• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

New York Rangers Depth Chart: an Early Look at the 2023-24 Lineup

Phil

Here’s where we’ve landed for the 22-man roster projected for opening night:

Screen-Shot-2023-07-06-at-7.28.23-AM-153

We’re playing it safe with this one to start. Lafrenière, who comes in at 2x$2.5 million in this exercise, may not start yet another season as the LW3 maybe he gets a crack at the top line spot on the left, maybe he goes to the right side and moves up a line. Those moves will be sorted by opening night. For now, with a veteran coach in Peter Laviolette and the same GM who has seen all of Laf’s ups and downs, we’ll go conservative off the bat.

The same is true for Filip Chytil, who could very easily earn a 2C spot. If Laviolette had any influence in Drury’s veteran-minimum additions last weekend, you’d think the new Rangers coach would prefer a more traditional third line with a checking-style center. That says Vincent Trocheck more than Chytil, so we will see how that develops in September and early October.

If we were looking to shake things up a bit, here’s our alternate top 12:

Panarin-Zibanejad-Kakko

Lafrenière-Chytil-Wheeler

Kreider-Trocheck-Goodrow

Vesey-Bonino-Pitlick

The battle for the fourth line will be one to watch. Nick Bonino should have a clear track to being the 4C he’s got familiarity with Laviolette from Nashville and he’s held that spot for a long time on a wide variety of teams.

On defense, the only mysteries are what Miller will sign for and who gets the 6/7 spots. We’ve got Miller at 2x$3.9 million, which is maybe on the conservative end. A 22-man roster only leaves so much wiggle room so this deal seemingly can’t go above $4.4 million in AAV; if Drury can keep it to under $4 million per that’s a win for the GM.

Domingue may also end up being a Ranger this season. We’ll see if Quick can bounce back from his ugly 2022-23; if he’s unable to be a true backup for the first time in his storied career, the Rangers may need Domingue to jump in for a stretch.

https://theathletic.com/4667633/2023/07/06/new-york-rangers-depth-chart-signings-gm-chris-drury/

• VINNY! 1

20 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I’d be ok with either lineup to start with, though I’d still prefer the kid line intact at the beginning. I like his shake up lines a lot more than the safe lines. If it were Goodrow-Kakko-Wheeler down the right it’s basically what I have.

You have Goodrow on the top line? You're a wild man.

That feels like a last-ditch effort come December if/when shit with Wheeler (and Kakko, too) kinda hits the fan.

To me, the "shake things up" lineup Staple is projecting is all but a lock for opening night.

Panarin-Zibanejad-Kakko

Kreider-Trocheck-Goodrow

Vesey-Bonino-Pitlick

Kreider-Trocheck-Goodrow is about as close as this roster can get to building a legitimate checking line, which appears to be a central focus of the off-season going into next year. I just don't see what else you can do here other than swap Laugh for Panarin, which could happen at some point, but probably won't to start the year for obvious reasons (Laugh sucks).

7 minutes ago, Phil said:

You have Goodrow on the top line? You're a wild man.

That feels like a last-ditch effort come December if/when shit with Wheeler (and Kakko, too) kinda hits the fan.

Nope. I’ve got greasy Vesey there actually. Panarin needs a grunt and Vesey was a better grunt last year. Defensive dynamo too.

1 minute ago, BrooksBurner said:

Nope. I’ve got greasy Vesey there actually. Panarin needs a grunt and Vesey was a better grunt last year. Defensive dynamo too.

Wild. Man.

Though I don't hate this idea as much as the idea of Goodrow, first-line RW.

2 minutes ago, BreakawayMachine said:

My dream....

Panarin-Zibanejad-Kakko

Othmann-Chytil-Tarasenko

Kreider-Trocheck-Wheeler

Vesey-Bonino-Pitlick

Lafrenière traded for draft picks to be used pn fast centers and puck carrying defensemen

Also another potential eventuality, but most definitely not an out of the gate lineup come October. It's mostly tea-leaf reading, but all the beat writers/mouth pieces have been cautioning patience on Othmann. He'd have to go on an absolute tear in the preseason to force their hands, I think, and even then, I'm just not sure it's worth potentially damaging his development into professional hockey. He really needs AHL time first where he can get his sea legs away from the win-now mandate.

9 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I still would not rule out Kane being here on the cheap if healthy. I would then roll with:

Lafreniere-Zibanejad-Kakko

Panarin-Chytil-Kane

Kreider-Trocheck-Wheeler

Pitlick-Bonino-Goodrow

You forgot motte and Tarasenko 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Panarin-Zibanejad-Kakko

Kreider-Trocheck-Goodrow

Cuylle-Bonino-Vesey

Pitlick 13th forward.

I wanna see "Cool Hand" too!  I like this one the most so far.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, Phil said:

Wild. Man.

Though I don't hate this idea as much as the idea of Goodrow, first-line RW.

Barring a miraculous jump by someone else, Goodrow or Vesey will be in the top 9. It doesn’t really matter what “line number”. The top 9 was all rolled pretty equally at 5v5 last year. Not a lot of disparity. I see more of the same unless Laviolette operates differently with respect to usage.

Panarin and Zibanejad need some grunt/defensive responsibility on their lines. I get wanting to put a Kakko or a Wheeler there, but those guys need the puck. Can’t have 3 guys who all need the puck on a line IMO.

Edited by BrooksBurner
  • Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

5 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Barring a miraculous jump by someone else, Goodrow or Vesey will be in the top 9. It doesn’t really matter what “line number”. The top 9 was all rolled pretty equally at 5v5 last year. Not a lot of disparity. I see more of the same unless Laviolette operates differently with respect to usage.

Panarin and Zibanejad need some grunt/defensive responsibility on their lines. I get wanting to put a Kakko or a Wheeler there, but those guys need the puck. Can’t have 3 guys who all need the puck on a line IMO.

It's more about who they'll play against, less about specific minutes. 14 ES minutes playing opposing second and third lines is way better for that player than 16 ES minutes against the Crosby line.

• ALEXIS! 1

21 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Panarin and Zibanejad are a good pairing because they have demonstrated chemistry with Zibanejad willing to shoot when he is fed and Panarin willing to feed him.  The best guy to put alongside them is Kreider but since LW...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Phil said:

It's more about who they'll play against, less about specific minutes. 14 ES minutes playing opposing second and third lines is way better for that player than 16 ES minutes against the Crosby line.

I get the theory behind this, but I'm not sure how a guy like Wheeler instead of Goodrow or Vesey helps Zibanejad or Panarin more against Crosby. I think it's the other way around.

I feel like the fan base in general has a tendency to value jamming names at the top without considering role or fit. "Vesey isn't as good as Wheeler so why is he slotted up"...no, maybe not, but he's probably a better fit.

6 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Panarin and Zibanejad are a good pairing because they have demonstrated chemistry with Zibanejad willing to shoot when he is fed and Panarin willing to feed him.  The best guy to put alongside them is Kreider but since LW...

I'd love to see that. I've wanted Kreider on the right for two years. I've resorted to the fact it's just not going to happen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

I'd love to see that. I've wanted Kreider on the right for two years. I've resorted to the fact it's just not going to happen.

They’ve been reluctant to try it because they did so, 5,6, 8 years ago, or whenever, for a smaller number of games, and it didn’t work.

And that means it can’t work now. 
Or ever.

Because players can’t evolve, change, or improve. Ever.

Edited by RangersIn7

18 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

They’ve been reluctant to try it because they did so, 5,6, 8 years ago, or whenever, for a smaller number of games, and it didn’t work.

And that means it can’t work now. 
Or ever.

Because players can’t evolve, change, or improve. Ever.

No, they tried it much more recently than that. I think it might have even been at the beginning of Gallant's first year. Not completely sure, however it lasted all of three shifts. Unclear on if it was on the player or coach. 

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

No, they tried it much more recently than that. I think it might have even been at the beginning of Gallant's first year. Not completely sure, however it lasted all of three shifts. Unclear on if it was on the player or coach. 

Ok.

I remember it from the Tortorella/Vigneault days. 
The 7 minute experiment part rings a bell.

I love CK. But he may need to bite the bullet and be a leader.

His game is in front of the net. It doesn’t matter which wing he plays.

Edited by RangersIn7

14 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Ok.

I remember it from the Tortorella/Vigneault days. 
The 7 minute experiment part rings a bell.

I love CK. But he may need to bite the bullet and be a leader.

His game is in front of the net. It doesn’t matter which wing he plays.

Yeah, I don't know. When a guy's been doing something for 25 years you probably defer and have the guy who's only been doing it for 15 make the switch. 

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Yeah, I don't know. When a guy's been doing something for 25 years you probably defer and have the guy who's only been doing it for 15 make the switch. 

I’m fine with whomever switching.

Ill just say this Pete…

I’ve been watching, playing, and coaching hockey, all told, for 35+ years.

Switching from your natural wing, to your off-wing, it’s not that easy. But it’s a finite level and can very much be overcome. Particularly by players who are or fancy themselves as top-6 players. 

It is not….

“Oh, I lost my leg, so now I have to learn to walk on one,” kind of hard. 

It can be done.

Especially by your better players.

But it kind of has to come from your organization.

They have to want it. And really make it known.

There are things they can do on their end to help it along.

And, here’s the key…. They have to stick with it. 

Personally, in that regard, for offensive players, playing with your stick to the middle of the ice, I’ve always felt it’s actually advantageous. Even if your not a shooter.

Puck just moves/transitions quicker and cleaner in respect to offense. 

Left side/ Right side, be it F or D, is important. 

But to be completely married to appropriate handedness, left/right on appropriate side, is nonsense. 

7 hours ago, BreakawayMachine said:

My dream....

Panarin-Zibanejad-Kakko

Othmann-Chytil-Tarasenko

Kreider-Trocheck-Wheeler

Vesey-Bonino-Pitlick

Lafrenière traded for draft picks to be used on fast centers and puck carrying defensemen

Replace puck carrying defensemen with hard nosed RW who likes to shoot and we are almost best friends. Id rather a beastly center, but fast skating is an option I can get on board with. Best Friends Friend GIF by PermissionIO

• Like 1