• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Phil Housley Named Associate Head Coach, Dan Muse, Michael Peca Named Assistant Coaches for Laviolette's Staff

Phil

15 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Zone entries with the puck on the stick is largely taken away in the playoffs. That’s the strategy the team can’t get away from, with some obvious repeat offenders. The kid line doesn’t have an issue adjusting, ironically. They just had an issue capitalizing on their chances.

The team’s exit strategy has been to encourage stretch passes out of the zone. The wingers are more towards the top of the zone or in the neutral zone when the defensemen have the puck or are retrieving the puck. That’s been the system for a while now…looking for fast break stretch passes to counter the opposition’s forecheck.

We can debate about it not being the right strategy or the right system, and adjusting when it’s not there, but it’s easier said than done to change when guys like Panarin are used to hanging near the top looking for odd man breaks instead of dropping all the way down to the dots to help support the defensemen. That’s why Panarin needs specific linemates, so he can do what he wants rather than adjust his game as needed by the team.

Right, right.  Panarin just can't be coached.  Even though he played half his career for Quenneville and Torts.  It sure doesn't have anything to do with GG.  All Panarin's fault.

Just now, Long live the King said:

Right, right.  Panarin just can't be coached.  Even though he played half his career for Quenneville and Torts.  It sure doesn't have anything to do with GG.  All Panarin's fault.

I don't get the point here. Was he a different(better) player under those two coaches? His box stats were better under GG and he's never had a deep playoff run where he was influential under any of these coaches.

He's been the same players his entire career.

4 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Well Chicago traded him after two seasons and he left Torts after two seasons the first chance he got, so that’s a really strong example you’ve got about how coachable he is.

5 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

I don't get the point here. Was he a different(better) player under those two coaches? His box stats were better under GG and he's never had a deep playoff run where he was influential under any of these coaches.

He's been the same players his entire career.

He's been the same player his entire career?  So as the original post said, you think Torts just let him do whatever he wanted without being defensively responsible?

He's been the same player his entire career?  So as the original post said, you think Torts just let him do whatever he wanted without being defensively responsible?

I'm guessing Torts tried, and Panarin half-assed it. Panarin being Columbus only talented player and a loveable guy made Torts put up with it.

Panarin then got the hell away from Torts as soon he got the chance.

6 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Well Chicago traded him after two seasons and he left Torts after two seasons the first chance he got, so that’s a really strong example you’ve got about how coachable he is.

LOL, and you accuse me of mental gymnastics.  Chicago traded him because of the salary cap.  They knew they wouldn't be able to sign him long-term.  Their mistake was thinking Saad was the answer.  And you're holding it against him for leaving Columbus Ohio in free agency?

An associate head coach....wow!! We went from beer league speeches and helmet tosses to the Lab of hockey science and strategy. With Laviolettes fire and this staff's brains, this is definitely the last hoorah for this squad as a bunch. This is an elite coaching staff. Put it together or bring in some squad changes. Let's go!!!

7 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

I'm guessing Torts tried, and Panarin half-assed it. Panarin being Columbus only talented player and a loveable guy made Torts put up with it.

Panarin then got the hell away from Torts as soon he got the chance.

He got away from Torts, or he didn't want to sign a long term deal as a UFA to stay in Columbus?

LOL, and you accuse me of mental gymnastics.  Chicago traded him because of the salary cap.  They knew they wouldn't be able to sign him long-term.  Their mistake was thinking Saad was the answer.  And you're holding it against him for leaving Columbus Ohio in free agency?

Cap was not the primary reason. Chicago had just extended Panarin 6 months before the trade. It was just a bonus that Saad had a couple extra years on his contract

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/19717749/chicago-blackhawks-trade-niklas-hjalmarsson-artemi-panarin-deals-arizona-coyotes-columbus-blue-jackets

While Patrick Kane flourished with Panarin on his line the past few seasons -- winning the Hart Trophy in 2015-16 -- the Blackhawks have struggled to find a running mate for captain Jonathan Toews' top line since Saad was traded to Columbus.

Panarin has shown a higher offensive upside than Saad in his time in the league, but Saad is considered a better two-way forward. That becomes especially important with this week's news that Marian Hossa will miss the upcoming season with a skin condition. The 38-year-old was still considered one of the league's best defensive forwards.

It came down to needs and fit for the team. They felt Saad fit better defensively for what they needed. This type of move was not made without Quenneville's input, and I guess he didn't think Panarin's offense offset the other stuff enough to have him be a part of the lineup.

His defensive numbers have always been suspect. Maybe one or two above average years. The rest below average or just bad.

30 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Cap was not the primary reason. Chicago had just extended Panarin 6 months before the trade. It was just a bonus that Saad had a couple extra years on his contract

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/19717749/chicago-blackhawks-trade-niklas-hjalmarsson-artemi-panarin-deals-arizona-coyotes-columbus-blue-jackets

It came down to needs and fit for the team. They felt Saad fit better defensively for what they needed. This type of move was not made without Quenneville's input, and I guess he didn't think Panarin's offense offset the other stuff enough to have him be a part of the lineup.

His defensive numbers have always been suspect. Maybe one or two above average years. The rest below average or just bad.

Actually, IIRC, Quenneville hit the ceiling when they traded Panarin 

Edited by RangersIn7
  • Keeps it 100 1

31 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Cool.  They won 47 and 50 games when Panarin was there.  33, 36, 32 after he left.  Went from 10th in GA both years he was there to 22nd, 30th, 21st.  Trading Panarin really worked out for them.

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

44 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Flat out incorrect. I'm a Blackhawks fan, and the fact is that Toews and Kane wanted Saad back and it had nothing to do with defense. They wanted more grind, and when they traded Bread for him, those two and Quennville were livid. 

It's funny because you want to do the same exact thing and move Panarin for 60 point players, and it didn't work out too well for the Hawks. 

• Applause 1

9 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Cool.  They won 47 and 50 games when Panarin was there.  33, 36, 32 after he left.  Went from 10th in GA both years he was there to 22nd, 30th, 21st.  Trading Panarin really worked out for them.

Get out my head. 

57 minutes ago, Pete said:

Flat out incorrect. I'm a Blackhawks fan, and the fact is that Toews and Kane wanted Saad back and it had nothing to do with defense. They wanted more grind, and when they traded Bread for him, those two and Quennville were livid. 

It's funny because you want to do the same exact thing and move Panarin for 60 point players, and it didn't work out too well for the Hawks. 

Do you have a link that they were upset specifically about Panarin being traded, rather than Hjalmarsson who was a defensive cog on 3 Cup teams for them? All I've found is they were upset about the trades, but no clarification as to why. I am very surprised to learn that Bowman operated outside of Q's purview on that.

The downfall of the Hawks had way more to do with losing Hossa to age/injury, one of the better two way players of his generation and 3x Cup winner for them. They didn't win anything with Panarin. They won a Cup the year before Panarin, R1 exits both years with Panarin.

Real fans don't have two teams by the way. That's clown shoes. It also makes sense why you are obsessed with Panarin.

Edited by BrooksBurner

2 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Do you have a link that they were upset specifically about Panarin being traded, rather than Hjalmarsson who was a defensive cog on 3 Cup teams for them? All I've found is they were upset about the trades, but no clarification as to why. I am very surprised to learn that Bowman operated outside of Q's purview on that.

The downfall of the Hawks had way more to do with losing Hossa to age/injury, one of the better two way players of his generation and 3x Cup winner for them. They didn't win anything with Panarin. They won a Cup the year before Panarin, R1 exits both years with Panarin.

Real fans don't have two teams by the way. That's clown shoes. It also makes sense why you are obsessed with Panarin.

If only I cared about your definition of real fans. Also an odd choice of words, considering if there's anybody obsessed with Bread here it's you. Dude lives in your head rent free.  🤣

Edited by Pete

“What he did very well with the power play was he provided them enough structure to allow their creativity to flourish within the structure,” Appert said. “He did a good job of not ever pressing the panic button when the group was struggling. Sometimes you have a few bad games, as assistants you feel at times your self-worth is tied to the percentage of your PP or PK and he did a good job of maintaining a calm voice and offering them solutions.

“As fiery and intense as he was as a player, he’s different as a coach. He’s calm, he’s calculated, he’s intelligent. It doesn’t mean the fire doesn’t exist, you never take that out of a guy like him. He has a really nice, calm demeanor in terms of his approach, a steadiness as a coach.”

https://theathletic.com/4635698/2023/06/23/new-york-rangers-michael-peca-coach/

--

The more I read about Peca, the more I love this hire. He and Muse are (on paper) a breath of fresh air.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Keeps it 100 1
  • Believe 2

18 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Muse has a lot of positive feedback as well. If things work out well, he may be a future head coach himself one day. Like, maybe for this team when Laviolette retires or gets fired?

Let’s hope it goes that well 

• Applause 1
  • Believe 1

11 hours ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Year 10 of "Maybe Kreider finally could become the physical beast we all hoped he would be".

I'm not holding my breath lol.

Well he was that back in 14, when he was running goalies left and right. 

Plus, we all thought he'd never reach that goal scorer status,  and yet he just put up 52 and 36 goal seasons at age 30 and 31. 

You never know with this guy. 

He did the physical thing once before. Maybe he can put it alllll together now.  It's a better sentiment than expecting Panarin and Zibanejad to start doing it. 

It's looking like they are stuck with what's here. Who else would you suggest we put this thought behind? 

3 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

A real fan would know Hjalmarsson meant more to the guys and the franchise than a guy who had been there for 2 years.

I don't even understand the purpose of this tweet and what you're trying to prove. 

But you're trying real hard to go for a point that probably doesn't exist.