• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2022-23 ECQF #1: Rangers @ New Jersey Devils — Rip and Tear

34 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

The contract went from looking like an albatross to almost a bargain in one season. It's definitely more of a relief than anything. lol I think what's helping Kreider more now than when he was on the team is that they're just better players on this team now and ones that shoot and are looking for him to deflect like an Adam Fox.

When that contract was signed, no one was concerned about the first 3 years. It was the last 3 that everyone thought would be problematic. And it still may be.

1 minute ago, Pete said:

When that contract was signed, no one was concerned about the first 3 years. It was the last 3 that everyone thought would be problematic. And it still may be.

It might be. I'm hoping he's the ultimate late bloomer and as I said with the team in general getting better offensively around him, it will continue to help in the long run. 🤞

This was one of the games, where it seemed that the coaches had actually been coaching. I think it's been the second period when the Rangers seemed stuck on their end of the ice and the coach called a timeout. That changed the tilt of the ice for most of the remaining game. I know that the coaches get beat up when the Rangers are loosing, calling for a taxi, etc.  Yes, the players did have a great game, Lindgren's goal was awesome, but sometimes the coaches should be appreciated as well...

PS: I reserve the right for hailing a cab for Turk in any upcoming games...😉

• LMFAO 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

I think they recognized that they can't get too ahead of themselves and get stuck too deep the offensive zone. They were somewhat disciplined with the puck at the Devils' blueline - they kind of started to get away from that in the 2nd, but they snapped back to it. 

This is exactly it, which is why Bissonnette's assessment in between periods wasn't a great take. He harped on the Rangers' forwards needing to be better about getting in deep on the forecheck, and that Gallant should be chewing their asses out about it, but the fact of the matter is when you've got a lead in the playoffs against a fast team, you prioritize muddying things up. The Devils would want them to remain aggressive to open up the game and increase the chances of generating odd man rushes. It's very hard to toe the line between "forechecking is the best defense" and "minimize risk". The Rangers approached it brilliantly IMO and I have to give a lot of credit to Gallant because he had them ready to play a playoff style game.

Edited by BrooksBurner

1 hour ago, Pete said:

But nobody anticipated he'd improve his production so dramatically in the first 3 years, so there is some profit to bank. And as was said at the time, his physical regimen is such that he's less likely than most to break down quickly or suddenly. So far, the contract looks like a winner.

1 hour ago, Kick save and a beauty said:

And having great service from Foxy

Love Kreider, but he'd still be a 25 goal 50 point guy if Fox isn't on the team/PP. The ice is tilted so frequently in the Rangers' favor when Fox is on the ice.

Edited by BrooksBurner

1 minute ago, BrooksBurner said:

Love Kreider, but he'd still be a 25 goal 50 point guy if Fox isn't on the team/PP. The ice is tilted so frequently in the Rangers' favor when Fox is on the ice.

Fortunately for Kreider, we've got Fox for the entire rest of both of their contracts.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

This is exactly it, which is why Bissonnette's assessment in between periods wasn't a great take. 

Are we going to have to listen to this clown for the next two months?  At least in the first round, we can turn to the other game between periods.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

Chris Kreider going to have an MVP run? That would cement his place amongst the greats of this franchise. 

The stats don't lie but man, that eye test totally seeing something else. I keep calling him a ghost, yet he reaches the scoring record heights. Enigma or I just don't recognize a good hockey player.

1 hour ago, RodrigueGabriel said:

But nobody anticipated he'd improve his production so dramatically in the first 3 years, so there is some profit to bank.

Yes.

And as was said at the time, his physical regimen is such that he's less likely than most to break down quickly or suddenly.

And then you have a guy like JVR who scores goals the same way and is breaking down, and bad. Being a gym rat doesn't stop pucks and sticks from hitting you, and Kreider has already had 2 pretty serious injuries that have nothing to do with being unfit.

So far, the contract looks like a winner.

Yes.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Yes.

And then you have a guy like JVR who scores goals the same way and is breaking down, and bad. Being a gym rat doesn't stop pucks and sticks from hitting you, and Kreider has already had 2 pretty serious injuries that have nothing to do with being unfit.

Yes.

Fair enough on point 2. No such thing as 20-20 foresight.

• Cheers 1

The problem with Kreider has always been consistency.   He's always left the Rangers fans wanting more and thinking what if he ever put it all together.    On the whole he's put together a pretty good career.  No matter what happens from this point I think it's pretty certain he'll have his number retired by the Rangers.

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1
  • Applause 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

8 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

The problem with Kreider has always been consistency.   He's always left the Rangers fans wanting more and thinking what if he ever put it all together.    On the whole he's put together a pretty good career.  No matter what happens from this point I think it's pretty certain he'll have his number retired by the Rangers.

It's this. It's also that Kreider hasn't quite ever developed into the player he was envisioned as. He has tremendous strength and speed but doesn't use them as a prototypical power forward would. He's a little too respectful of a player.