• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Rangers Need a Right-Wing (Again)

The Dude

1 minute ago, Phil said:

I mean, it works on paper, but Goodrow isn't nearly as effective as a top-six player. It feels like a patch, less like a solution.

I'm willing to throw out a lot of the past 2 years based on completely ineffective coaching. 

And even then, he hasn't really been that bad. His defensive play is terrible, yet he was getting trotted  out for defensive zone starts like 60% of the time. Start him in the ozone, what he's good at is helping keep teams pinned. 

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

I'm willing to throw out a lot of the past 2 years based on completely ineffective coaching. 

And even then, he hasn't really been that bad. His defensive play is terrible, yet he was getting trotted  out for defensive zone starts like 60% of the time. Start him in the ozone, what he's good at is helping keep teams pinned. 

Yeah, that's true, too. Plus, you know what you have in him. There's always more of a risk going outside to bring in an unknown, no matter how sexy it is on paper. See Trocheck, Vinny.

• Bullseye 1

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

Yeah, that's true, too. Plus, you know what you have in him. There's always more of a risk going outside to bring in an unknown, no matter how sexy it is on paper. See Trocheck, Vinny.

💯. The devil you know. 

9 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Not a fan of playing Lafraniere and Kakko with Zibby.   Rather leave them with Chytil if you’re playing them together. Why not try

Panarin-Zibby-Goodrow

Lafraniere-Chytil-Kakko

Kreider-Trochek-Vesey

Cuylle-Brodzinski-Motte

Nah, I don't like them all together.

Chytil deserves a shot with a better winger And the wingers deserve a shot with a better center. 

Maybe they do better with a better coach, but I see no reason to keep that right out of the gate. 

Edited by Pete

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

Chytil deserves a shot with a better winger And the wingers deserve a shot with a better center. 

Maybe they do better with a better coach, but I see no reason to keep that right out of the gate. 

I’m not a big fan of the kids together either but I like it better than Lafraniere on the first line.  
Jesper Froden was waived by the Crackheads.  Maybe he’s a player worth looking into?

22 minutes ago, Pete said:

I'm really curious to see how they look under a new voice and direction too, Pete.  I'm actually a pretty decent advocate of Goodrow.   He's a good net-front presence, and he seemed to get his stick on a few shots at the net....even potted a few deflection goals if I remember correctly.

If we want gritty, then he's one of the guys that has that "prick" label attached.  That's kinda why we got him, I think.

But yeah, I'm good with wiping the slate from what was done under Gallant.  Once we get our new coach in here, I think we're going to see a difference pretty quickly, once they adapt to a "system", and a role responsibility on their respective lines.

23 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

I’m not a big fan of the kids together either but I like it better than Lafraniere on the first line.  
Jesper Froden was waived by the Crackheads.  Maybe he’s a player worth looking into?

I don't know who that is.

I would give him a chance on the top line because I do agree we need to see what he is. I just don't think you need to move the best player on the roster to do it. 

I would give the lines I suggested are shot out of the gate. You can always change them. 

Edited by Pete

59 minutes ago, Pete said:

When you think about it.  When they played with vets they always deferred, because there was no set game plan and they didn't know what to do.  When they played together they looked their best because they free-wheeled more.  As we get out of free-wheeling and get an actual plan, where they know where their teammates are going, I'd expect to see better, more decisive play from all 3 of them.

• Believe 1

13 hours ago, Pete said:

The more I think about it, the more I think the move is to bring in a fourth line center or broadzinski, and move Goodrow into the top six wing. He's the prick you're all looking for. 

Lafreniere Zib Kakko

Panarin Chytil Goodrow

Kreider Trocheck Vesey

Cullye Brodzinski Motte

This way, your top nine is set but your fourth line is your weakness and if you need to improve it, you're looking for a fourth liner and not for a top six winger at the deadline

I know I brought it up, but I'm not sure my thinking is inline with Phil's. He's thinking prick to play in the top 6. Something equal to Fast. I'd say Goodrow is that. I just think they need a step above that. 

Goodrow hasn't looked good at all when slotted up here with the Rangers.  Late last season and I believe in the playoffs he did. I think Copp got hurt and Goodrow had a couple really good games offensively,  with some nice deflection/ tap in on the side of the net style goals. 

I've never been a big fan of Fast. I feel as though his grit is severely over exaggerated as is his offensive ability. 

I'm still thinking trading Lafrenière for a package that includes this desired RW is the must do move.  As I said earlier,  I'm guessing this players cap hit must be equal to what we think Lafrenière will get this summer. I'm guessing he's getting in the 3.5 mill range. 

When I can do a little research,  I'll look around and see what players line up in that price range. 

But. I'm going to throw a couple of names into the ring as free agents. 

Jason Zucker. Listed as a LW, pretty sure he spent a lot of time on the RW with Pitt.  Can score and is a fucking pain in the ass. 

Patric Hornqvist. Older now, but probably dirt cheap.  Always a guy I hated yet respected,  due to his will to take a beating in the crease 

Zucker is the free agent to target IMO. Still gotta trade Lafreniere though. Need his cap slot. 

• 4 weeks later...

At a trade discount or even after he's potentially bought out, how about Anthony Mantha? He's kinda fallen off a cliff and has had the injury bug. But any 6'5- 230 ILB, RW that has put up over 20 goals in the past should be looked into. 

https://detroithockeynow.com/2023/06/07/ex-detroit-red-wings-anthony-mantha-may-be-at-career-crossroads-washington-capitals-buyout-trade/