• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers, Gallant Agree to Part Ways

Phil

11 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I think it’s just a different era. There are analytics out the wazoo now, and they are more refined than ever. Younger guys in the game like Drury pay more attention to it than the old school guys like GG. When you question the team’s play all year (for the second regular season in a row really), have a bad playoffs like that with the same bad analytics, it makes more sense to look past the record than it used to years ago. This was clearly an analytics-backed firing to me.

I just don't get why they hired Gallant to begin with then.

Two different philosophies that were doomed to not coexist. I feared this when they announced the hiring. 

I think this was a Drury analytics firing of a Dolan demanded hire. Which probably also turned into a  Dolan demanded firing. 

What's off putting is that this next hire definitely has the potential to be a Drury puppet/analytics ass hat.

What's promising is Dolan will want a name. Laviolette should be option A-1. But in Drurys mind, it's going to be whoever is on board fully with using analytics to create the lines and roster. 

I'm a non believer in overusing analytics. 

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

I just don't get why they hired Gallant to begin with then.

Two different philosophies that were doomed to not coexist. I feared this when they announced the hiring. 

I think this was a Drury analytics firing of a Dolan demanded hire. Which probably also turned into a  Dolan demanded firing. 

What's off putting is that this next hire definitely has the potential to be a Drury puppet/analytics ass hat.

What's promising is Dolan will want a name. Laviolette should be option A-1. But in Drurys mind, it's going to be whoever is on board fully with using analytics to create the lines and roster. 

I'm a non believer in overusing analytics. 

I love Laviolette as much as the next guy. And believe me, I won’t be too upset if in the end that’s who we end up with.

But, I have no idea why you’re as high on him as you are the moment. He’s gotten older. His teams have underperformed the last 6 or so years. He looks to be getting older and less into everything. 

I just don’t know if he’s the right fit or the right guy at this time.

I just want a guy that doesn't act like a High School Gym Teacher a year from retirement who just rolls a bunch of basketballs out in the gym while he sits in the corner drinking coffee waiting for the day to end. 

I want a coach.. who has a system... who has tactical sensibilities... who holds his guys accountable... who ever checks those boxes is great, don't care what the name is.   

Edited by Flynn
  • LOL 1

Alright, I had my hissy-fit, and I'm willing to accept we're not going to get my guy.  I admit it, I almost joined Billie Jo Mcallister in driving my car off the Tallahatchie bridge, but I've come to grips with it now.  LOL

I really just don't seem to care for any of the candidates mentioned previously.  Many of them just don't move the needle for me.  I can deal with Knobby, but I just don't think this is the time for him.  This team is in "WIN NOW" mode, and he has minimal to no NHL coaching experience.

I dunno, fellas...what are we doing here? 

Talk to me....tell me about the rabbits! 

Sully's embedded in Pittsburgh, and I'm not too high on Laviolette.  

• Like 1

On 5/7/2023 at 10:22 AM, Cash or Czech said:

Would it surprise anyone if this trend continued? I mean, Hakstol and Ruff are nominees this year. Montgomery, too, but the Bs are probably gonna get dismantled.

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

Would it surprise anyone if this trend continued? I mean, Hakstol and Ruff are nominees this year. Montgomery, too, but the Bs are probably gonna get dismantled.

The Jack Adams literally goes to the coach of the team that most exceeded expectations. What goes up, must come down.

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 3

I wonder if Gallant was a Dolan pick and not really a Drury one. Knowing Dolan, he probably had a hard on for him after his fairly recent Stanley Cup Final run and wanted Chris to get on that. Maybe Chris would prefer a Q or a Laviolette, or I can totally see him hiring Knoblauch, especially after a deep run by the Wolf Pack in the playoffs. Drury has been in the organization for awhile and obviously knows him. It sounds like he's a player's coach for the most part, but much more of an X's and O's kind of guy, which they want. It should be interesting.

GG definitely took the fall for the players. The players deserve most of the blame for the flame out in the first round. That game seven performance was one of the worst, most gutless performances I've ever seen in a game seven, perhaps by anybody. They were pretty bad in maybe three or four out of the seven games too. No excuse for it.

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 2

14 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I wonder if Gallant was a Dolan pick and not really a Drury one. Knowing Dolan, he probably had a hard on for him after his fairly recent Stanley Cup Final run and wanted Chris to get on that. Maybe Chris would prefer a Q or a Laviolette, or I can totally see him hiring Knoblauch, especially after a deep run by the Wolf Pack in the playoffs. Drury has been in the organization for awhile and obviously knows him. It sounds like he's a player's coach for the most part, but much more of an X's and O's kind of guy, which they want. It should be interesting.

GG definitely took the fall for the players. The players deserve most of the blame for the flame out in the first round. That game seven performance was one of the worst, most gutless performances I've ever seen in a game seven, perhaps by anybody. They were pretty bad in maybe three or four out of the seven games too. No excuse for it.

Absolutely. Even if you can't solve them in the game, at least make adjustments in an attempt to lock it down or combat the issues. GG did nothing besides throw out different line combos like a human slot machine hoping for a jackpot. 

24 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Drury wanted one of Brind'Amour or Sullivan. Neither ended up available. Both re-signed, so the team went where it went.

Phil, just saw your tweet quoting the podcast with EJ Hradek. Think the quote about Panarin not being a fan of Gallant is hysterical. Back to back 90 point seasons, a playoff ghost this year, hardly spoke to the media following a disgusting playoff showing in which you go 6 games without a point, you wear an ‘A’ and you throw the coach under the bus? After all that? After ghosting during the playoffs and hardly speaking to the media? 

What a disaster. That locker room needs some accountability. Sure, Gallant took some of the blame. And now he’s gone. So now what? If and when we fail next year, what then?

Literally nut-up or shut up time for a lot of these veterans. 

• Keeps it 100 1

14 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Phil, just saw your tweet quoting the podcast with EJ Hradek. Think the quote about Panarin not being a fan of Gallant is hysterical. Back to back 90 point seasons, a playoff ghost this year, hardly spoke to the media following a disgusting playoff showing in which you go 6 games without a point, you wear an ‘A’ and you throw the coach under the bus? After all that? After ghosting during the playoffs and hardly speaking to the media? 

What a disaster. That locker room needs some accountability. Sure, Gallant took some of the blame. And now he’s gone. So now what? If and when we fail next year, what then?

I always go back to my point about this mostly being an issue with the core players. You already brought up Panarin, but Zibanejad can be just as bad. When he's on, he's one of the best in the league too. However, even if he's pushed around a little bit, he disappears. He also gets really sulky and you can tell he isn't feeling when he has those classic mumbling post game interviews.

This core certainly has a fair share of good players, but are they winning ones? I'm not so sure, and I'm more concerned now than I was at any point last season. Just too many disappearing acts too frequently for this group.

Edited by Sharpshooter
  • Like 1
  • Bullseye 2
  • Keeps it 100 1

2 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I always go back to my point about this mostly being an issue with the core players. You already brought up Panarin, but Zibanejad can be just as bad. When he's on, and he's one of the best in the league too. However, even if he's pushed around a little bit, he disappears. He also gets really sulky and you can tell he isn't feeling when he has those classic mumbling post game interviews.

This core certainly has a fair share of good players, but are they winning ones? I'm not so sure, and I'm more concerned now than I was at any point last season. Just too many dispearing acts too frequently for this group.

Yup. Bipolar. High highs. Low lows. Zib is the poster child for this theory.

2 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I always go back to my point about this mostly being an issue with the core players. You already brought up Panarin, but Zibanejad can be just as bad. When he's on, and he's one of the best in the league too. However, even if he's pushed around a little bit, he disappears. He also gets really sulky and you can tell he isn't feeling when he has those classic mumbling post game interviews.

This core certainly has a fair share of good players, but are they winning ones? I'm not so sure, and I'm more concerned now than I was at any point last season. Just too many dispearing acts too frequently for this group.

Yep, agreed. I said in another thread that sometimes it feels like Kreider has to prop up Zibanejad when things are going south, and I’m sorry, it just shouldn’t be that way.

Zibanejad, when he is on, is lethal. He can go on tears that literally few others can in this league. But when things go south, he really feels the heat and it is noticeable. 

This is a very talented core. But yeah, no doubt. I also have my concerns about the mental fragility of some of the guys we need to be on if we ever expect to get over the hump.

• Like 1

Kreider was another guy I was extremely disappointed in. I know he had five or six goals in the series, but he was a no show in a few games, and that game seven performance? Woof. Putrid.

Here we are now on our third coach with these guys in a few years. I know Quinn and Gallant aren't that great, but still it's becoming a bad look to fans and even around the league.

5 hours ago, Flynn said:

I just want a guy that doesn't act like a High School Gym Teacher a year from retirement who just rolls a bunch of basketballs out in the gym while he sits in the corner drinking coffee waiting for the day to end. 

I want a coach.. who has a system... who has tactical sensibilities... who holds his guys accountable... who ever checks those boxes is great, don't care what the name is.   

He won't do?

The-Bad-News-Bears.jpg

• Bullseye 1
  • VINNY! 1

12 minutes ago, Pete said:

Imagine how good they'd be if they were playing for a coach who had their buy-in.

Agreed. I think it's particularly because he has no answer for when they get thwarted.

It's all good when they're winning and in full creative mode, but when they really get challenged, they can't respond, and didn't have a coach with an answer other than "try harder."

• Keeps it 100 1

Just now, Phil said:

Agreed. I think it's particularly because he has no answer for when they get thwarted.

It's all good when they're winning and in full creative mode, but when they really get challenged, they can't respond, and didn't have a coach with an answer other than "try harder."

or ask the other coaches

2 hours ago, Phil said:

Drury wanted one of Brind'Amour or Sullivan. Neither ended up available. Both re-signed, so the team went where it went.

1 hour ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Drury gets a pass from ownership for Gallant.  For most organizations, a GM gets one do-over with a new coach - and if that doesn't work out, the GM goes when the coach goes.  Dolan would have to tear his eyes away from the Knicks, so who knows if he would fire Drury if the next coach doesn't work out.  Since you can't fire a team, organizations keep trying GM/Coach combinations until they hit on one that works.  I'd suggest that there are few geniuses (and few idiots) and most of the coaches are right around league average (having superstars and talent = more wins).  Mostly there are educated guesses about what might be a system/philosophy/temperament match for a core group of players, but nobody knows until the hire is in place.

2 hours ago, fletch said:

Drury gets a pass from ownership for Gallant.  For most organizations, a GM gets one do-over with a new coach - and if that doesn't work out, the GM goes when the coach goes.  Dolan would have to tear his eyes away from the Knicks, so who knows if he would fire Drury if the next coach doesn't work out.  Since you can't fire a team, organizations keep trying GM/Coach combinations until they hit on one that works.  I'd suggest that there are few geniuses (and few idiots) and most of the coaches are right around league average (having superstars and talent = more wins).  Mostly there are educated guesses about what might be a system/philosophy/temperament match for a core group of players, but nobody knows until the hire is in place.

I think Gallants record with this team over two seasons is telling that they are missing a component to put them over the top but generally have their shit together. He had a ridiculous .6something win percentage. Way overachieving. Next coach should supplement what GG couldn't provide.