• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Sign Erik Gustafsson to 1-Year/$825k Deal

The Dude

Just now, jsm7302 said:

It's just a shame because he has had the positive team first mindset, keeping his head down, not complaining and putting in the work. Kid isn't a slug. I'd be happy for him to cut his teeth on this team.

Same, but you can't keep everyone and that's the purpose of a solid farm, play the assets or flip them for a need. 

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1

1 hour ago, jsm7302 said:

Zac Jones is gunna request a trade this year. 

1 hour ago, RodrigueGabriel said:

Does have the feels of Nils.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

And just like Nils, I'm happy to take the pick. 

51 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

It's just a shame because he has had the positive team first mindset, keeping his head down, not complaining and putting in the work. Kid isn't a slug. I'd be happy for him to cut his teeth on this team.

49 minutes ago, Pete said:

Same, but you can't keep everyone and that's the purpose of a solid farm, play the assets or flip them for a need. 

He’s going to get opportunity to make the team and play. He’s only 22. 

And he doesn’t have that kind of 1st round pedigree where guys who’ve played so little can say that type of thing and look not a huge ass by doing it. 

If something like that happens, you deal with it.

Hes not a 1st. He’s not a premium prospect. 
And if his attitude is right, then it’s probably not gonna be a big issue. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RodrigueGabriel said:

Does have the feels of Nils.

Not even remotely. Lightbulb Head was promised a roster spot, did nothing to earn it, and cried his way out. Jones has put his head down and worked the whole way.

• Bullseye 1

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Not even remotely. Lightbulb Head was promised a roster spot, did nothing to earn it, and cried his way out. Jones has put his head down and worked the whole way.

They come in with different attitudes, but - for both - when it looked like they had a clear path to a spot, the mgt got someone who could block that spot. Hopefully Jones can remain resolute, but it's a statement of no-confidence and can't be easy. The similarity is that it's the kind of move that could make a promising young player start to wonder if their best shot isn't elsewhere.

Edited by RodrigueGabriel
  • Believe 1

Really thought Jones getting a 2 year deal a few weeks ago showed a commitment to just going with him as a 6/7 (obviouslycontingenton him playingwellenough). Not so sure now.

There's no way Gustafsson doesn't make the roster. And with how Drury fears losing a possible asset to waivers, I can see the ol' numbers game coming into effect.

Meaning, the guy who deserves to stay, but doesn't have to clear waivers, gets sent down.  While a guy that could potentially get you a 4th round pick in trade,  but isn't going to play or will play sparingly stays on the roster and contributes little. You also have the built in excuse of "he has to play big minutes and he's not going to get them here."

We saw it last year with Kravstov, Hajek, Gauthier, Carpenter,  Leschyshyn,  Reaves and even Blais. He's gotta stop hoarding this year. 

If Harpur looks OK but Jones or Robertson out play him. Do the right thing.  If Cuylle or Othmann outplay Pitlick, Bonino  or even Vesey. Do the right thing. 

These moves are perfect if they use them as insurance for the kids not being good enough.  Hopefully that's the intention.  I don't think this signing has that intent. 

It's a good signing. To get a player with the production hes had at this cost... Its a no brainer. Its great as in insurance policy incase of injury. Hopefully he can produce in a 3rd pair role. If not, the coach and the GM better act appropriately, by not hoarding middling hanger ons, when the better option is to commit to youth. 

Are these deals cheap enough to where the Rangers can carry  2 extra forwards and 2 extra D? Would they want to?

3 hours ago, The Dude said:

Really thought Jones getting a 2 year deal a few weeks ago showed a commitment to just going with him as a 6/7 (obviouslycontingenton him playingwellenough). Not so sure now.

There's no way Gustafsson doesn't make the roster. And with how Drury fears losing a possible asset to waivers, I can see the ol' numbers game coming into effect.

Meaning, the guy who deserves to stay, but doesn't have to clear waivers, gets sent down.  While a guy that could potentially get you a 4th round pick in trade,  but isn't going to play or will play sparingly stays on the roster and contributes little. You also have the built in excuse of "he has to play big minutes and he's not going to get them here."

We saw it last year with Kravstov, Hajek, Gauthier, Carpenter,  Leschyshyn,  Reaves and even Blais. He's gotta stop hoarding this year. 

If Harpur looks OK but Jones or Robertson out play him. Do the right thing.  If Cuylle or Othmann outplay Pitlick, Bonino  or even Vesey. Do the right thing. 

These moves are perfect if they use them as insurance for the kids not being good enough.  Hopefully that's the intention.  I don't think this signing has that intent. 

It's a good signing. To get a player with the production hes had at this cost... Its a no brainer. Its great as in insurance policy incase of injury. Hopefully he can produce in a 3rd pair role. If not, the coach and the GM better act appropriately, by not hoarding middling hanger ons, when the better option is to commit to youth. 

Are these deals cheap enough to where the Rangers can carry  2 extra forwards and 2 extra D? Would they want to?

It's probably worth noting that Jones is no longer waivers exempt. If he doesn't make the team, we've almost got no choice but to trade him since there's no way he gets through waivers.

• VINNY! 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

3 hours ago, LindG1000 said:

It's probably worth noting that Jones is no longer waivers exempt. If he doesn't make the team, we've almost got no choice but to trade him since there's no way he gets through waivers.

Oh wow. I didn't realize that. It really was stupid to waste his first year of ELC on 10 meaningless games, after his season was over with UMASS. I knew that was a bad idea. Why bother? The team was dogshit and it wasn't worth the burning of a year,  especially since he had zero time with the Rangers or Hartford. 

It's ridiculous to think he really hasn't gotten an opportunity here, with some of the guys that played over him. 

What a waste. It's almost like my good buddy @josh used to say. "I don't think Drury knows how waivers work."

So, it's either he makes the team or he's gone. That's bad management. Just poorly thought out. I mean I guess they can waive/send down Harpur. 

I'm bummed now. 

28 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

We still need a big roster move. 37 y.o. Blake Wheeler isn’t solving jack shit

Meh. I think it's just about right. Just needed a competent guy that can be relied upon to contribute something,  anything.  Wheeler still has some game breakers left in him. So, he's more than enough, based on what they can afford.  

• VINNY! 1

25 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Meh. I think it's just about right. Just needed a competent guy that can be relied upon to contribute something,  anything.  Wheeler still has some game breakers left in him. So, he's more than enough, based on what they can afford.  

More will come at deadline too. 

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

Oh wow. I didn't realize that. It really was stupid to waste his first year of ELC on 10 meaningless games, after his season was over with UMASS. I knew that was a bad idea. Why bother? The team was dogshit and it wasn't worth the burning of a year,  especially since he had zero time with the Rangers or Hartford. 

It's ridiculous to think he really hasn't gotten an opportunity here, with some of the guys that played over him. 

What a waste. It's almost like my good buddy @josh used to say. "I don't think Drury knows how waivers work."

So, it's either he makes the team or he's gone. That's bad management. Just poorly thought out. I mean I guess they can waive/send down Harpur. 

I'm bummed now. 

We burnt year one of that deal under Gorton, and Jones has had a few cups of coffee in both subsequent seasons. He's played 38 NHL games over three seasons, and to wit, he was outplayed by Lindgren, outplayed by Miller - neither of which is surprising - and well....not outplayed by Nemeth, but certainly out-fit-the-Gallant-defender-mold by Nemeth, then Harpur, then Miikola.

Dude needed seasoning for sure. Hopefully he's ready. If not, he's probably got enough pedigree and a low cap hit to warrant a 2nd rounder or so.

• Believe 1

4 minutes ago, siddious said:

This actually worries me. We don’t need an offensive defenseman on the third pair. Marc staal would have been a better signing. 

I'd have been fine with Staal, but the team doesn't have enough puck-moving capability on the blue line (based on their performance the last two years). I think Jones or Gustafsson are the right adds to let Schneider continue to develop his defensive game (which stinks).

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

I'd have been fine with Staal, but the team doesn't have enough puck-moving capability on the blue line (based on their performance the last two years). I think Jones or Gustafsson are the right adds to let Schneider continue to develop his defensive game (which stinks).

I hope you’re right.