• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers, Gallant Agree to Part Ways

Phil

15 hours ago, CCCP said:

Kreider, Panarin, Kane, Miller, Fox, Chytil, Zibby all non-physical players.  Big Kakk isnt physical either.  

Cant much blame GG for 5 all stars failing to produce on PP. 

Defense wasnt bad in the POs. Aside from Miller sucking and Fox causing turnovers that we were scored upon, overall team defensive play was not too bad.  I think they were leading the league in GA.  

problem is the make up of the team which is fine for the regular season but not suitable for POs.  When more than half of your forwards are perimeter players, you get a first round exit.  No coach is going to make Panarin or Kane drive hard to the net

No, I definitely blame the players more for this series. Much more. Like maybe 90/10. I still think GG could have done better is all, despite the general make up of the team maybe not be conducive for playoff success. I still think his firing is justified. I have stated earlier that postseason flameouts like this one are very concerning, and I am worried about the core of this team.

As much as I have always liked Kane as a player, and I didn't hate getting him, he really wasn't what they needed. I looked around and saw teams get a Domi or a Bertuzzi or a Meier, and I'm thinking the Rangers should have gotten any one of those types of players instead. Would it have made a huge difference with how everyone else performed? Perhaps not, but Drury still wound up getting the shiny toy instead of things that were actually needed.

• Like 3
  • Keeps it 100 1

39 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

No, I definitely blame the players more for this series. Much more. Like maybe 90/10. I still think GG could have done better is all, despite the general make up of the team maybe not be conducive for playoff success. I still think his firing is justified. I have stated earlier that postseason flameouts like this one are very concerning, and I am worried about the core of this team.

As much as I have always liked Kane as a player, and I didn't hate getting him, he really wasn't what they needed. I looked around and saw teams get a Domi or a Bertuzzi or a Meier, and I'm thinking the Rangers should have gotten any one of those types of players instead. Would it have made a huge difference with how everyone else performed? Perhaps not, but Drury still wound up getting the shiny toy instead of things that were actually needed.

Seems like today’s players get tuned out very quickly and need a new coach every couple of years. Bunch of spoiled pansies. 

1 minute ago, CCCP said:

Seems like today’s players get tuned out very quickly and need a new coach every couple of years. Bunch of spoiled pansies. 

Agreed. I think that's throughout all sports. It does seem like there's more coach turnaround in hockey than the others, though, maybe it's just me.

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/ottawa-1200/chabot-the-time-to-make-people-feel-guilty-has-passed-we-need-to-move-forward-together-1.1958702

It's amazing I had not heard about this interview. What a spot on take by Chabot. Starts about 4 minute mark.

Paraphrasing Chabot re: Gallant and Rangers:

- The exit meeting wasn't very friendly

- The team made trades that didn't fit the style of hockey that they had

- Distracted by the shiny bubble at end of rainbow (Kane)

- A lot of criticism towards the coaching stuff; not a lot of criticism towards the GM

- Generally, if you have to make more than one move to strengthen your team in-season, you haven't done a very good job during the Summer (look at Leafs, Rangers, too many trades)

- Coaches get stuck re-arranging their whole lineup to accommodate players who don't fit in

Other comments during the interview (not Chabot):

- Watching the Rangers/Devils series, when the Rangers were bad "oh my God were they bad", and you felt like it was beyond coaching

- Individualistic players

- Difficult thing for a coaching staff to be in middle of

• VINNY! 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

Yup. It's why I keep coming back to the fact that whoever they hire doesn't really matter. This is a roster composition issue. They're built to be a highly creative, flashy regular season team, not a successful post-season club.

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

Yup. It's why I keep coming back to the fact that whoever they hire doesn't really matter. This is a roster composition issue. They're built to be a highly creative, flashy regular season team, not a successful post-season club.

How can we draw this conclusion when this group of players has never had structure?

46 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

How can we draw this conclusion when this group of players has never had structure?

I can only operate based on the information I have, no the information I don't. This is my prescription, so you're right that I should probably make that clearer, but it's how I feel. I just think they're built too much like the Leafs with too many shrinking violets to make the required difference when the game gets nasty.

26 minutes ago, Phil said:

I can only operate based on the information I have, no the information I don't. This is my prescription, so you're right that I should probably make that clearer, but it's how I feel. I just think they're built too much like the Leafs with too many shrinking violets to make the required difference when the game gets nasty.

But again absent a plan (from the players' own mouths), did they not make the required difference when the game got nasty last season essentially gutting their way to the ECF?  As @Pete has said many times, hard to judge the players when they've never had a real coach.  

3 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

But again absent a plan (from the players' own mouths), did they not make the required difference when the game got nasty last season essentially gutting their way to the ECF?  As @Pete has said many times, hard to judge the players when they've never had a real coach.  

Not to my estimation, no. They rode hotter than the sun goaltending as far as it would take them. Which is another aspect of the roster composition issue. Goaltending can't win you a series. No matter how much of a brick wall you have, the only thing they can do is keep you in games long enough for your scorers to make the difference, and the Rangers' scorers... don't.

I'm happy to be proven wrong when a new coach instills more structure, but I'm not exactly optimistic.

7 minutes ago, Phil said:

Not to my estimation, no. They rode hotter than the sun goaltending as far as it would take them. Which is another aspect of the roster composition issue. Goaltending can't win you a series. No matter how much of a brick wall you have, the only thing they can do is keep you in games long enough for your scorers to make the difference, and the Rangers' scorers... don't.

I'm happy to be proven wrong when a new coach instills more structure, but I'm not exactly optimistic.

Well that's not exactly true, but even if it were, there could be a number of reasons for it. One is coaching. That's the biggest thing. That's going to be addressed. So let's see where it goes. At this point, they don't have a choice.

1 minute ago, Phil said:

But we know the scores can score.  Last postseason in 20 games Zib had 10 goals and 24 points, Kreider had 10 goals Fox was over a ppg, Panarin had 16 points, Chytil had 7 goals. 

This year they dominated the Devils in the 3 games they won.  In the 4 games they lost where was the coach to fix their zone exits and entries?  You're essentially taking the GG approach.  The scorers need to score more....I'm not gonna tell them how though, they've just gotta do it.

31 minutes ago, Pete said:

Well that's not exactly true, but even if it were, there could be a number of reasons for it. One is coaching. That's the biggest thing. That's going to be addressed. So let's see where it goes. At this point, they don't have a choice.

Agreed. Entirely possible they do, but to this point, they haven't. Again, that's a better way for me to phrase it. I'm working from the information I have, and it just isn't very inspiring for likelihood of post-season success. I think they rely far too much on elite goaltending to take them deeper than they would otherwise get with average or even above average goaltending.

Coaching can 100% change the outcome, but right now, based on everything I've seen of this group, I just have very little faith they're built to go deep.

If I had a dollar for every time a player in a post game said we got away from our game and played way too much east/west vs north/south "we know what we have to do".  That's players deciding fuck it we're going to do whatever we want. Then when GG mixes the lines, because they're not playing the game he wants them to play he's wrong. I guess what he should of been doing is throwing these guys under the bus since day one, when they decided to do whatever the fuck they wanted to do. 

Yes there's were some players that said they could use help, the same ones who said they needed to play much better.  It was not too a man that said they needed help. Not every player came out and threw GG under the bus. It's equally if not more about composition, good for Gallant for his comment about all the talent in the world doesn't matter. Good for him for getting fired too. Now this core can tune out their third coach when they are told to play a way they really don't feel like playing.

They're regular season wonders.

• Like 2

All I know is that in game 7 nobody on the Rangers looked like they were willing to do whatever it took to win that game except for Igor and you don't win game 7's like that.

I think the talent is over-rated almost across the board.  A bunch of guys who can get their points doing what they want to do and that's what they do.

I love Mika Zibanejad but he had 4 even strength goals in 39 games against playoff teams last season and 14 even strength goals against non-playoff teams in 43 games.

Was he being used as a defensive matchup against the other teams top line against the tough teams?  No idea because the stats don't let me see the matchups.  He was +6 against the playoff teams with 4 goals scored and that kind of suggests he was playing the 200 foot game really hard and not looking at offense first in those games.

Edited by Br4d

31 minutes ago, jsrangers said:

If I had a dollar for every time a player in a post game said we got away from our game and played way too much east/west vs north/south "we know what we have to do".  That's players deciding fuck it we're going to do whatever we want. Then when GG mixes the lines, because they're not playing the game he wants them to play he's wrong. I guess what he should of been doing is throwing these guys under the bus since day one, when they decided to do whatever the fuck they wanted to do. 

Yes there's were some players that said they could use help, the same ones who said they needed to play much better.  It was not too a man that said they needed help. Not every player came out and threw GG under the bus. It's equally if not more about composition, good for Gallant for his comment about all the talent in the world doesn't matter. Good for him for getting fired too. Now this core can tune out their third coach when they are told to play a way they really don't feel like playing.

They're regular season wonders.

Post game interviews with the media =/= exit interviews with the GM.