• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Why Rangers Should Consider Even More Thrifty Roster Additions

Phil

4 minutes ago, Br4d said:

I think their kid goalie is probably ok.

Ruff nearly threw the series by not starting him from game one.

Schmid stunk almost as often as he was good. How many times did he get pulled in the playoffs? 3 times in 8 games? I would not be pinning my hopes on him and feeling 100% confident just yet. Vanecek had a good season but was wobbly in the playoffs.

2 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Schmid stunk almost as often as he was good. How many times did he get pulled in the playoffs? 3 times in 8 games? I would not be pinning my hopes on him and feeling 100% confident just yet. Vanecek had a good season but was wobbly in the playoffs.

Schmid was helped by being an unknown with zero scouting on. 

On 8/8/2023 at 11:30 AM, Phil said:

Agreed, or more specifically: higher in the lineup. It starts (and ends ) with the top-six.

I think individual players softness probably gets overstated relative to team style of play.

Panarin wasn't known to be soft before he got here. Kreids, Kakko, Trochek...these are not guys whose very makeup seems to be soft - maybe they've been showcased in a 'soft' system/culture. Zib is just a world class player - you don't dictate too much to a guy at his level - just unlock his natural genius.

Whenever there gets to be this reputation that most players on a team fit a certain mold, i ask the question - how did that happen? Like - what are the chances the NYR just happen to miss on a consensus 1OA and 2OA? What are the chances the NYR just happen to sign, extend, trade for all these 'soft' players? Seems more easily explainable by the system.