• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Peter Laviolette Is Next Rangers' Head Coach; Signs 3-Year Deal

Phil

There are reasons he keeps on getting hired.

There are reasons he keeps on getting fired.

I think the perception that he was not what Drury REALLY wanted but was about the only appropriate choice available will hang over him and repeatedly brought up, whenever we lose two straight.

There are reasons every coach gets hired and subsequently fired. lol The NHL in general has a high head coaching turnover rate. Look at his accomplishments compared to what the Rangers have had the last several years. lol C'mon. I was not happy when they hired Quinn, I was whelmed when they hired Gallant. Now they hire their first real coach in well over a decade and it's a huge problem?

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

I thought Drury was supposed to be a rising star, visionary GM?

- Cycling through retreads behind the bench

- Traded Buchnevich for nothing, creating a RW problem he still hasn't solved

- NMCs or heavy trade protection given out like candy

- Busted Nemeth signing that cost him a 2nd round pick to get out of; and he replaced Brendan Smith, who was better and cheaper

- Extended Reaves before he played a game

- Brought in a broken down Kane at the deadline - proved to be ineffective and too hurt

- Botched the Shesterkin contract; stuck either trading him or giving him an anchor contract within only 2 more years

Good moves

- Vatrano trade

- Tarasenko trade

- Chytil signing

Neutral

- Copp trade (worth it, but unnecessarily expensive)

Big bowl of MEH. Confidence is waning and I expect more vanilla moves this offseason.

• Like 3
  • The Chyt! 1

If they have another early exit next year, they'll have bigger problems than behind the bench. It may finally time for Chris to be on the hot seat. I think his seat should be a little warm, at the very least, this year. I'm not giving him a pass by any means. The Buchnevich thing is by far the worst of those moves. One of the worst moves by a Rangers GM in recent memory.

For Laviolette's sake he better get the team off to a good start b/c the fans will quickly turn on him AND on Drury next season.  Its quite apparent that this coaching hire is unlike any others, the fanbase won't get on the same page unless positive results are made.  

No doubt. A lot of ire from the fans from this past season's disaster. All management should have a short leash this year, as they should. Again, their seats should be feeling a little warmer. If they have another fuck up next year, you're talking much bigger problems than who's behind the bench. Then you're looking at balls to the walls organizational changes.

1 hour ago, Karan said:

I think it is kinda is, simply based on the fact that this guy has his own shortcomings different from Gallant's lol Pretty sure there'll be frustration over Laviolette's ways and some fans calling for his dismissal 6 months into his tenure and that simply comes from the expectations of where this team's currently at with regards to it's Cup window. 

Every coach has short comings. Sullivan is seen by many as the best in the game, but the knock on him is he is so demanding he wears guys (and coaches) out.

19 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

For Laviolette's sake he better get the team off to a good start b/c the fans will quickly turn on him AND on Drury next season.  Its quite apparent that this coaching hire is unlike any others, the fanbase won't get on the same page unless positive results are made.  

I don't think Dolan gives a rat's ass about the fans. He kept Sather around how long? He fired JD.

He isn't gonna pay GG for 3 more years, AND Drury, AND Laviolette.

20 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

No doubt. A lot of ire from the fans from this past season's disaster. All management should have a short leash this year, as they should. Again, their seats should be feeling a little warmer. If they have another fuck up next year, you're talking much bigger problems than who's behind the bench. Then you're looking at balls to the walls organizational changes.

If they fuck up again this year, it’s time to start looking in-house at the players instead of everyone upstairs or behind the bench. 

I like the hire. Laviolette is a good communicator. And when he needs to be, he’ll be fiery. He isn’t Tortorella where the atmosphere is walking on eggshells but it also won’t be a country club. I don’t think this group could handle a maybe too hands off guy in Gallant, and would never be able to handle a hands on guy like Tortorella. I feel this is like a meet-in-the-middle type. Laviolette brings structure, and has gone to 3 Finals in 3 different cities. He’s also been rather good earlier on in his stays in organizations, which would bode well for us given that we likely have a window of about 2 years with this current core in place.

Edited by RichieNextel305
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I thought Drury was supposed to be a rising star, visionary GM?

- Cycling through retreads behind the bench

- Traded Buchnevich for nothing, creating a RW problem he still hasn't solved

- NMCs or heavy trade protection given out like candy

- Busted Nemeth signing that cost him a 2nd round pick to get out of; and he replaced Brendan Smith, who was better and cheaper

- Extended Reaves before he played a game

- Brought in a broken down Kane at the deadline - proved to be ineffective and too hurt

- Botched the Shesterkin contract; stuck either trading him or giving him an anchor contract within only 2 more years

Good moves

- Vatrano trade

- Tarasenko trade

- Chytil signing

Neutral

Big bowl of MEH. Confidence is waning and I expect more vanilla moves this offseason.

- Cycling through retreads behind the bench — What you call a retread, the rest of us call "experienced". This is also not a negative. GG was the right coach at that time. He fucked himself.

- Traded Buchnevich for nothing, creating a RW problem he still hasn't solved — The RW problem was created by Kakko and Kravtsov sucking. Did he draft either of them?

- NMCs or heavy trade protection given out like candy — Name a GM who doesn't do this?

- Busted Nemeth signing that cost him a 2nd round pick to get out of; and he replaced Brendan Smith, who was better and cheaper — Fair

- Extended Reaves before he played a game — Fair

- Brought in a broken down Kane at the deadline - proved to be ineffective and too hurt — He took a flier and paid nothing for Kane, who was better than anyone on the roster at RW at the time.

- Botched the Shesterkin contract; stuck either trading him or giving him an anchor contract within only 2 more years — This is just dumb. Shesterkin has an agent who knows how to get max value. This deal doesn't happen in a vaccum.

Good moves

- Vatrano trade

- Tarasenko trade

- Chytil signing

Neutral

These are all good moves.

Drury has much more good than bad on his resume and it wasn't even close. His deadline deals alone are fantastic, he doesn't give up too much and gets what the team needs. What he gives up, he recoups (bye Nils!).

He's also only going into his third year. To expect every move to be magic is ridiculous.

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

• Phil changed the title to Peter Laviolette Is Next Rangers' Head Coach; Signs 3-Year Deal
1 hour ago, CCCP said:

how long of a leash should we give him?  1 season? 2 seasons? we just want to know

You answered your own question.

Window with this base group is next 2 seasons. 3 if they’re lucky. 

That, BTW, is true no matter who the HC is.

• Bullseye 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

- Cycling through retreads behind the bench — What you call a retread, the rest of us call "experienced". This is also not a negative. GG was the right coach at that time. He fucked himself.

- Traded Buchnevich for nothing, creating a RW problem he still hasn't solved — The RW problem was created by Kakko and Kravtsov sucking. Did he draft either of them?

- NMCs or heavy trade protection given out like candy — Name a GM who doesn't do this?

- Busted Nemeth signing that cost him a 2nd round pick to get out of; and he replaced Brendan Smith, who was better and cheaper — Fair

- Extended Reaves before he played a game — Fair

- Brought in a broken down Kane at the deadline - proved to be ineffective and too hurt — He took a flier and paid nothing for Kane, who was better than anyone on the roster at RW at the time.

- Botched the Shesterkin contract; stuck either trading him or giving him an anchor contract within only 2 more years — This is just dumb. Shesterkin has an agent who knows how to get max value. This deal doesn't happen in a vaccum.

Good moves

- Vatrano trade

- Tarasenko trade

- Chytil signing

Neutral

These are all good moves.

Drury has much more good than bad on his resume and it wasn't even close. His deadline deals alone are fantastic, he doesn't give up too much and gets what the team needs. What he gives up, he recoups (bye Nils!).

He's also only going into his third year. To expect every move to be magic is ridiculous.

Agreed. I think there’s no other franchise/fan base in the league that wouldn’t have happy with the position Drury put them in to win.

classic case of “you can lead a horse to water…”. He gave them the best opportunity to win. He can’t go out there and skate with them too, but he did everything he else in his power to give them the tools. It’s why the finish was so disappointing.

• Like 2