• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Expected to Sign Lafreniere to 2-year Bridge With $2.5–2.75m AAV

Phil

That's it right there, Pete. Perhaps he just isn't that good, or all of the hype and everything inflated his ego so much that he feels like he doesn't need to put in the work at the NHL level. I fear it may be more the latter here.  If he can't get it going under this new staff, then all hope is lost for me. He did seem to be one of Gallant's biggest critics apparently, so I guess we'll see.

• ALEXIS! 2

17 hours ago, Phil said:

I mean, it shouldn't. It's clear where it needs to fall. The only real squabble might be attainable bonuses or the exact nature of the year-to-year variance. As a point of comparison, Miller's deal is $2,748,000 base this coming year + $350,000 bonuses, then $4,646,000 pure base in year two (setting the floor for his next deal).

Laugh will probably do something similar.

Ok sure Laf let’s give you a 50 goal bonus 

Cracking Up Lol GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

• LMFAO 1

15 hours ago, Pete said:

Because only one of those players is stagnant, and he's the one who gets the most heat.

Meh. I don’t feel like he’s been stagnant.

But we’ll find out when camp opens. 
Cause you’re gonna know pretty much right away.

4 hours ago, Pete said:

Fox had his path blocked by two players. He just went out and outplayed them, and won a Norris in the process. Miller doesn't get PP time, but he's flourishing offensively. What's Lafreniere excuse? 

You're making the point for us. Fox and Miller have "it". Lafreniere doesn't. Chytil and Kakko might. 

I also find your spin on events fascinating. They asked permission to rebuild? No they didn't. They communicated what was going to happen. They're not the first or only team to do this. 

Then, your complaint is that they rebuilt too fast? Got too many good players to come? WTF?

For all the "well first rounders usually come in with top line minutes and PP times on bad teams"... Sure, maybe, but that's not by design, it's by necessity. Don't you think the staff of those teams would love to ease in their top players slowly, perhaps against lesser competition on the third line? Rather than throwing them to the wolves? I mean you've seen Lafreniere play, right? Can you imagine him up against the other team's top shut down unit every night? He'd look even worse. 

You can finagle all the numbers and shift the conversation to "if he wasn't a #1!"... But anyone watching this guy play can see there's no there there. There's no "it". He's a #1 overall who's never the best player on the ice at anything hockey related. Let that sink in. 

Proud Classic Tv GIF by Sony Pictures Television

• LOL 1

1 hour ago, Cash or Czech said:

Duchene at $3M is probably better than Wheeler+Laf at $3.5M

1 hour ago, RangersIn7 said:

Maybe

But I don’t think he wanted to be here and he’s notoriously inconsistent.

Yeah, I don't think it's any coincidence he quickly landed in Texas after spending years in Tennessee. He's a big country guy. I'm pretty sure he wants to be in those markets.

16 minutes ago, Phil said:

Yeah, I don't think it's any coincidence he quickly landed in Texas after spending years in Tennessee. He's a big country guy. I'm pretty sure he wants to be in those markets.

Drive an hour north of NYC and you're in cousin-bumpin country too. We should really make an educational flier about it.

Edited by Cash or Czech

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Exactly.

He wants to be in an “I don’t give a fuck about it” market, where he can collect his check and be under no pressure.

That’s fine.

Go there.

9 hours ago, Br4d said:

I don't know maybe the Rangers are just unlucky with all the #1's that don't work out.

Except you and I both know that's not the case.

I've been waiting 50 years for the Rangers to grow a great forward from scratch and I'm still waiting.

In 50 years Brian Leetch is still the only great skater the Rangers have developed.

You've been waiting 50 years and are trying really hard to make this fat kid that long lost "from scratch" forward, and hes not anywhere near being that.

Kovalev had more of "it" . Callahan had more of "it". Amonte had more of "it". Turcotte had more of "it". Mike York, Prucha, Dubinsky, Anisimov, Stepan, Kreider, JT Miller, Buchnevich, Duclair... all these players had more "it" in their game than Lafrenière has shown.  These guys all showed enough to force their way up the lineup at whatever time they started in the league. 

Its that 1OA stigma that you want to keep him around for. It's understandable.  But you have to take your lumps in trying to make excuses for him.

I'm just done with him. "Its" not there. Not here with the Rangers anyway.  And since it's evident that he can't force his way up the lineup (because he's not good enough), I (and others) can't stand the sight of the failed 1OA.  If he succeeds elsewhere.  Good for him.  I wish he could have done it here. 

6 minutes ago, The Dude said:

You've been waiting 50 years and are trying really hard to make this fat kid that long lost "from scratch" forward, and hes not anywhere near being that.

Kovalev had more of "it" . Callahan had more of "it". Amonte had more of "it". Turcotte had more of "it". Mike York, Prucha, Dubinsky, Anisimov, Stepan, Kreider, JT Miller, Buchnevich, Duclair... all these players had more "it" in their game than Lafrenière has shown.  These guys all showed enough to force their way up the lineup at whatever time they started in the league. 

Its that 1OA stigma that you want to keep him around for. It's understandable.  But you have to take your lumps in trying to make excuses for him.

I'm just done with him. "Its" not there. Not here with the Rangers anyway.  And since it's evident that he can't force his way up the lineup (because he's not good enough), I (and others) can't stand the sight of the failed 1OA.  If he succeeds elsewhere.  Good for him.  I wish he could have done it here. 

This is where roster construction took a nose dive. We dealt a successful contributor who has only gotten better and is still a position of weakness for this roster. Say what you want about cap $$. That was poor roster management.

Just now, jsm7302 said:

This is where roster construction took a nose dive. We dealt a successful contributor who has only gotten better and is still a position of weakness for this roster. Say what you want about cap $$. That was poor roster management.

Yeah, but it's been beaten to death by me and others. It was a mistake.  It was dumb. It's the only really poor move by Drury so far (that i can think of). All GMs have a few of those. 

As bad of a move as it was. The team did make it to the ECF that year. So.... shrug. 

• Keeps it 100 1