• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Expected to Sign Lafreniere to 2-year Bridge With $2.5–2.75m AAV

Phil

22 minutes ago, Kreiders Rider said:

In the gym he says

Cracking Up Lol GIF

Remember the rest of that sketch.

Don’t judge a book by its cover.

Charlie Murphy said it best:

”He was grabbing rebounds like Charles Barkley. He was crossing cats. He crossed me up! Made my knees slam together!”

All in the same shit they was wearing in the club!

• LMFAO 2

I forget. Can Lafrenières contract be heavily incentive laden? Could this be a hold up? I'd respect the fat fuck a lot more if he took a low base salary and agreed to some incentive bonus type stuff to make his money. Giving the team some cap flexibility this year and paying the bonuses on next seasons larger cap. 

13 hours ago, The Dude said:

I forget. Can Lafrenières contract be heavily incentive laden? Could this be a hold up? I'd respect the fat fuck a lot more if he took a low base salary and agreed to some incentive bonus type stuff to make his money. Giving the team some cap flexibility this year and paying the bonuses on next seasons larger cap. 

No

He does not meet the qualifications for performance bonuses and incentives.

CBA allows for those things under only 3 conditions:

1) Player is on an ELC.

2) Player is over age 35 and signing a 1-year contract.

3) Player has signed 1-year contract after returning from a long-term injury (has played more than 400 games, and spent 100 or more days on IR in the last year of their most recent contract).

That’s it. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/2/2023 at 10:21 AM, Cash or Czech said:

He hasn't posted on Instagram since July 3rd so hopefully he's too busy in the gym and at the rink to post pics or sign contracts. 

Another positive. Over the last three seasons:

spacer.png

If you wanna feel shitty though, Jack Hughes has 64 even strength goals during this time. Stutzle 48. Byfield 7.

6 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Not only is he not very good, but his attitude really sucks too and he's lazy. The worst first overall pick of all time (for right now anyway) forever linked to the New York Rangers. Embarrassing.

Could be worse, Sharpy!!!  The Caps passed on Mike Bossy to pick Greg Joly in 1974!  YIKES!

The only saving grace here is he was the consensus number 1 and they didn't go off the board with this pick. I bet he is waiting to see if they make more cap space room before pre season starts. Drury may be shopping someone and telling him to stand by.

1 hour ago, jsm7302 said:

The only saving grace here is he was the consensus number 1 and they didn't go off the board with this pick. I bet he is waiting to see if they make more cap space room before pre season starts. Drury may be shopping someone and telling him to stand by.

That would be an awful decision.

3 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

Shopping Harpur? Not a terrible decision. Premature signing last year and plenty of competition for that role next year.

I meant paying 🍩 any more than $2.5. Can you imagine how much more he'd eat?

• ALEXIS! 1

6 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

What makes the Laf pick even more acceptable besides being the consensus #1. If they traded down to get Byfield (at a position of weakness for this roster), we would be crucifying the org SOOOO HARRDDD for the past few years.

The Kings drafted Byfield knowing that he wasn’t NHL ready. The whole league had that book on him.

Everyone pretty much said he would need to grow into that massive frame and that he was very talented, but also very raw. Great physical attributes, high skill, but almost no refinement.

There was some talk that he might even go back to Junior for 20-21,  and if not that, he’d certainly be in the AHL to start. Which is where he ended up. 

He was tagged as needing 2, perhaps even part of 3 seasons from being a full-time NHL’er from the beginning. Spent almost all of 20-21 in the A, as they pretty much knew he would.

21-22 I believe he fractured his ankle early on, and missed a few months, then went to the A for a while and didn’t play in LA till like January or February. It was not a good year for him and he really struggled. 

Then he got demoted to the A early last year after starting the season with the Kings, but really lit it up in the month or so he was down there.

Looking like he’s here to stay now. But who knows how long till he starts producing.

On 8/2/2023 at 10:16 AM, Art20c said:

Honestly I don’t think he is tradable in the sense of getting something even remotely close to what we wasted on him. Nobody will give us bottom first round pick for him let alone top 10. 

They can't trade him, who will we pick on if he isn't on the team?

What is taking so long with the Lafrenière contract?  Will R.

Before we start thinking about any theories — and neither Laf’s agent nor the Rangers have said anything about the contract talks, so they would all be theories at this point — let me point out that Kaapo Kakko signed his bridge deal on July 28 of last year and there are still half a dozen unsigned players in the same boat as Lafrenière, including Trevor Zegras and Evan Bouchard.

So this is not completely unique. It may be that Laf’s camp is hoping for something wild (offer sheet) to happen or that the hold-up is over one year vs. two years. Or it’s just not a top-line priority for either side since it doesn’t appear that Lafrenière is going anywhere.

We could hear something to the contrary in the next few weeks and if he’s still unsigned as players start arriving back in New York ahead of training camp next month, then you can start to worry a bit. Until then, it doesn’t appear as though anything is out of the ordinary.

https://theathletic.com/4746215/2023/08/03/rangers-alexis-lafreniere-contract-peter-laviolette-coaching-staff-rookies/?campaign=5888993&source=dailyemail

Annual Average Value (AAV) Compensation
$1,386,490 or below No compensation
$1,386,491 to $2,100,742 Third-round pick
$2,100,743 to $4,201,488 Second-round pick
$4,201,489 to $6,302,234 First-round pick and third-round pick
$6,302,235 to $8,402,979 First-round pick and second-round pick
$8,402,980 to $10,503,724 Two first-round picks
$10,503,725 or more Four first-round picks

I don't know that he's worth a 2nd rounder to another team. I'd take one for him.

Edited by Pete
  • ALEXIS! 1

The Rangers would get access to a second buyout window due to Brandon Scanlin electing arbitration, not due to offer sheet. Scanlin re-signed recently, so I think that window now closes.

My best guess is if Lafreniere was offer sheeted today, the team would get the standard window to match or walk. I forget what it is, seven days?

46 minutes ago, Phil said:

The Rangers would get access to a second buyout window due to Brandon Scanlin electing arbitration, not due to offer sheet. Scanlin re-signed recently, so I think that window now closes.

My best guess is if Lafreniere was offer sheeted today, the team would get the standard window to match or walk. I forget what it is, seven days?

It shouldn't take them 7 minutes to decide. If he signs a sheet, it means he's OK playing elsewhere. Let him.

• Keeps it 100 1