• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Phil Housley Named Associate Head Coach, Dan Muse, Michael Peca Named Assistant Coaches for Laviolette's Staff

Phil

48 minutes ago, siddious said:

I guess it’s official?

Been trying to figure out what his role was as an assistant in the A. Haven't found much in a couple quick Google searches.  

But I found this from Buffalos development camp from last season. I like what he has to say about a few things. Very down to earth and real. Seems to understand that you can find other things that younger players are capable of,  including changing positions, how to be productive away from the puck, working on faceoff skills. 

What's scary is, he was part of Washington's player development in 21. They haven't been pumping out many young players in Washington. Hopefully that was more on the scouts than on the staff. 

1 hour ago, jsm7302 said:

Now for the real question that everyone is asking.......who is taking over for Jim Ramsay?

The real question is actually why was he let go 

anyone know what time the presser is scheduled for? I assume it’ll be on msg

Edited by siddious
  • Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

10 hours ago, siddious said:

If you watch the video I posted, Peca has the ability to get players to believe that they are different players than they think they are.  Both positionally (wing or center) and mentally as in taking a step back and realizing their role can be something different than what they were drafted as, and that the teams success is more important than trying to do something that isn't working or a fit for the team.  AKA making your niche to get your foot in the door as a real contributing factor.  

Just odd Laviolette didn't mention Peca  in the presser, when asked who his assistants are.   Kinda said they are still looking.  

So is Peca an assistant on the bench? Or is he some special development coach for the season? 

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

If you watch the video I posted, Peca has the ability to get players to believe that they are different players than they think they are.  Both positionally (wing or center) and mentally as in taking a step back and realizing their role can be something different than what they were drafted as, and that the teams success is more important than trying to do something that isn't working or a fit for the team.  AKA making your niche to get your foot in the door as a real contributing factor.  

Just odd Laviolette didn't mention Peca  in the presser, when asked who his assistants are.   Kinda said they are still looking.  

So is Peca an assistant on the bench? Or is he some special development coach for the season? 

My guess is they’re looking for the other assistant and peca hasn’t been made official 

• VINNY! 1

I think you're right, Pete...This is posted on Wikipedia:

Michael Anthony Peca (born March 26, 1974) is a Canadian former professional ice hockey forward who played in the National Hockey League (NHL) for the Vancouver Canucks, Buffalo Sabres, New York Islanders, Edmonton Oilers, Toronto Maple Leafs, and the Columbus Blue Jackets. Peca served as the Washington Capitals player development coach and is currently an assistant coach for the New York Rangers.

21 minutes ago, Pete said:

@Ozzy missed out on Quennville but may get Housley.

An old fave of mine!!

Dude, does Fox remind you of him too?  I swear it's like watching #6 when he was in Buffalo!

I think he'd be GREAT for Zac!

Edited by Ozzy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I think you're right, Pete...This is posted on Wikipedia:

Michael Anthony Peca (born March 26, 1974) is a Canadian former professional ice hockey forward who played in the National Hockey League (NHL) for the Vancouver Canucks, Buffalo Sabres, New York Islanders, Edmonton Oilers, Toronto Maple Leafs, and the Columbus Blue Jackets. Peca served as the Washington Capitals player development coach and is currently an assistant coach for the New York Rangers.

i bet The Dude wrote that in wikipedia.  Also in the wikipedia there's also a description of Julien Gauthier as the best NHL player ever to not be given a chance to succeed.  So i'm not sure how reliable Wiki is

• LMFAO 5

15 minutes ago, CCCP said:

i bet The Dude wrote that in wikipedia.  Also in the wikipedia there's also a description of Julien Gauthier as the best NHL player ever to not be given a chance to succeed.  So i'm not sure how reliable Wiki is

I think he wrote the part for Laviolette!

@The Dude  Hey man!  Your man is off to a good start with his initial presser.  Hopefully we can get this to play out well on the ice sooner than later.  But I'm digging his approach.

I’m really intrigued by this hire. He started off as a video coach and has kept progressing up the ranks.

In recent years, one of the terms that has become part of a hockey coaches vocabulary is “second quicks”.

It refers to a second player’s ability to assist a teammate regaining or maintaining possession of the puck by quickly outnumbering the opposition.

In theory, it’s straightforward, however as our game has evolved so have the strategies and details that go into executing various tactics. For example, you don’t screen the goalie, you take away the goalie’s eyes. And while it’s obvious that outnumbering the opponent in puck battles is an advantage, how players are taught to read and react in these situations, along with how they work together to efficiently win possession of the puck is the key.

At TCS Live, Dan Muse, who is a Head Coach with the USA Hockey’s National Team Development Program, and who will oversee the U18 team next season, is going to deliver a presentation on The Importance of the Second Player in Puck Support and Puck Pressure. In it he’ll discuss the role of the “second quick” or second player plays in supporting the puck and applying pressure, and how he develops these skills in practice and with the use of video.

https://thecoachessite.com/usa-hockey-ntdp-coach-dan-muse-at-tcs-live/

What do you enjoy the most about working with Dan Muse?

Just learning from him. He’s a tireless worker. He’s at the rink all day. And he’s a good communicator, in the sense that he has a very open-door policy. I like that part. The kids are in there and he is telling the truth. That’s very important, especially in this day and age. where communication is so key for these players. Seeing his work ethic and his communication ability is something I’ll take away with me forever.

https://www.iihf.com/en/events/2023/wm18/news/43158/rookie_coach_brings_voice_of_experience

I think we’re still waiting on one more hire. If the reports from Friedge earlier are correct, it’ll be Phil Housley.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Drew a Penalty said:

I’m really intrigued by this hire. He started off as a video coach and has kept progressing up the ranks.

https://www.iihf.com/en/events/2023/wm18/news/43158/rookie_coach_brings_voice_of_experience

I think we’re still waiting on one more hire. If the reports from Friedge earlier are correct, it’ll be Phil Housley.

There's nothing not to like here from Lavvy so far.

Forget the hard-ass stuff you read from Uncle Larry. That's just noise.

They will be coached.

• Keeps it 100 1

26 minutes ago, Pete said:

There's nothing not to like here from Lavvy so far.

Forget the hard-ass stuff you read from Uncle Larry. That's just noise.

They will be coached.

And there’s a strong emphasis on what the Rangers were lacking in. That first quote about knowing how to apply pressure properly is something the Rangers need to work on. They either didn’t support each other or did so in ways that weren’t anticipatory of the following play. Proper support goes a long way.

• Like 2