• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Rangers Need a Right-Wing (Again)

The Dude

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

I just hate that we keep trying to solve top 6 RW at the deadline. 

I think this is a bigger problem then we might think. Having our top center have no consistency with line mates (expect Kreids to some degree) is not a winning strategy and I think that's a big reason for Mika's 5v5 production. He's had like 6 different RW's the last two seasons.

This is why I want Zib and Kakko to play together (for more than 5 games). He's basically the only long term top 6 RW option we have, so we need them to find some chemistry and be a solid top line for us. They got the potential, just need to let them work together and figure it out.

• VINNY! 1

7 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

I think this is a bigger problem then we might think. Having our top center have no consistency with line mates (expect Kreids to some degree) is not a winning strategy and I think that's a big reason for Mika's 5v5 production. He's had like 6 different RW's the last two seasons.

This is why I want Zib and Kakko to play together (for more than 5 games). He's basically the only long term top 6 RW option we have, so we need them to find some chemistry and be a solid top line for us. They got the potential, just need to let them work together and figure it out.

Agree. I think the lack of chemistry has a lot to do with playing style (Panarin/Tro) but even more that the lines were changed in period 2 if they aren't completely clicking out of the gate. 

Pick a lineup and stick with it for a month, within reason. No reason not to. 

• Bullseye 1
  • Applause 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Agree. I think the lack of chemistry has a lot to do with playing style (Panarin/Tro) but even more that the lines were changed in period 2 if they aren't completely clicking out of the gate. 

Pick a lineup and stick with it for a month, within reason. No reason not to. 

GG's problem was exactly that. He wanted to win individual games (not the worst idea). If they went on a short skid trying to gain chemistry and traction, it would be for the greater good. Drop a few to grow the team seems worth it. I think he was fearful for his job......and rightfully so.

Edited by jsm7302
  • Like 1

I still wouldn’t rule out keeping Kane at a discount. People can bitch all they want about him, but either a full camp and full summer of rest under his belt here would benefit. Or if he gets surgery and comes back healthy after a stay on LTIR would also help. If he’s willing to take a discount to stay, he’s our best and most logical answer.

2 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

GG's problem was exactly that. He wanted to win individual games (not the worst idea). If they went on a short skid trying to gain chemistry and traction, it would be for the greater good. Drop a few to grow the team seems worth it. I think he was fearful for his job......and rightfully so.

Yup, agreed. I got so frustrated this season when he'd switch the lines for a few games, saw success, then the team has one off game and he went right back to the same old same old. Whether it was Kreids/Tro or Zib/Kakko. 

Personally would love to see Pan/Zib/Kakko, and Kreids/Tro/Vesey. IMO that gives you 2 decent lines, with 2 different styles (Line 1 skill, line 2 north/south), which should make the team harder to play against.

Please, FFS, give these lines more than 5 games to gel.

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I still wouldn’t rule out keeping Kane at a discount. People can bitch all they want about him, but either a full camp and full summer of rest under his belt here would benefit. Or if he gets surgery and comes back healthy after a stay on LTIR would also help. If he’s willing to take a discount to stay, he’s our best and most logical answer.

5 minutes ago, siddious said:

I will forever be on the kane train 

Hold a seat for me on that train, and order me a beer!  😉

Kane looked hurt and I’m sure played hurt. But lets not forget that he put up 92 points on a bad Chicago team just a season ago. Whether it’s a full summer of rest and he comes back on a discount or he gets the surgery and goes on LTIR (still discounted contract), the Rangers can benefit here. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Phil said:

I'm with you ... if by Kane train you mean throwing him on the tracks.

Yet another opportunity where a thumbs down reaction would be useful.

with that said I don’t see him coming back here .. just no room for him cap wise 

5 minutes ago, siddious said:

Yet another opportunity where a thumbs down reaction would be useful.

with that said I don’t see him coming back here .. just no room for him cap wise 

Plus, can you even sign a guy who's been run over by an Amtrack?

• LOL 1

5 hours ago, Pete said:

They can't afford one by trading Lafreniere. 

If Lafrenière is getting anything close to 3 mill on his next deal (it's going to be around there or more), I believe some here have said they can swing that. So, that may be another caveat. Who ever they get, will have to be in that 3 mill gap. Probably would have to dump Goodrow too to secure a little cap space, which I'm not sure I want to do now, because this incoming player at the price the Rangers can afford,  isn't going to be that much better than Goodrow. 

The other solution is dealing Miller and I know you don't want to do that. That's likely atleast a 4 mill cap hit (on his up coming  deal) no matter what the term is. 

I didn't want to get into the realm of dealing Kreider,  Trouba or Panarin,  because I really don't think they are realistic discussions. 

Idk. Can they deal Trocheck already? 

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

If Lafrenière is getting anything close to 3 mill on his next deal (it's going to be around there or more), I believe some here have said they can swing that. So, that may be another caveat. Who ever they get, will have to be in that 3 mill gap. Probably would have to dump Goodrow too to secure a little cap space, which I'm not sure I want to do now, because this incoming player at the price the Rangers can afford,  isn't going to be that much better than Goodrow. 

The other solution is dealing Miller and I know you don't want to do that. That's likely atleast a 4 mill cap hit (on his up coming  deal) no matter what the term is. 

I didn't want to get into the realm of dealing Kreider,  Trouba or Panarin,  because I really don't think they are realistic discussions. 

Idk. Can they deal Trocheck already? 

why trading Kreider isnt a realistic idea?  I think he's very tradeable. Probably more realistic than anyone on the team right now. 

• Keeps it 100 1

5 hours ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

I think this is a bit overblown. I think that was said sometime during Kakko's rookie season and I don't think you'll find a single NHL player that wanted to play with rookie Kakko. He was literally among the worst skaters in the entire league that year. He's not the same player anymore.

I want Kakko on the right of Mika and I want Kreider with Trocheck.

Panarin - Zib - Kakko

Kreider - Trocheck - Vesey

Lafreniere - Chytil - X

X - Goodrow - Motte

It's ugly lol, but we don't have many options here.

The fact that Kakko really hasn't played much at all with Panarin in the last 4 years, kinda tells me, it's still something Panarin doesn't want to do. I dont recall seeing them together (save for a few shifts in the playoffs) this past season. Didn't happen last season as Dryden Dog shit Hunt was given the opportunity over him..  I think we would have seen it already if it wasn't an issue.  I believe it's a case of both players are at their best when the puck is on their stick.

I haven't like Kakko when he was given a long look with Kreider and Zibanejad this season. Just never got anything going. But maybe your combo works.  Maybe Panarin changes his game when put with 2 highly skilled players.  

I'll never agree on Vesey in the top 6.  Ever. 

5 minutes ago, CCCP said:

why trading Kreider isnt a realistic idea?  I think he's very tradeable. Probably more realistic than anyone on the team right now. 

A year away from NMC going to NTC. Guy has been great but plays a position of excess  in this org and we have other holes. Problem may be that Zib goes into a season long depression without CK20 here. We can't afford that. Kreids has shown up as of the past couple seasons more consistently than ANY of us ever though he would. 

Hell, look at the cats. They don't even have to have a great regular season. Just get into the tournament and see where it goes. This roster isn't going to do it though; changes must be made. 

IMO, the play is to test the market for Miller and Fox in a hockey 1 for 1 trade. We have the depth to do that. Or talk to Kreids about waiving that NMC. Everyone is gunna scream that I said Fox but ya know what. His half ass effort sometimes is beyond frustrating, and it was glaring in Game 7 of all games.

17 minutes ago, CCCP said:

Because he's paid accordingly and mostly does what expected of him. I don't think the Rangers are even thinking about trading him. 

He's very tradeable.  Teams would have interest.  I just feel like the organization is going to make him a lifer. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Kane looked hurt and I’m sure played hurt. But lets not forget that he put up 92 points on a bad Chicago team just a season ago. Whether it’s a full summer of rest and he comes back on a discount or he gets the surgery and goes on LTIR (still discounted contract), the Rangers can benefit here. 

I don't care. The focus moving forward needs to be to get faster and tougher, not slower and softer.

• Cheers 1
  • VINNY! 3
  • Keeps it 100 1

4 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Because he's paid accordingly and mostly does what expected of him. I don't think the Rangers are even thinking about trading him. 

He's very tradeable.  Teams would have interest.  I just feel like the organization is going to make him a lifer. 

if Drury is thinking about trading anyone, Kreider has to be in his mind too.  Just because other "big names" are untradeable. 

you're not going to move the needle by trading Goodrow. 

22 minutes ago, Phil said:

I don't care. The focus moving forward needs to be to get faster and tougher, not slower and softer.

And it will be. But you’re not gonna get there by completely pivoting positions every 3 seasons. First, we’re not talented enough. Then we’re too small, too slow. 

It’s requires a healthy mix. 

I think letting Kane walk if he’s willing to return for a song would be a bad move, and a knee jerk reaction to a bad playoff by everyone. Again, only if he’s willing to come back at an extreme discount. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

And it will be. But you’re not gonna get there by completely pivoting positions every 3 seasons. First, we’re not talented enough. Then we’re too small, too slow. 

It’s requires a healthy mix. 

I think letting Kane walk if he’s willing to return for a song would be a bad move, and a knee jerk reaction to a bad playoff by everyone. Again, only if he’s willing to come back at an extreme discount. 

Adding Kane perpetuates the same problem. Adding toughness to your fourth line is easy, and does very little to help when the team needs that help the most. In the playoffs. The whole point of targeting playoff grinders is that those grinders play high in your lineup. Look at Florida. Nick Cousins a "top-six forward" to you? Cause he's playing there. How about Sam Bennett, who everyone was laughing at when he got traded out of Calgary? The Tkachucks of the world are unicorns, but the approach Florida took to building their roster isn't — it's the same road map the Lightning and Avs did. Get faster and meaner, not slower and softer. Huberdeau set a fucking Panthers record for assists or points, whatever it was, and they dumped him at the drop of a dime when Tkachuk was made available. Rightfully, too. I'd do the same exact thing in the space between heartbeats if the same type of player was made available tomorrow and it were Panarin or Zibanejad going the other way. Thanks for the help, but we're going in another direction.

The approach you are looking at here is extremely Leafs-like. This team got snuffed out in the playoffs in the same way the Leafs did for the same reasons — they're supremely talented, but slow, and easy to smother when the game gets tight and extremely physical every spring/summer.

There's no "healthy" mix when you add Kane to this roster again, no matter how talented he is. We're right back to the same makeup, incapable of being functionally any different no matter how you stack the top-six pieces because the pieces are behavioral clones.

Thanks, but no thanks.

• Bullseye 1
  • VINNY! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Keeps it 100 2

The coach isn't changing the compositional issues at all. Mark Messier, Patrick Roy, or Patrick Marleau — if you give that coach this group of wallflowers, you'll get wallflower hockey come playoff time. Ten times out of ten. Gua-ron-teed.

• Keeps it 100 1

2 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

A year away from NMC going to NTC. Guy has been great but plays a position of excess  in this org and we have other holes. Problem may be that Zib goes into a season long depression without CK20 here. We can't afford that. Kreids has shown up as of the past couple seasons more consistently than ANY of us ever though he would. 

Hell, look at the cats. They don't even have to have a great regular season. Just get into the tournament and see where it goes. This roster isn't going to do it though; changes must be made. 

IMO, the play is to test the market for Miller and Fox in a hockey 1 for 1 trade. We have the depth to do that. Or talk to Kreids about waiving that NMC. Everyone is gunna scream that I said Fox but ya know what. His half ass effort sometimes is beyond frustrating, and it was glaring in Game 7 of all games.

I've mentioned it before.  I'd totally move Fox and cash the fuck in. Some say he's too vital to the team.  I dunno. Sometimes he is. 

With that said, I'd imagine he and Shesterkin are the only actual unavailable players on the roster in Drurys eyes. Can't really argue it either. 

• VINNY! 1