• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Phil Housley Named Associate Head Coach, Dan Muse, Michael Peca Named Assistant Coaches for Laviolette's Staff

Phil

5 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I think he wrote the part for Laviolette!

@The Dude  Hey man!  Your man is off to a good start with his initial presser.  Hopefully we can get this to play out well on the ice sooner than later.  But I'm digging his approach.

I was more excited before that presser.

These assistant hires are sounding like they are a bit progressive thinking and geared more towards today's pros.  Obviously they have history with Laviolette,  so that's good. I'm not going to act like I knew they were his guys in Nashville. I'm glad people are realizing what and who has worked with Laviolette in the past as well as their accomplishments. The guy means business. 

Hopefully it's not all analytics driven nonsense that Muse brings to the table and these guys can atleast judge on the proverbial eye test and have a feel for the pulse of the team. 

I hope they find a job for Peca though. Maybe assistant in Hartford? Another player development gig? 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, The Dude said:

These assistant hires are sounding like they are a bit progressive thinking and geared more towards today's pros.  Obviously they have history with Laviolette,  so that's good. I'm not going to act like I knew they were his guys in Nashville. I'm glad people are realizing what and who has worked with Laviolette in the past as well as their accomplishments. The guy means business. 

Hopefully it's not all analytics driven nonsense that Muse brings to the table and these guys can atleast judge on the proverbial eye test and have a feel for the pulse of the team. 

I hope they find a job for Peca though. Maybe assistant in Hartford? Another player development gig? 

Gallant had 3 assistants so it’s not out of this world that lavs will too.

he’s a boring public speaker but I can’t imagine what you might have heard in that press conference that you didn’t like 

3 hours ago, The Dude said:

Hopefully it's not all analytics driven nonsense that Muse brings to the table and these guys can at least judge on the proverbial eye test and have a feel for the pulse of the team. 

Looking for a good mix....it's early yet!  Lots of Boogieing to do before they drop the puck for Game 1

8 hours ago, siddious said:

Gallant had 3 assistants so it’s not out of this world that lavs will too.

he’s a boring public speaker but I can’t imagine what you might have heard in that press conference that you didn’t like 

I'm nit picking. It was very robotic and in a separate interview with Maloney he gave the same exact scripted answers almost word for word. 

I've wanted Laviolette here since before AV. Trust me. I'm a little stoked. I'm just nervous that part of the long extensive interview process was more to do with him deciding if he can work with Drury,  or if he has to be a yes man and do what Drury says. But with 2 of his former assistants coming in, I'm a bit relieved in thinking he has full control.  

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

I'm nit picking. It was very robotic and in a separate interview with Maloney he gave the same exact scripted answers almost word for word. 

I've wanted Laviolette here since before AV. Trust me. I'm a little stoked. I'm just nervous that part of the long extensive interview process was more to do with him deciding if he can work with Drury,  or if he has to be a yes man and do what Drury says. But with 2 of his former assistants coming in, I'm a bit relieved in thinking he has full control.  

What if it's not scripted and those are just his answers?

For what it's worth, I didn't find him to be scripted or robotic. He had some prepared remarks, and then he answered some questions. He was well prepared. 

Also could care less about any lack of charisma. He's here to do a job. Everybody loved GG in the beginning, and then when the going got rough and he wouldn't answer questions, told the press that they should go talk to the other coaches, continually said he was doing his job and that was all he was responsible to do, that got old quick. 

To me, he looked like a guy who's eager to get to work and didn't want to waste time in pressers. 

Edited by Pete
  • VINNY! 1

3 hours ago, The Dude said:

2 hours ago, Pete said:

What if it's not scripted and those are just his answers?

For what it's worth, I didn't find him to be scripted or robotic. He had some prepared remarks, and then he answered some questions. He was well prepared. 

Also could care less about any lack of charisma. He's here to do a job. Everybody loved GG in the beginning, and then when the going got rough and he wouldn't answer questions, told the press that they should go talk to the other coaches, continually said he was doing his job and that was all he was responsible to do, that got old quick. 

To me, he looked like a guy who's eager to get to work and didn't want to waste time in pressers. 

@The Dude...

Dude man!!  I think you're over-thinking it a little.  No sweat man...I didn't think he was robotic either.  He said the basic shit that needed to be said.  But the main thing here in NY is "It's not what you say...IT'S WHAT YOU DON'T SAY!".

I'll let Lavvy strut his shit in training camp, and continue to build this squad into a killer franchise again.  We're close now...closer than a lot of folks believe we are, I think.

Your man has this by the throat, and I think Drury is gonna work in lock step with him to put the pieces in place to really give this fucker a go this season!

Hang tough my brutha...we got this!!!  😃

• Cheers 1

Yeah man, we are close. I feel like the only thing that's been lacking with this group is real coaching. Do they have other flaws? Absolutely, but I'm going to reserve judgement until I see how they do with some guidance and structure. Three years of David Quinn and two of Gallant ain't it. Laviolette has won the big prize and taken three different teams to the Cup final. That is an incredible feat in this day and age.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

@The Dude...

Dude man!!  I think you're over-thinking it a little.  No sweat man...I didn't think he was robotic either.  He said the basic shit that needed to be said.  But the main thing here in NY is "It's not what you say...IT'S WHAT YOU DON'T SAY!".

I'll let Lavvy strut his shit in training camp, and continue to build this squad into a killer franchise again.  We're close now...closer than a lot of folks believe we are, I think.

Your man has this by the throat, and I think Drury is gonna work in lock step with him to put the pieces in place to really give this fucker a go this season!

Hang tough my brutha...we got this!!!  😃

10 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Yeah man, we are close. I feel like the only thing that's been lacking with this group is real coaching. Do they have other flaws? Absolutely, but I'm going to reserve judgement until I see how they do with some guidance and structure. Three years of David Quinn and two of Gallant ain't it. Laviolette has won the big prize and taken three different teams to the Cup final. That is an incredible feat in this day and age.

I Don't know how close they are, but they absolutely have all the ingredients. Elite number one center, elite defenseman, elite goalie, one of the highest scoring left wing since he signed his contract. 

This group has underperformed in the playoffs, but a good coach will get a team with flaws to come together and be more than the sum of their parts. With Gallant they too many times underperformed, especially in the playoffs, especially this season. People conveniently forget that this team was one borderline hit from Trouba away from going home in five games last playoff. 

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

We actually have a coaching staff now. Nice!

And well worth the wait. I don't think I've ever been so intrigued for the season to start just based on the coaching. I don't even care if they change the roster at all.

I know some people have a bias against certain players, but you can tell this staff was assembled to address specific flaws that were evident last year.

Housely: Zone entries and exits

Muse: Own zone coverage and supporting the puck, situational awareness and "where to go when" 

Peca: player development (meaning, you might not be the guy you were in Junior or in Europe, but this is the guy you could be here), battle level.

And most of all communication. The revelations coming out of Vince's pod about the lack of communication between the coaches and the players during Gallant's tenure is embarrassing. 

Edited by Pete
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

It really is. When you have all the players basically saying, 'please help us', during their exit interviews, what else can you say? I don't think you can have a bigger red flag.

Crazy that he was making more money than some of the players to dick around all day and do nothing but fuck around with the lineup. 

Loved that Lavs said they'll have a playoff attitude from day one. That was sorely missing from Gallant's messaging. 

He's like the parent who sits at the table all day drinking coffee and reading the newspaper while the kids are off the rails... Never looking up from the paper and just saying "you'll be sorry one day"... With no other effort to address the behavior... And then he wonders why the kids wound up in jail as he sits there and says he was doing his job... And the kids defense at trial was "I never had guardrails growing up, there were no rules, so I just thought all this shit was cool."

Edited by Pete

33 minutes ago, Pete said:

And well worth the wait. I don't think I've ever been so intrigued for the season to start just based on the coaching. I don't even care if they change the roster at all.

I know some people have a bias against certain players, but you can tell this staff was assembled to address specific flaws that were evident last year.

Muse: Own zone coverage and supporting the puck, situational awareness and "where to go when" 

Peca: player development (meaning, you might not be the guy you were in Junior or in Europe, but this is the guy you could be here), battle level.

And most of all communication. The revelations coming out of Vince's pod about the lack of communication between the coaches and the players during Gallant's tenure is embarrassing. 

It's looking like a really good mix of what we really need.  I gotta give Drury some serious credit for taking his time and putting this together correctly, in my opinion.  This roster is good.  Can it use some tweaking?  Sure....what roster doesn't?  I trust we now have the coaching pieces in place to get this train back on the track. 

I'm am really pumped to get it going again!  Feels like I haven't seen the Rangers play in 10 years already!!  LOL

24 minutes ago, Pete said:

Crazy that he was making more money than some of the players to dick around all day and do nothing but fuck around with the lineup. 

Loved that Lavs said they'll have a playoff attitude from day one. That was sorely missing from Gallant's messaging. 

He's like the parent who sits at the table all day drinking coffee and reading the newspaper while the kids are off the rails... Never looking up from the paper and just saying "you'll be sorry one day"... With no other effort to address the behavior... And then he wonders why the kids wound up in jail as he sits there and says he was doing his job... And the kids defense at trial was "I never had guardrails growing up, there were no rules, so I just thought all this shit was cool."

Exactly. It used to piss me off so much during post game pressers where he's like, "I don't know, go ask the coaches". Like...what!? No dude, you are the head coach, you answer the questions and you do the planning (hypothetically). If I was a player on that team, I'd be calling for help too. You can be a player's coach to a degree, that part is fine. But you still need a game plan. "Go out there and do whatever you think is right" won't cut it.

• Bullseye 1
  • Applause 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

4 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

It's looking like a really good mix of what we really need.  I gotta give Drury some serious credit for taking his time and putting this together correctly, in my opinion.  This roster is good.  Can it use some tweaking?  Sure....what roster doesn't?  I trust we now have the coaching pieces in place to get this train back on the track. 

I'm am really pumped to get it going again!  Feels like I haven't seen the Rangers play in 10 years already!!  LOL

Dude, this offseason has been brutal already. We're going to be dying come late July/early August.

• LMFAO 1
  • VINNY! 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

3 hours ago, Pete said:

Just give us the cup!!   On paper we already won. Just need Zibby and Panarin to show up in the playoffs. 

Edited by CCCP
  • LMFAO 1

6 hours ago, Pete said:

Were you....  "the kids"? 

Hug?