• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Phil Housley Named Associate Head Coach, Dan Muse, Michael Peca Named Assistant Coaches for Laviolette's Staff

Phil

14 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Oh man, that summer, it was like everyday. It was when we signed Gomez and Drury, and then dealt Cullen for space. It ended up not happening obviously, and Dubinsky made the team because of it.

Speaking of Dubinsky. I liked that guy. I think he fell on some hard times in Columbus. Hope he ended up alright.

When we signed Drury and Gomez everyone thought the cup was coming back to Broadway. Two top FA's that year. Haha What a joke that ended up being.

• Bullseye 1

3 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Speaking of Dubinsky. I liked that guy. I think he fell on some hard times in Columbus. Hope he ended up alright.

When we signed Drury and Gomez everyone thought the cup was coming back to Broadway. Two top FA's that year. Haha What a joke that ended up being.

The best part of the Gomez deal was trading him. Oh, the irony.

• Keeps it 100 1

4 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

Despite knowing how things turned out, I can still feel the hope emanating from this video. By far my favorite opening they’ve done. The bit with that generation’s “kids” always gets me in the feels.

The place was going nuts as this video showed at MSG. By far, the opening night with the biggest buzz I had ever seen. I still remember when we made the signings. The Gomez one was rumored all day that July 1, and that news broke first. And then, literally like just a few minutes later, news broke that it wasn’t just him, but Drury too. It was mayhem. Little before the days of Twitter.

Edited by RichieNextel305
  • Believe 1

1 minute ago, RichieNextel305 said:

The place was going nuts as this video showed at MSG. By far, the opening night with the biggest buzz I had ever seen. I still remember when we made the signings. The Gomez one was rumored all day that July 1, and that news broke first. And then, literally like just a few minutes later, news broke that it wasn’t just him, but Drury too. It was mayhem. Little before the days of Twitter.

I remember finding out they were letting go of Nylander from some kid during summer camp. I was not happy.

15 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Oh man, that summer, it was like everyday. It was when we signed Gomez and Drury, and then dealt Cullen for space. It ended up not happening obviously, and Dubinsky made the team because of it.

Yeah, cause he failed his physical.

3 hours ago, Drew a Penalty said:

Despite knowing how things turned out, I can still feel the hope emanating from this video. By far my favorite opening they’ve done. The bit with that generation’s “kids” always gets me in the feels.

My God.....thank you for sharing that.....great memories.....minus the whole Gomez sucking.

4 hours ago, Drew a Penalty said:

I remember finding out they were letting go of Nylander from some kid during summer camp. I was not happy.

Same. I would have preferred keeping Nylander and Jagr together, remember wanting Drury not necessarily Gomez.

Though I also didn't hate the signing initially.

8 minutes ago, H-Dreamer said:

Same. I would have preferred keeping Nylander and Jagr together, remember wanting Drury not necessarily Gomez.

Though I also didn't hate the signing initially.

I feel like either/or while keeping nylander was absolutely the play.

The last trade deadline felt very similar. Tarasenko and Kane?!?! Remanding Kakko back down the lineup. History does repeat itself. Broadway blue cannot help but chase the shiny object or in this case....objects.

1 hour ago, jsm7302 said:

My God.....thank you for sharing that.....great memories.....minus the whole Gomez sucking.

Gomez didn’t suck. Gomez led the team in scoring and was an All-Star year 1. He also was probably our best player in that series win against the Devils. 

Year 2, he kind of went back to his career norms. But Zherdev fell off a cliff after like November, and Naslund was older at that point too. I get it that it’s his job, as a playmaker, to make others better. But that 08-09 team was seriously lacking in talent. 

Drury was much worse as a player here than Gomez. And I loved Drury. He came here and fell apart, which we knew was inevitable because of the way he played.  

I feel like if he didn’t come from where he came from, the instinct wouldn’t be there to say “bust” because he wasn’t here long enough to even be considered that. He had the 2nd best year of his career here.

I never got calling Gomez or Holik busts. Overpaid? Sure. But again, Gomez came in, was an All-Star, led us in scoring and was a big piece of us dumping New Jersey, which was a big deal at the time. Then we flipped him for an enormous package. Holik came in, played fine, and was asked to play like 27 different roles (none of which were his style of play) on a team that was a complete joke at the time. I’ll say overpaid, but I wouldn’t say bust. Holik played fine and wore several hats on a brutally bad team that was horribly mismanaged. He was a no-doubt cap casualty once the lockout ended. His salary was absurd but it was also given when there was no cap.

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1