• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2022-23 ECQF #1: Rangers @ New Jersey Devils — Rip and Tear

9 hours ago, Mdk154 said:

Trade miller for blais

Miller made the beautiful pass to Tarasenko on the early goal.

He gives and he takes now but he's probably going to be a top 5 defenseman in his prime and you don't trade that away unless you know you are getting more back.

I think I keep him unless the cap crunch becomes unbearable or the Rangers spring a 24 year old star-in-waiting RW back in return.

Completely dominated from the drop of the puck. The Devils played the first period with the intensity of a regular season game, and the Rangers played with the speed at tenacity of playoff hockey. The Devils were unprepared. 

The second period was their best, and still nowhere near good enough. 

I don't expect them all to be this easy, but it's not a series until the home team loses and it can get late quick for a young inexperienced team. 

• Keeps it 100 2

1 hour ago, jsm7302 said:

Chris Kreider going to have an MVP run? That would cement his place amongst the greats of this franchise. 

He’s already there. #20 will never be worn by another Ranger once he’s done.

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

Completely dominated from the drop of the puck. The Devils played the first period with the intensity of a regular season game, and the Rangers played with the speed at tenacity of playoff hockey. The Devils were unprepared. 

The second period was their best, and still nowhere near good enough. 

I don't expect them all to be this easy, but it's not a series until the home team loses and it can get late quick for a young inexperienced team. 

I’m expecting them to be hyper aggressive in the first 10 minutes of the game tomorrow as a way to make up for the egg they laid in game 1. Hopefully that leads to a bad penalty or two against.  

• Believe 1

15 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

Miller was pretty bad overall. Rest of the team was great. Need him to figure it out, last night we didn't get exposed for any of the mistakes we made.

The bad: Miller was our worst player on ice last name and the weak link on the team, and the Devils couldn't take advantage until Hughes' penalty shot.

The good: If Miller is our worst player on ice, we're doing pretty good.

Edited by BrooksBurner
  • Cheers 1

• Phil unpinned this topic

If we come out and play this way every game, blocking shots, getting pucks in deep, and banging teams around on the forecheck, we're going to be very tough!  I think the Devils showed us everything they had in the tank in that 2nd period.  They're going to need another gear if that's all they have.

Thursday night is an absolute MUST for them already.  They lose that one, and come back to MSG down 2-0, their assholes are going to be whistling!

• LOL 1

I noticed the Rangers were way more aggressive on the PK last night than they usually are. Obviously that worked out great for them because they put on a PK'ing clinic. Will be interesting to see how they adjust.

I also think Shesterkin's rebound control was phenomenal. He kept putting it in places where the Rangers could clear it or skate it out - and credit to the Rangers for being there to get the puck. 

The Rangers backcheck was great too. Even on the odd-man rushes they gave up, there was always a backchecker coming back to even up the numbers and take away a pass. 

• Bullseye 1

9 minutes ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

I noticed the Rangers were way more aggressive on the PK last night than they usually are. Obviously that worked out great for them because they put on a PK'ing clinic. Will be interesting to see how they adjust.

I also think Shesterkin's rebound control was phenomenal. He kept putting it in places where the Rangers could clear it or skate it out - and credit to the Rangers for being there to get the puck. 

The Rangers backcheck was great too. Even on the odd-man rushes they gave up, there was always a backchecker coming back to even up the numbers and take away a pass. 

Agree, and leading the charge there was Goodrow. Reminds you that he's well worth his cap hit in crunch time, in ways that other players aren't.

• Keeps it 100 1

2 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

Chris Kreider going to have an MVP run? That would cement his place amongst the greats of this franchise. 

3 yrs ago, that contract seemed like such a borderline choice for a guy that had never hit 30 goals that was going to have major implications for cap flexibility. Rather than regressing, he managed to ratchet his game up a serious notch between the 52-goal season, the 2022 run, 36 this year and continued major leadership role. Making Gorton and Davidson look very smart in hindsight.

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

1 minute ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

THAT'S exactly right, Morph!!  I noticed that was much more prominent last night than most any game during the regular season.  It's kinda like they were cool with just going through the motions during the regular season, and now it's "go time"!

Just now, RodrigueGabriel said:

3 yrs ago, that contract seemed like such a borderline choice for a guy that had never hit 30 goals that was going to have major implications for cap flexibility. Rather than regressing, he managed to ratchet his game up a serious notch between the 52-goal season, the 2022 run, 36 this year and continued major leadership role. Making Gorton and Davidson look very smart in hindsight.

The contract went from looking like an albatross to almost a bargain in one season. It's definitely more of a relief than anything. lol I think what's helping Kreider more now than when he was on the team is that they're just better players on this team now and ones that shoot and are looking for him to deflect like an Adam Fox.

Just now, Ozzy said:

THAT'S exactly right, Morph!!  I noticed that was much more prominent last night than most any game during the regular season.  It's kinda like they were cool with just going through the motions during the regular season, and now it's "go time"!

I think they recognized that they can't get too ahead of themselves and get stuck too deep the offensive zone. They were somewhat disciplined with the puck at the Devils' blueline - they kind of started to get away from that in the 2nd, but they snapped back to it. 

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

Just now, Sharpshooter said:

The contract went from looking like an albatross to almost a bargain in one season. It's definitely more of a relief than anything. lol I think what's helping Kreider more now than when he was on the team is that they're just better players on this team now and ones that shoot and are looking for him to deflect like an Adam Fox.

I also think he since managed to refine the net front/deflection thing to a level that he hadn't yet and that few ever have. Speaks to his work ethic and brain for seeing the opportunity.

7 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

He's still one of the most frustrating players on the ice. Like yesterday on the PK Kreider's going for a lose puck with Hughes and Kreider lets up. There's your chance to bury Hughes below the Earth's crust. You have 55 fucking pounds on him. Turn him into paste. 

Whatever edge he had to his game he lost after the Price incident. 

I really don't wanna get too carried away here, because it's only one game, and this thing can turn on a dime in a second.  But what I saw last night was a team that looked engaged, and went after it HARD!

Short memory here....that one's in the books and now we focus on slam-fucking those punks on Thursday night!

I soooooo wanna come home 2-0!!!

• Keeps it 100 1

14 minutes ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

He's still one of the most frustrating players on the ice. Like yesterday on the PK Kreider's going for a lose puck with Hughes and Kreider lets up. There's your chance to bury Hughes below the Earth's crust. You have 55 fucking pounds on him. Turn him into paste. 

Whatever edge he had to his game he lost after the Price incident. 

No doubt, but this is still a much better version of Chris Kreider. I could say the same thing about the whole team, when it comes to letting up in various situations. Of course he's still guilty of lengthily disappearing acts but they aren't as long or deep as they were in the past.