role in it, this is what we need from you, and these are the people around you and here's how you work with them.

These players had a boss who went they showed up just told them to try really hard. 

Edited by Pete
  • Keeps it 100 4

26 minutes ago, Phil said:

Yea, second round exit? Im sure he would've gotten the benefit of sticking around but now? Up 2-0 in a series, then SHUT OUT twice enroute to the biggest disappointment since the Cup Finals loss?

At least last year, you could say we overperformed a bit. This year, we WAY underperformed. Drury must be scratching his head saying, how did I get you two dynamic scoring, cup winning wingers paired with this ECF championship contending roster and you flame out in the first round?

Fire him today Chris, please. Send a message early for us fans. We deserve better; as does Chris Kreider and Jacob Trouba, two guys who tried to lay it on the line for the team.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sharpshooter said:

True, but neither of them were under investigation for sexual assault allegations. Not that being racist is great either, but that Chicago Blackhawks situation was very serious.

The allegation was that he knew, and it's an allegation that I'm not really sure has ever been proven. But somebody needed to take a fall. I don't understand how he would be reinstated if they found he were at fault for anything.

If the NHL deems him worthy to coach, then he's worthy to coach. If anybody has an issue with it they should take it up with the NHL.

Just now, Pete said:

The allegation was that he knew, and it's an allegation that I'm not really sure has ever been proven. But somebody needed to take a fall. I don't understand how he would be reinstated if they found he were at fault for anything.

If the NHL deems him worthy to coach, then he's worthy to coach. If anybody has an issue with it they should take it up with the NHL.

Yeah, we'll probably never really knew what happened. But hey, I hope he is reinstated and I would love it if he was the new coach here.

• JIMMY! 1

5 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I would love Q, but it's probably not happening. MSG and the Rangers are super sensitive and I don't think they want all of that baggage here. You're probably looking at Laviolette or Bruce Boudreau as the next coach.

That "baggage" is over.  He took the fall either though it was more of internal management.  Seems like everyone gets 2nd chances, why shouldnt he....This would actually be something that he probably learned about and wouldnt make that same mistake.  Bring Coach Q in.  

• VINNY! 1

Just now, Sharpshooter said:

Yeah, we'll probably never really knew what happened. But hey, I hope he is reinstated and I would love it if he was the new coach here.

To be clear, I think he was too close to the whole situation and I don't think he should be coaching, but I also don't have all the information and if the NHL says he can coach then he can coach. 

I'm not sure how I'd really feel about it if he were the Rangers coach. I think part of him coming here would need to be a really believable narrative around what he knew and didn't know and what he said and didn't say. 

Just now, Blue Heaven said:

That "baggage" is over.  He took the fall either though it was more of internal management.  Seems like everyone gets 2nd chances, why shouldnt he....This would actually be something that he probably learned about and wouldnt make that same mistake.  Bring Coach Q in.  

I would love it. From what I remember, it was more the assistant coaches that had something to do with it. 

Just now, Pete said:

To be clear, I think he was too close to the whole situation and I don't think he should be coaching, but I also don't have all the information and if the NHL says he can coach then he can coach. 

I'm not sure how I'd really feel about it if he were the Rangers coach. I think part of him coming here would need to be a really believable narrative around what he knew and didn't know and what he said and didn't say. 

Whether its Q or Laviolette or what have you, either way this team needs a coach with a plan and a coach the players will respect. Gallant had neither of those things going.

• Cheers 1
  • Keeps it 100 1