• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

It's Time to Have the Lafrenière Conversation

Phil

4 hours ago, LindG1000 said:

I think it's worth reviving this thread for a second.

We've now seen some of the player quotes from exit interviews around Gallant. That they weren't getting advice, or guidance. That there wasn't a clear strategy. The constant "he knows what we need from him" when it was clear that they didn't. Laf's been here for three years. He had an acceptable rookie season under Quinn and has basically stalled since then under Gallant.

Are we rushing to judgment on this one, and do we think a new coach could unlock the Lafreniere we thought we were drafting?

If we thought we were getting that pre-draft write up that's been floated about here the last couple of months I'm sticking with no way in hell. Regardless of who's coaching.  He's not a shadow of that guy who's written about on paper. He may improve in some areas, it's be hard not too based on where he's currently at after three years. But again if we think we were getting the pre draft hype - no shot. zero, zilch.

• Like 1

Trading Lafreniere in a deal in which the other team isn't taking the big risk would be like throwing the baby out with the bath water right now.

If somebody wants to give us a top 6 RW + futures that's a possibility the Rangers would have to look at but we're talking a RW that has established 60+ points as his pace and 25-ish.

Not a lot of those guys likely to float free and for good reason.  Not a lot of former #1OA's who have 47 goals scored at 21 on 3rd line minutes and no power play floating free either.

20 hours ago, Long live the King said:

Absolutely we are.  I get it.  He's not gonna be Hughes and everyone is mad about it.  There's no reason he can't be RNH.

RNH ,is that oilers center Hopkins

Edited by lefty9

The kind of deal that I would make for Laffy if I had to trade him would be for Patrick Laine, with the caveat that you'd need to make some real cap space to do that.

Laine probably represents what Laffy will be at 25 and he'd be an acceptable hedge between the build and go-for-it options.

Why would Columbus do a deal like this?  Because they're rebuilding and Laine has been fragile of recent years which hurts their continuity.

Why would we do it?  Because we're impatient idiots looking for the cotton candy right now dammit!

17 minutes ago, Br4d said:

The kind of deal that I would make for Laffy if I had to trade him would be for Patrick Laine, with the caveat that you'd need to make some real cap space to do that.

Laine probably represents what Laffy will be at 25 and he'd be an acceptable hedge between the build and go-for-it options.

Why would Columbus do a deal like this?  Because they're rebuilding and Laine has been fragile of recent years which hurts their continuity.

Why would we do it?  Because we're impatient idiots looking for the cotton candy right now dammit!

Why would they over come all the cap hurdles for a player that's gotten hurt each of the last 5 years? 

2 hours ago, Long live the King said:

Why would they over come all the cap hurdles for a player that's gotten hurt each of the last 5 years? 

Because he's a top pick who proved out and is now having some fragility issues.  If he rebounds from those his prime should be really special.

I'd rather keep Laffy and profit from that with the downside being 3rd line LW but I could see the Rangers deciding to move on.

If they do decide to do that they'd better get a piece that really helps this window right now and could be a major star moving forward.  That's Laine in a nutshell.

With respect to all of these "limited 3rd line minutes" comments, let's remember, they have repeatedly tried inserting him in the top 6, and the third line that he has played on often gets as much ice as the first two.  It is not simply a trio of grinders.  They have skill.  

When you are at the end of your third season, it's time for a significant playoff performance, not zero points in seven games.

• Bullseye 1

23 hours ago, Long live the King said:

How is he instantly the top RW when he puts up worse numbers than Kakko?

Are we talking about the same player? Brock Boeser? Guy with a nose for the net and a righty shot that can typically score from anywhere? 

Put up 29 and 26 goals in his 1st 2 years?  Have you seen this guy play? 

His numbers have gone down,  but Vancouver has stunk for 4 years now and the kid lost his father last year after long bought with cancer and Parkinsons.Hres been through a bit especially the last 2 years.  

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Are we talking about the same player? Brock Boeser? Guy with a nose for the net and a righty shot that can typically score from anywhere? 

Put up 29 and 26 goals in his 1st 2 years?  Have you seen this guy play? 

His numbers have gone down,  but Vancouver has stunk for 4 years now and the kid lost his father last year after long bought with cancer and Parkinsons.Hres been through a bit especially the last 2 years.  

Yea his stats 5 years ago were fine.  

Vancouver stinks so bad that Pettersson scored over 100 points, Miller was over a ppg, Kuzmenko nearly score 40 goals, Horvat had 31 goals and 54 points in 49 games, and Boeser equaled Kakko.