• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Phil Housley Named Associate Head Coach, Dan Muse, Michael Peca Named Assistant Coaches for Laviolette's Staff

Phil

The more I think about it the more I think Laviolette is going to have a conversation with Kreider about getting back to beast mode physically. He's one of the few on the roster that can bring that needed energy in the top 6.

Laviolette utilized a guy like Tom Wilson. I'm hoping he can get Kreider to play with that kind of attitude. Not necessarily the bully mentality,  but how physical and imposing he is as a player that can play the game.  Crash that net more. Gain attention.  No more good guy Kreider. 

Snarl and attitude has to be injected into the top lines for this transformation of team mentality (that Laviolette is eluding to), to occur. There are 3 guys already here that can possibly turn that on as forwards. That's Kreider, Trocheck and Goodrow.

I was starting to see a little push back and bull in a China shop style out of Kakko late last season.  While it's not exactly in line with what I was just mentioning,  but he is growing stronger and is gaining that will to want to fight through checks and not be pushed off the puck easily.  Lots of after whistle, standing up for himself and linemates type of interactions.  It's not much, but it's character building.  Gives him more layers to his game, which is needed. Hopefully he turns into a smarter version of Svechnikov, whom has had a pretty big chip on his shoulder for a while. 

Can Lafrenière bring it? I guess we'll see if he's not traded and it's sounding like he won't be. So let's go fatso. Get it together. No more excuses.  

On 6/21/2023 at 4:24 PM, Drew a Penalty said:

And there’s a strong emphasis on what the Rangers were lacking in. That first quote about knowing how to apply pressure properly is something the Rangers need to work on. They either didn’t support each other or did so in ways that weren’t anticipatory of the following play. Proper support goes a long way.

Miller needs to do less of this particularly in his own zone away from the crease.

Either that or they need to switch him to a forward spot and let him do what he does naturally.  One or the other.

4 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Miller needs to do less of this particularly in his own zone away from the crease.

Either that or they need to switch him to a forward spot and let him do what he does naturally.  One or the other.

Miller chases because the forwards don’t support well enough. Miller isn’t the only one to do so either. Trouba and Schneider are both guilty of chasing and conceding the slot. It’s a lack of awareness from all parties. If both of your defensemen are out of the slot, you should have a center smart enough to know to cover.

• Like 1

Just now, Drew a Penalty said:

Miller chases because the forwards don’t support well enough. Miller isn’t the only one to do so either. Trouba and Schneider are both guilty of chasing and conceding the slot. It’s a lack of awareness from all parties. If both of your defensemen are out of the slot, you should have a center smart enough to know to cover.

The examples that stick out in my mind are Miller rushing over to join Zibanejad or Goodrow in the corner.  That's definitely not a good move because not only are you out of position but one of the guys most likely to cover for you in a pass back to the slot is there also and you went in after him.

28 minutes ago, Br4d said:

The examples that stick out in my mind are Miller rushing over to join Zibanejad or Goodrow in the corner.  That's definitely not a good move because not only are you out of position but one of the guys most likely to cover for you in a pass back to the slot is there also and you went in after him.

You’re far too preoccupied with Miller. It’s an epidemic on the Rangers, he’s not the sole contributor.

10 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

You’re far too preoccupied with Miller. It’s an epidemic on the Rangers, he’s not the sole contributor.

I'm preoccupied with Miller because he's the most obvious individual on the Rangers who just doesn't do his primary job very well.

I don't think the Rangers should trade him.  But I do think they need to give him a continuous course in how to play defense in the NHL because he clearly does not know how to do that at this point.

It makes sense given that he was a high school conversion from center to defense and probably hasn't had more than a couple of years running with any particular coaches or system since then.  The fundamentals are not easy to learn if you're trying to pick up the advanced systems that overlie them on the fly.

When he abandons the crease he is committing one of the most important errors a defenseman can make, potentially leaving his goalie one on one in front with an opposing forward.  That turns into goals for the other team and not theoretically since we've seen it happen over and over again when Miller is on the ice.

• Like 1

Just now, Br4d said:

I'm preoccupied with Miller because he's the most obvious individual on the Rangers who just doesn't do his primary job very well.

I don't think the Rangers should trade him.  But I do think they need to give him a continuous course in how to play defense in the NHL because he clearly does not know how to do that at this point.

It makes sense given that he was a high school conversion from center to defense and probably hasn't had more than a couple of years running with any particular coaches or system since then.  The fundamentals are not easy to learn if you're trying to pick up the advanced systems that overlie them on the fly.

When he abandons the crease he is committing one of the most important errors a defenseman can make, potentially leaving his goalie one on one in front with an opposing forward.  That turns into goals for the other team and not theoretically since we've seen it happen over and over again when Miller is on the ice.

This is all perfectly fair. But again, he’s not the only guilty party. I can’t tell you how many times I saw Schneider do the same, and he’s not a converted forward. This is something the team needs to work on. I hope Miller especially improves because he’s so loaded with potential.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

This is all perfectly fair. But again, he’s not the only guilty party. I can’t tell you how many times I saw Schneider do the same, and he’s not a converted forward. This is something the team needs to work on. I hope Miller especially improves because he’s so loaded with potential.

Miller looks worse because of his partner. He chases because his partner blows coverage left and right as well, they are a total mess as reflected by their underlying stats, and the standard defensive metrics to be fair. 

Fully on board with the Miller Fox pairing and move Lindgren to the second pair to stabilize. 

• VINNY! 1

This is easily our best assembled coaching staff since the Torts staff, and it seems like everyone took an honest assessment of what this roster needs when it comes to how the staff as a whole was assembled. I’m intrigued to see how this season differs from years past, but I’m also disappointed the two highest drafted players this organization has had in generations spent wasted years with the prior staffs. The rangers were happy to pick them, and content with hanging them out to fry with subpar coaching, especially during the pandemic when guys like Laf had no choice but to play in the nhl. 

• JIMMY! 1

4 hours ago, Pete said:

Miller looks worse because of his partner. He chases because his partner blows coverage left and right as well, they are a total mess as reflected by their underlying stats, and the standard defensive metrics to be fair. 

Fully on board with the Miller Fox pairing and move Lindgren to the second pair to stabilize. 

Miller gets very shaky when the puck suddenly winds up on his stick in front of his own goal.  It's like he doesn't have the instinct to clear the puck up the boards under pressure.

We all complain about the defensemen whose first instinct is to bang it up the boards when they get challenged but the alternative is often worse.

Edited by Br4d

13 hours ago, The Dude said:

The more I think about it the more I think Laviolette is going to have a conversation with Kreider about getting back to beast mode physically. He's one of the few on the roster that can bring that needed energy in the top 6.

Year 10 of "Maybe Kreider finally could become the physical beast we all hoped he would be".

I'm not holding my breath lol.

12 hours ago, Rizz GAWD Lav No Cap FrFr said:

This is easily our best assembled coaching staff since the Torts staff, and it seems like everyone took an honest assessment of what this roster needs when it comes to how the staff as a whole was assembled. I’m intrigued to see how this season differs from years past, but I’m also disappointed the two highest drafted players this organization has had in generations spent wasted years with the prior staffs. The rangers were happy to pick them, and content with hanging them out to fry with subpar coaching, especially during the pandemic when guys like Laf had no choice but to play in the nhl. 

Best assembled coaching staff since then and Laviolette is the best coach we've had since Torts too.

10 hours ago, Br4d said:

Miller gets very shaky when the puck suddenly winds up on his stick in front of his own goal.  It's like he doesn't have the instinct to clear the puck up the boards under pressure.

You're not throwing the puck up the boards when you're in front of your own net. That's not the play.

And just throwing it up the boards when the winger isn't there is basically a giveaway. Maybe if there was a system where a winger knew where to be and a defenseman knew where to put the puck...

We all complain about the defensemen whose first instinct is to bang it up the boards when they get challenged but the alternative is often worse.

Banging it up the boards is a bad zone exit. It creates a 50/50 puck in the neutral zone most times. The idea is to exit and enter zones with control of the puck. A defenseman's first instinct should be to get the puck up to a winger. But it's hard to do that when the wingers are never in the same spot, because the wingers don't know where to be, because there is no system. 

I'm pretty confident this is all going to change this season. 

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

You're not throwing the puck up the boards when you're in front of your own net. That's not the play.

And just throwing it up the boards when the winger isn't there is basically a giveaway. Maybe if there was a system where a winger knew where to be and a defenseman knew where to put the puck...

Banging it up the boards is a bad zone exit. It creates a 50/50 puck in the neutral zone most times. The idea is to exit and enter zones with control of the puck. A defenseman's first instinct should be to get the puck up to a winger. But it's hard to do that when the wingers are never in the same spot, because the wingers don't know where to be, because there is no system. 

This was most clearly illustrated during the NJ/Carolina series, probably because I was watching for it, more than anything.  😉

Carolina had a very distinct system of zone exits, and NJ couldn't even apply hardly any forecheck due to the Canes ability to not only control the puck, but exit their own zone quickly.  This put tons of pressure on the Devils defenseman, which we saw in our own series, that they couldn't handle very well.  That was pretty much one of the main reasons we trounced them in Games 1 and 2 on their own ice.  It caused them to make turnovers and take penalties, which we converted on very well.

I totally agree this is going to be more of what we see with Laviolette at the helm this season.  Banking it off the boards should be our last resort of how to get out of trouble, not our first choice.

• Bullseye 2

5 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

This was most clearly illustrated during the NJ/Carolina series, probably because I was watching for it, more than anything.  😉

Carolina had a very distinct system of zone exits, and NJ couldn't even apply hardly any forecheck due to the Canes ability to not only control the puck, but exit their own zone quickly.  This put tons of pressure on the Devils defenseman, which we saw in our own series, that they couldn't handle very well.  That was pretty much one of the main reasons we trounced them in Games 1 and 2 on their own ice.  It caused them to make turnovers and take penalties, which we converted on very well.

I totally agree this is going to be more of what we see with Laviolette at the helm this season.  Banking it off the boards should be our last resort of how to get out of trouble, not our first choice.

Yea, I don't think @Br4d assessment of Miller's play is necessarily wrong especially as he's taking into account Miller's switch from forward to defense later than most other defensemen, I just think the player needs to be coached. I don't think it's a case where we just say Miller is terrible at defense, you have to move him or you have to switch his position. That's excessive. You don't just give up on players with his skill set. 

Just now, Pete said:

Yea, I don't think @Br4d assessment of Miller's play is necessarily wrong especially as he's taking into account Miller's switch from forward to defense later than most other defensemen, I just think the player needs to be coached. I don't think it's a case where we just say Miller is terrible at defense, you have to move him or you have to switch his position. That's excessive. You don't just give up on players with his skill set. 

Oh definitely not wrong, but I think K' has all the tools.  I just think he's been handed a tough hand not having anyone to guide/coach him to be the player he can be.  I know you go back a ways as well, and remember Housely being the defenseman he was.  I think he will be a very good teacher, not only for Miller, but Zac as well.

I always make reference to Foxy reminding me of Housely...funny how that's the guy we end up with, huh?  LOL

I got a kick outta that one!  I always liked Housely and wished we had him, and them we went and got Leetchy....kinda made me forget a little about Housley, but I still thought he was a fabulous player.

• Keeps it 100 1

• Phil changed the title to Phil Housley Named Associate Head Coach, Dan Muse, Michael Peca Named Assistant Coaches for Laviolette's Staff
2 hours ago, Pete said:

Zone entries with the puck on the stick is largely taken away in the playoffs. That’s the strategy the team can’t get away from, with some obvious repeat offenders. The kid line doesn’t have an issue adjusting, ironically. They just had an issue capitalizing on their chances.

The team’s exit strategy has been to encourage stretch passes out of the zone. The wingers are more towards the top of the zone or in the neutral zone when the defensemen have the puck or are retrieving the puck. That’s been the system for a while now…looking for fast break stretch passes to counter the opposition’s forecheck.

We can debate about it not being the right strategy or the right system, and adjusting when it’s not there, but it’s easier said than done to change when guys like Panarin are used to hanging near the top looking for odd man breaks instead of dropping all the way down to the dots to help support the defensemen. That’s why Panarin needs specific linemates, so he can do what he wants rather than adjust his game as needed by the team.